Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 190 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Pam, when you went off dairy, did that inlcude butter?

Tx!

ftder
    Participant

Happiness, I agree with much of what you are saying. Dr. Robillard has said repeatedly that gluten could be an issue for some people. He also has indicated that NO ONE is required to eat splenda! Those are there as an option for people that tollerate it and want sweets. My holistic doc has even allowed Stevia for those that tollerate it (since you have mentioned how different we all are I thought I would point that out!). I personally would never eat any of that!

I think our rabit and fence and garden metaphors get a bit tricky. It is possible for many that just lowering the microbial burden by removing the food source may prove to relieve symptoms and clear up confusion for some about food sensitivities. After reading basically this entire forum and all the reviews, it seems quite clear that for many people, what they thought were food sensitivities (take dairy, for example) just turned out to be that what they were eating (whole grains, resistant starch) combined with the traditionally suspect food-(low lactose dairy for example), was feeding their microbial overgrowth and it was not at all clear that there actually were any issues with say, specific kinds of dairy, or eggs or even wheat products! In the same way that one can in essence “de-bulk” candida overgrowth, to get our systems operating better, it is possible that one can lower microbial overgrowth in the small intestine through avoiding the things Dr. Robillard suggests to avoid or limit, thereby dramatically improving digestive function and optimizig digestion without the need to address food sensitivities or supposed immune reactions to foods. It would be an easy intervention to follow these guidelines (avoiding gluten and sweeteners, and maybe initially fruit and dairy) for 3 months before deciding to look into immune issues and food sensitivities.

Dr. Robillard:
    “In addition to the overall recommendations in the book, here are five recommendations that are missing in some of the other diets [Paleo, GAPS, SCD, Low Carb, FODMAP] to control SIBO and limit symptoms:

Limit high amylose rices – high FP. There are lower amylose rice available that are safe for gut issues.
    Limit high amylose tubers – high FP. There are other low FP tubers such as parsnips, and several potato varieties available.
    Limit sucrose and high fructose fruits – high FP. These can be substituted with many Low FP fruits such as strawberries, cantaloupe, and others. Consume other (high FP) fruits, such as apples and bananas as small wedges or single slices. Switch out high FP sucrose with Low FP sweeteners such as dextrose, erythritol (the one safe sugar alcohol) etc.
    Limit dairy with excess lactose – high FP. Acceptable alternatives include cream and a variety of fermented dairy products.
    Limit fiber and sugar alcohols (except erythritol) which are poorly digested yet fermentable potentially driving SIBO and symptoms.”

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Bearsmom – wow, this thread is moving at the speed of light! To answer your questions way back several entries, YES – based on my experience, acne is totally connected to SIBO. I had acne & rosacea (and of course was prescribed antibiotics). After a month or so on the FTD diet for my LPR, not only did the LPR subside but I noticed my skin was clearer, and after another month or two it completely cleared up. Friends and family even commented on how good I looked. If I eat breads/starches/grains/potatoes, the acne/rosacea will flare back up again (and so will the LPR). I investigated the gluten connection, but even gluten-free grains seemed to cause problems. At the beginning of the diet, I searched for all sorts of bread & grain alternatives. But after finding out how much better I feel without them, and research and information about inflammation caused by grains & sugars, I just decided to stick to a somewhat Paleo version of the FTD diet. Once I decided on a lifestyle change and concentrated on the good benefits, I really don’t miss the grains/starches/sugars. I don’t have any energy slumps anymore – I stay steady all day long. I am not completely strict (say, eat a piece of thin-crust pizza but not the outer edge if that is what the day’s schedule brings), but I try to keep those things to a minimum.

Yes, you can adjust the two-week diet to fit your needs as long as you stay within the general guidelines. I did not eat some of the things on the menu, if I did not like them or could not find them in the Mid-west. Or switch up the meals on different days if that’s what fit my schedule. For breakfast, I currently alternate between a smoothie made with full-fat Greek yogurt and blueberries or mango (invested in a “smoothie to go” machine to make mornings easier), or eggs with greens/shitakes/red peppers/cheese based on how busy my morning is. I am fortunate (but my wallet isn’t) to have a Fair-trade/local food coffee shop next to my office that offers a breakfast sandwich made of eggs, sausage, cheese, onion, spinach and tomato. It does come on an English muffin (good on the FP scale), but I take one of the slices off and eat it open-faced to keep the grain exposure low.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

You’re progress and finessing of the diet is so encouraging Jaeme. Thanks for sharing what you’ve learned.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I like your summary of five additional recommendations Bearsmom. Well put.

ftder
    Participant

Jaeme THANKS!!

Wow, wow, wow I am so thrilled to hear how well your skin did!!! This has been a mystery for me and a puzzle for my holistic doctor!!

When I think about it I am really only on day 2 because I was using that rice cereal for several days. So far my bloating has reduced!!! Still have a lot of burping and gurgling after I eat. I realized I have been WAY overdoing it on the magnesium (scared of not having a BM LOL) and so was taking 800-1000 mg per night which may explain some of the gas and gurgle. That is way too much mag. HOping tomorrow to be less gurgly and gassy, and hoping the burping calms down soon. I guess I will follow the two week plan, and then if necessary take out dairy (hope I don’t have to tho!)

THanks so much, I will keep you posted!!

ftder
    Participant

Question for Dr. Robillard,

You wrote a reply to this question as follows:

Q: I assume the [FTD] diet also fixes candida and other pathogens like klebsiella and various bad bacteria?
    A: The best balance of good over bad bacteria (and candida) is a nutrient-limited gut where most carbs are efficiently absorbed. That was the prevailing conditions as humans evolved.

THIS is a very intruiging comment for a gut-nerd like me 🙂
    This makes total sense. Are you implying that this diet is also a way to control for candida? I mean, I get that the ph would improve on this diet, making it harder for candida to thrive, and perhaps there would be less food for the candida? But would you say that one could follow the FTD, have good results in terms of controlling for microbial overgrowth in the SI and still need to resolve candida as a seperate issue?

In this article the author states that often now, SIBO, is mistaken for candida, and the patient is inappropriately treated for candida, when the problem all along was SIBO. I am pretty sure I have/had both, but at a certain point, the symptoms overlap and so I think it makes it harder for a holistic doctor to know which to treat for. I suppose some just treat for both.

http://modernherbalmedicine.com/articles/small-intestinal-bacterial-overgrowth-(sibo).html?page=2

Thanks for your thoughts!

ftder
    Participant

Here is a Holistic Definition of IC (SMALL INTESTINE mentioned!!)

http://www.icama.org/blog-entry/ic-disease-bladder

ftder
    Participant

Jaeme, it has been 3 days and I have already had a reduction in gas and bloating!!! I think I am eliminating less and I kind of expected that but a little worried about it. I had rice for the first time today. It is going OK. Do you think it is ok to just have it every other day? If I start going into ketosis I get a carb-flu type headache, but part of me wants to keep the rice out so I can get to a good baseline faster!! Was there some reason why you did not want to be in ketosis? Was it just too much weight loss? I can loose a good 5 pounds so that doesn’t worry me that much? Thanks for any thoughts…

Pam
    Participant

No, I still had butter, Paleo diet stresses a lot of fats.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Bearsmom – good to hear of your progress! I can say now that I rarely burp or pass gas, and if I do, its a surprise – almost forgot what that is like. If I do, it is almost always traced back to cheating a bit on my trigger foods. I realize now how much I used to do that before being on the FTD.

Eating the Jasmine rice (which has negative FP point of -3 or-4) should not interfere with the baseline (it should be almost completely digested in the stomach and not make it to the intestines). Sticky rice has an FP of +3/+4, so it might cause a little trouble (so I stay with Jasmine). But its not really a matter of rice, but of keeping carbs above a point of ketosis (which can be different for everyone, but is often generally referenced as 50 or more per day). Great chart & explanation here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/press/the-primal-blueprint-diagrams/#axzz3JFh4Azkh

Apparently my body is on high gear in ketosis – I lost about 30 pounds and 3 bra sizes in a month’s time despite chugging pure cream and olive oil, eating chunks of butter, etc. I was only at 10-20 carbs per day, only from the veggies & few fruits since I had been conditioned to not eat those “white carbs” (so no baguette or English muffin either). Everyone around me was very worried and asking if I was ill/had cancer, etc. as I did not need to lose any weight when I started. I had tons of energy (very efficiently burning those fats) and had trouble staying asleep (would fall asleep fast, but wake up 2 hours later and not able to fall back asleep despite sleep aids). I did not know about ketosis, but by researching I quickly found out what was going on. I was fortunate to find an angel in the form of a Nutritionist who is an RN and a MS in Nutrition (she became a Nutritionist after several years of receiving no answers from traditional medicine for her very ill young son – who is now thriving as a young adult in his 20’s after a food-based approach to health). She helped me figure out how to get out of ketosis safely and additional support for healing my digestive system along with the FTD (in just three months time I had gone from a heavy whole-grain/whole food diet to the awful Dropping Acid Diet to a ketosis diet and finally to the proper use of the FTD diet – whew, what a bad ride that was). After that is has been smooth sailing to my current point of feeling in optimal health.

You also mentioned Candida – and I do think that can be a co-contributor. Prior to the FTD, for several years I had been making a lot of my own whole grain artisan bread (and therefore lots of yeast and fermentable carbs) and had simultaneously noticed an increase in general overall body itchiness (would even wake me at night). I chalked it up to dry air in winter, hormonal changes, etc. That has also gone away with the FTD. So a huge daily dose of whole grains, yeast, fermentable carbs, resistant starches, etc. topped with doses of antibiotics for rosacea & UTIs, (probably caused by the old diet – wicked cycle) – apparently the perfect storm for my ailments. And the FTD approach, the perfect solution for me. Best wishes and support!

Jaeme
    Participant

Bearsmom – what type of Magnesium are you taking? I use Magnesium citrate, as it is the version supposed to be best for constipation (NOW brand tablets, 200 mg daily now, started at 300-400 daily as intestines were adjusting to FTD). Magnesium gluconate is supposed to best for inducing sleep.

I did not use Splenda or aspartame,etc. I tried Stevia (“green packets” check brands, find one with only dextrose as additive), but it gave me headaches. So I just went to plain dextrose (which did add some no-FP point carbs that I needed). Another option is Monkfruit (“orange packets” – again check brands for only dextrose added). I have found that doing the FTD diet has helped me wean off of sweets – I used to put sugar in my coffee, but now I am fine with just cream, etc. Fruit for dessert is enough, and chocolate tastes so much sweeter now.

Norm – thanks for supportive words, and your genius of developing the FTD, sharing it with the world, and especially for creating this forum. The forum has been such a wealth of information and support, and we all greatly appreciate your time in checking in with us!

ftder
    Participant

THANKS SO MUCH Jaeme!!
    I REALLY can’t tell you how helpful your posts have been!

Pam THANKS for starting this thread and for your insights too!!

Jaeme, I am just beyond excited. This is the only approach that has helped my bloating in 2 years!!

Jaeme, maybe a dumb question, but did/do you count carbs to stay above 50 grams, including those from veggies? 1/2 cup of jasmine rice seems to only contain 20-30 grams of carbs so I guess the rest are coming from veggies and my 1/2 cup of blueberries? Did you find you had to count to stay out of ketosis?

Right now I take magnesium oxide. I have managed to cut back on it and still having good BMs so I am pleased. My doc said I could try glycinate too which is a bit gentler. I woudld like to be off magnesium. Are you still taking it or do you find you dont need it anymore?

I know I have lost so many nutrients over the years. By the time one has IC it is likely one is deficient in vitamin D, Many of the B vitamins and likely have mineral imbalances, and for me I think low zinc. I am hoping to start absorbing vitamins better from my food, as I am very wary of taking vitamin supplements, my holistic doctor is very cautious about those for people with IC.

I am very intrugued at how this approach may help control candida as well. It sounds like you had an overgrowth but it was not severe and your body was able to manage it which is FANTASTIC. My doc says candida and other microbes piggy back in biofilms so I am still on a candida controlling supplement SF722 by Thorne Research. Which is meant to bust up biofilms and also weaken the walls of the fungal candida so the body can help revert it back to normal yeast that is supposed to live in our intestines. It sounds likeI have been on it for a long time, tho, presumably to help control bloating, which has mostly subsided so I want to revisit this candida supplement with my doctor because maybe I dont need it anymore!

Jaeme
    Participant

Bearsmom – I am excited for you too! I sure hope this approach works for you. Yes, I counted every carb, including veggies and things like kefir (which I still drink daily, mixed half with vanilla flavored unsweetened almond coconut milk). Since I could add in Jasmine rice, a half of English Muffin or a small slice of baguette, I was able to stay out of ketosis during the beginning months of FTD. Since I was able to determine that lactose, fructose, chocolate, etc. are not a problem for me, it is very easy to stay out of ketosis without even having to rely on grain foods like the baguette, etc. I don’t count carbs or FP points anymore, but have learned a good list of my safe and unsafe foods and eat meals based on that (Norm says he does the same – after a time it sort of becomes automatic). I am glad to say that I can eat out at restaurants again and not have to pack food everywhere I go.

I still take 200 mg magnesium, as that is below daily value and there is research showing the daily value might be a bit low for optimum function. Testing by my Nutritionist, including bloodwork, showed that I was very low in Vitamin D and Zinc and a few others (part of impaired/inflamed digestive tract). I did take supplements, but from companies that source from whole foods rather than lab-created. My opinion is that the healing these promoted also helped hand-in-hand with using the FTD diet (FTD kept out the causes to encourage re-balance & healing, supplements promoted quicker healing).

ftder
    Participant

Jaeme, am I right to assume that if I started the diet, and kept in low lactose dairy and blueberries and raspberries and my bloating is way down, that I am tollerating those things? Which foods did you find you did not tollerate? I am having yogurt and blueberries for breakfast, 10-20 cashews as a snack either late morning or late afternoon, salad and egg or turkey with rice for lunch, and a steamed veg with butter and steak, hamburger, fish or chicken for dinner.

I have not eaten sugar (sucrose) for two years, which was totally life changing. I don’t really crave sweets anymore. I really do miss chocolate tho! Which chocolate did you tollerate?? How did you know when it was safe to try? How much? I dont know if I still have candida so I may wait on the chocolate.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 190 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.