Skip to main content

IS MY DIAGNOSIS CORRECT? ARE THESE THE SYMPTOMS OF GERD /ACID REFLUX?

//IS MY DIAGNOSIS CORRECT? ARE THESE THE SYMPTOMS OF GERD /ACID REFLUX?
IS MY DIAGNOSIS CORRECT? ARE THESE THE SYMPTOMS OF GERD /ACID REFLUX?2016-03-10T17:51:52+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD IS MY DIAGNOSIS CORRECT? ARE THESE THE SYMPTOMS OF GERD /ACID REFLUX?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve only just discovered this forum and have a couple of questions.

I’m a 54 year old woman and my problem started about 16 months ago when I was taking a course of the antibiotic doxycycline (it was my own fault as I think I took the evening dose too close to lying down to go to sleep).

I’d never had any kind of digestive problems before but, ever since then, my symptoms – which are always at night only – are: a feeling of pressure on my chest and a sometimes a feeling there’s something slightly “stuck” under my breastbone; squelching noises below my oesophagus(?); discomfort in my abdomen (I couldn’t say exactly where) and sometimes a weird sensation as if my whole stomach and intestines are swimming in water. Also a “gnawing”, empty feeling which is not painful as such. All of this keeps me awake, or wakes me up, nearly every night. The sensations gradually subside when I get up.

I had an endoscopy about a year ago which showed I had a hiatus hernia and also inflammation in the oesophagus and stomach. I was put on Nexium which I took reluctantly, having read so much bad stuff about it. I continued for 8 weeks after which I started experiencing some troubling side effects like joint pain, so I stopped. The drug didn’t seem to do anything to help during that time.

Since then I’ve just been trying to manage the problem myself – by eating early in the evening/not eating very much – but that helps only to a limited extent (I eat a healthy diet which isn’t acidic; I’m not overweight). Unfortunately I have found my GP and the gastroenterologist pretty unhelpful; the only thing they ever suggest is taking Nexium which doesn’t sound like any kind of solution to me.

QUESTION 1
    Are my symptoms definitely those of GERD/Acid reflux (as I’m told by the doctor)? I certainly don’t have any sensation that would make me think of Acid – there’s no burning feeling at all and I don’t actually feel as though anything is “coming up” from my stomach. Is there any explanation for my symptoms other than GERD, or is this what it sounds like to you fellow sufferers? It would be so helpful for someone to clarify this for me.

QUESTION 2
    Can a hiatus hernia ever repair itself or am I stuck with this for life? Is the hernia likely to be the root cause of the problem?

I had other questions but now can’t think of them, so will post this for now in the hope there’s help out there! I’m just so worried I’ll never get better.

Many thanks in advance.

conniex
    Participant

Sorry, there was a bit more info I needed to add: I’ve been tested for SIBO and H. Pylori infection – both were negative.

Thanks again.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.