Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Jaeme, Sorry another question! Do you notice you have more gas if you take more magnesium? I am way less bloated but still having some gas and taking 400mg of mag. at night. Wondering if that is what is causing the gas as I am following the diet very carefully. Maybe it just takes the full two weeks for some of us to get the overgrowth down a bit to not have so many gas symptoms?

Tx!

Jaeme
    Participant

I certainly understand your rush to get better, Bearsmom. I was the same way. Please give the two week plan a full go of it, then try adding back in one food at a time. I was very strict with the FP points, even trying to make meals for the day that kept the points as low as possible (I did not do the desserts, unless it was just the simple fruit cup with some cream). After the two weeks, I would eat a little of one type of food (such as full lactose milk, not a problem but I am guessing I have the lactose-digesting gene due to ancestry). Then a week or so later, try another food. Higher FP fruits seem to be okay, so I don’t think fructose is a problem for me either. What got me every time were potatoes or if I ate too much bread (or even a little whole grain bread) or anything starchy. I would know, because I would start burping like crazy again and my LPR symptoms came back. So then back off of those things for a while, and try again. Norm says in his book, and it was the same for me, that as your digestive system heals and the gut flora re-balances, you may find you can increase tolerances for foods (but need to know your limits). I now eat dark chocolate, and have even tolerated small amounts of potato.

I like to think of the process of re-balancing the gut flora as a football game. There are two teams (the SIBO and the Good Guys). As one team starts winning, the other will change strategies and make a comeback, and then the first team changes strategies, etc. So, I did have some setbacks just as if the SIBO was making a last stand, but after a few months everything balanced out.

So to answer your questions about the Mag, if you are only on the first week of the FTD diet, it is hard to say if it is causing your issues.

AndreaS
    Participant

I agree with Jaeme, just wanted to stress 1 point: Stick to 1 diet plan(*) for at least 2 weeks, try to change as little as possible. I.e., don’t try to add this or remove that, stick to what you started with, and keep a log. Actually, I started with 1-2 week cycles, now I recommend to stick to a plan for 3-4 weeks (unless symptoms become unbearable).

(*) That includes basically everything: The diet itself, supplements, sleeping schedule, activity&sports, hopefully the stress level (very difficult for myself), even drinking.

Pam
    Participant

Bearsmom,
    Just FYI, I would be careful with the salad for lunch as the roughage at this point might be difficult for you to digest.

An alternative way to get veggies is just to blend them up in the blender and add some liquid to that I use unsweetened almond milk and you could add some low fermentable fruit, I use frozen blueberries.

Also, I think really important to get those supplements into the diet, esp vit B, minerals and D. So, add those to your special drink.

Norms book does not really go into the supplements specifically the L-glutamine and this supplement and zinc are in general advised to help the gut heal.

ftder
    Participant

Pam, Jaeme and Andrea thank you SO much for your insights! Your support is invaluable. I think I will lay off the salads for a few weeks, keep a journal, and eat mostly cooked veggies. THANKS!!!!

Pam and Andrea, are you both able to eat low-lactose dairy now?

My bloating continues to be lower and I ame very encouraged. Still burping and some gas but only in the first week of diet, so fingers crossed!!

ftder
    Participant

I struggle with the supplement idea, as my holistic doc does use vitamin D at times for IC. She worries that vitamin supplements will contribut to inflammation (the body overreacts to vitamins because immune system is on HIGH alert with IC) so she prefers to re-balance the body and have it get its vitamins through food, as it heals. BUT, I will seriously consider looking into vitamins. One of the supplements she uses (may have some FP because tiny amounts of oat and rice fiber, so I took it out) is Juice Plus. It is just freeze dried fruits, veggies and enzymes and her patients do very well with it. BUT I think with SIBO, it might not be the best supplement, unless carfully factored into the total daily allowable FP number.

Pam
    Participant

Bearsmom– well on the lactose…I still avoid milk except I do have heavy cream in my 1/2 cup of coffee. I did have some cheese on a pizza yesterday. Really try to avoid cheese.

ftder
    Participant

Thanks Pam!
    I could give up the cheese but LOVE the cream in my coffee. And butter! Oh dear, and full fat greek yogurt. But happy to forgo the cheese! I guess I am going to keep going per the first two weeks and not take out lactose-free dairy yet! I am doing better, bloating wise, by a mile. So fingers crossed!!!

ludavery
    Participant

Hi
    I’ve been reading this thread with a lot of hope. I have been suffering from IC with horrible debilitating pain for 3 years. I am in treatment with a Dr who I believe has gotten me to a better place but I feel lacks some of the dietary rules that will allow me to make the next step toward healing. Over the last 6 months I have been exhibiting symptoms of IBS (constipation) & feel like that discomfort is causing my IC pain to worsen.
    I guess my question is for those who have IC & are following the FTD…. Did it help with pain???? I really need some guidance as I seem to be losing hope that this can ever get better.

Pam
    Participant

IC can be caused by so many things but if you are indicating IBS plus IC you are definitely a candidate for having SIBO and SIBO could be causing or contributing to the problem. I would recommend that you contact a gastroenterologist in your area that will have you take the SIBO breath test, believe me it is not that big of a deal. At that point, depending on how sick you are, then you will need to take the recommended action. I think it is important to first of all understand SIBO and also while Robillard’s book discusses eliminating SIBO without antibiotics, he does not across the board dismiss using them if you have a fairly debilitating health concern.

Also, don’t be surprised if your regular doctor has not heard of SIBO. Even urologists have not heard of SIBO. In my personal opinion any person diagnosed with IC should also be tested for SIBO, before any recommended course of action.

Healing slowly but surely from “IC” and SIBO

Pam

ftder
    Participant

Hi Pam, Jaeme, Andrea

Well, my gas is reduced by 90%, and my bloating is gone! My BMs tho have slowed down quite a bit!! I am taking 400mg of magnesium so I will try increasing that to 800 for a while. I am eating some cashews, and will increase those to 30 which is about 2 ounces (i think that is the limit for nuts?). I am eating plenty of green veggies and fats. I think I just had such a tremendous amount of methane producing, constipation causing bacteria that it is going to take a while to turn around. I am trying to drink plenty of water and start my day with a big glass of warm water.

Is there anything else I am missing? I HATE constipation and worry it will undo my progress!!!

THANKS!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Sounds like you’re taking some good steps Bearsmom. As you process less fermentable carbs, there will be less microbial activity and smaller – perhaps less frequent – BMs. But if you’re uncomfortable, that’s different. How is your activity level? Exercise may also help but don’t forget extra hydration as needed.

ftder
    Participant

Thanks Norm! My stools are so different than they used to be so I think it takes some getting used to. I am having several, smaller BMs every day so maybe I am ok? It is so different than it used to be! The Bristol stool chart is helpful because I realize it is ok to have smaller stools and that is actually considered normal! I am also trying to eat a mix of cooked veggies and blended raw salads. The raw veggies have good enzymes in them for digestion I think? But the flip side is that early in the diet, maybe some of us can’t tollerat the raw as well. So I am trying blended. I am back in all of the clothes I used to wear as a fitness instructor before my SIBO and IC blew up! I am BEYOND THRILLED. THANK you!!!

Pam
    Participant

Bearsmom
    So impressed with your progress. I have had a few set backs mainly the constipation and it causes me to pee more. I have been avoiding the primary fermenting foods but I have not been getting enough veggies for sure.

Also, I am trying to get myself back to doing the pelvic floor exercises as my pelvic floor has been fried from all the horrible stuff I have been going thru with the IC. And, try to massage the gut when I am lying down to get that gut motility to get into gear. I started to take magnesium again about 200 mg will probably up that a bit and I need to drink more water. I have been a bad girl!

Interesting read on IC and SIBO was that researchers in Europe discovered that everytime their subjects needed to pee that the cleansing waves went into gear just before having to pee. The point here was that cleansing waves and having to pee showed a significant correlation. Oh, I love research and feel I am really on the right path to kicking this disease!

ftder
    Participant

Pam, i try to eat 1/2 of my plate as veggies for lunch and dinner. Today I tried a blended salad as you suggested (greens in a blender with 1/3 avocado and a little almond milk) I hear the enzymes can helpw with BMs. Also someone else with constipation recommended some cashews after each meal (maybe not exceeding 2 oz?) I think that is helping me. Things are moving, but I am not sure how well? I just know my bloating is gone and the gas is near gone!!! I also use a probiotic, but my doctor changes that up so it is not always the same. The other face of IC is that it can come because of defficiency. This is hard to explain, it is a chinese medicine term. But years of poor diet, stress, medications, etc… can dry the mucosal tissues. So my Chinese Medicine Doctor does a lot of building/nurishing things. Kind of hard to explain in western terms. Do you have cold hands or feet?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 189 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.