Viewing 10 posts - 181 through 190 (of 190 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Evaleen, Pam, and anyone else!

I was going to ask Pam the same question. Pam, how long did it take your bladder to improve? I think I may have asked you this before? Mine has been a bit up and down, mostly it has been ok. My digestion is definitely getting better!

ftder
    Participant

Hi Pam!
    What carbs are you eating successfully? I have been off carbs for 2 months and tried a bit of pinapple with a sprinkle of dextrose. I think it is ok if I dont overdo. Looking at trying Jasmine rice again.

Jaeme, how did your nutritionist have you transition out of ketosis? What were the portions that you added in incriments? THANKS!

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Bearsmom – I had been at about 20 carbs a day (I didn’t intend to do that and didn’t really know it until I was losing so much weight and not able to sleep – I just wasn’t eating any of the rice or bread, etc. – only few carbs from veggies and bits of fruit). I had completely used up all my glycogen reserves in my liver and had completely switched over to burning fats for about 2-3 months. When I finally figured this out, I tried to add carbs back in but had horrible reactions (liver and pancreas were not in glucose mode). So that’s what led me to the nutritionist who has helped me so much. The goal was to add about 10 carbs a day per week to get to 50-60 carbs a day in a month. It was a challenge for me because many of the carbs allowed on the Fast Tract are the quick absorbing carbs. So having fats and proteins with the carbs helped. The 50-60 mark was the hardest “switch over”, but after that I have done well. I am usually around 80 carbs a day. If I get to over 100 or so, I start to feel bad and many of my symptoms come back. I think Norm says he is often around 60 or so. My nutritionist (RN, MS) says she is at about 60 or so too (due to life-long symptoms she addressed with diet) but everyone is different – we see that right here on this forum. The FT is not necessarily low carb, but it seems many of us are finding help with lower carb than the average American high-sugar/carb diet. of 150-300 carbs a day. So, it is a sometimes an arduous process but the goal is to get to what is right for you.

Since I figured out my issue is starchy carbs, I get my carbs from fruits, veggies, dairy and chocolate. I did not choose to quit eating grains and beans, my body tells me so and I choose to listen to it. For someone else the issue could be dairy or fruit. I can only say that once you figure it out (and my wish for everyone here it that you will), and you accept it and focus on what does work, life can be very good (and without meds, etc.). Thank you Norm! And support and best wished to everyone.

Jaeme
    Participant

Bearsmom- FT carbs I used at first to get out of ketotsis were jasmine rice, english muffin, and baguette (small amounts, such as 1/4-1/2 c. cooked rice, one half english muffin, or 1 inch slice of baguette). I can still eat about that much of those without LPR symptoms. I am also still using the amylase enzyme if I eat those on occasion.

Jaeme
    Participant

My apologies – Norm said about 60 FP points, not carbs.

ftder
    Participant

Jaeme

thanks for helping with this. Ketosis is proving to be very hard on my bladder. Per Paul Jimenet, author and researcher, it forces the body to excrete oxilates and excess uric acid which I think both irritate my bladder. Also, it is messing with my thyroid I think and giving me heart palpitations and less tolerance to heat. (not good signs). Finally, per Paul Jimenet, what I thought was a minor candida overgrowth is likely feeding on the ketones from my ketosis. My doctor does not really like jasmine rice, but I may add it.

What rice crackers do you tolerate? I think you mentioned the Nutthins, but thinking I should skip anything wiht nuts for now.

So you orignially said you are eating 80 carbs a day. Is that 80g of carbs (this translates to a lot of calories)? I think we need around 40-50 g of carbs (close to 400 calories) to get out of ketosis, or about 20% of our calories from carbs per day? I am not sure about total FP, because there are some low FP, high carb foods like parsnips and jasmine rice.

Anyway, I was wondering about the rice crackers. Or rice cakes? Thanks!

Jaeme
    Participant

Rice crackers were okay (I don’t eat them much anymore, as I am getting most of my carbs from veggies, fruits, dairy, chocolate). Just basic rice crackers, check ingredients for least amount of additives. I do like Trader Joe’s Sea Salt & Peeper Rice Crisps, but that may be too spicy at first. Popcorn chips were okay, or homemade popcorn (not microwave), but go very easy and chew thoroughly.

Look for low FP, high carb foods like butternut squash, parsnips, rutabaga, etc., and make sure to have a fat & protein with it to slow down the blood sugar spike. So have some cream cheese or olive oil & bit of meat with the rice crackers if you aren’t doing

80g carbs a day average works for me (so 60-100g. range, but the steadier of close to 80 I feel best), and is not a lot of calories compared to the US average of 150-300g or more per day.

I have resolved my much of my thyroid issues with diet as well, but that is a whole new thread. 🙂

fasttracklady
    Participant

Hi Bearsmom etc.
    This is not about IC but about constipation. Wasn’t sure where to post it. I have followed your advice and gotten a couple of Natren products. I do have a medical intuitive I consult with. He looked over the Natren products and recommended the megadophilus and Healthy Trinity. Wow, they sure are expensive! I thought VSL was expensive but am stopping that and switching to these two. Do you think I should do one at a time. I do find them difficult to take since you are supposed to take before meals and two hours away from other herbs. I take other herbs before I eat, so a little confused when to take. Guess will take in between meals, two hours away from other herbs.

I am doing great with my LPR and main symptom, which was shortness of breath, seems to be mostly gone since going on Dr. Robillard’s FP diet. Amazing! But it is a whole new thing for me to give up grains and so have been dealing with constipation. I never had that before. I am hoping by drinking lots of water, eating a lot of green veggies–and veggies in general, and taking the probiotics, that that will help.

At night I take a liquid magnesium from Carlson and two ayurvedic triphala herb. This past week I have had to add Swiss Kriss, which is a senna herbs, however, I have read that people do well with that, even can take over long periods of time.
    Also have added the Natren. I do hope the megadophilus will not work in reverse!!

I have also switched from a Green Drink that has many things in it, Vitaminerals, to Spirulina Manna, also by Health Force.

Other than the constipation, the diet has really healed my symptoms and have been reading a lot about low-carb diets in general, which is very educational. I always thought I was doing so well eating all those healthy grains (quinoa, basmati rice, etc) and now find out not very good at all.

This forum has helped so much and do appreciate any input as to this constipation issue. Also about the probiotic question.

veveritza
    Participant

Pam, I too suffer from IC and IBS-D. I was suspected of SIBO a few years ago, but the breath test came negative. I was wondering if you found non-IC friendly foods tolerable on the SIBO diet. I’d like to try a Paleo/SIBO diet, but every time I venture outside the IC safe foods, I get instant flares. To some extent, I do respond to the alkaline diet although I too can tell it’s not really healing.

ftder, Matia Brizman’s protocol sounds very appealing too, although it is impossible for me to travel from Europe to LA in my current condition. I’ve heard a lot of great things from her patients, but also stories of dramatic failure. I wonder if it is because we do have different underlying issues as triggers. How is Matia’s diet different from paleo/sibo? I think she allows some (non-glutenous) grains to give the body energy.

bgracia7894
    Participant

pam another thought is that between all the exposure risks I listed for IC and chronic pelvic pain, your daughter also recieved some of your flora, via the placenta and also vaginally if you had a vaginal birth. It is not suprising that she has pelvic pain but she too would benefit from a holistic approach. I wonder if that could be explored before surgery???

Viewing 10 posts - 181 through 190 (of 190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.