Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Considering it’s the middle of the holidays, sounds like you’re doing pretty well Pam. Great that you made the cheesecake with dextrose. I want to give that a try. Did you add extra dextrose?

Pam
    Participant

Hi Norm,
    I just put in one cup dextrose. I make cheesecake for my family for special occasions so as I am a cheesecake lover and boo hoo cannot have it how I used to make it but the recipe turned out very nice actually, not as rich tasting as others but still good. My whole family liked it! Thanks!
    I am doing still so much better than ever. There was a time that I would not consider making anything because I was in so much incredible pain but things have really turned around. Still not 100% but will begin that protocol again to starve things off for a while probably a good fast that I could use after all the holiday stuff.
    Pam

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Sounds great Pam. Have a wonderful and healthy New Year.

ftder
    Participant

HI PAM! I just picked up some dextrose too. Will sprinkle on my kids berries and try in a few desserts. My fantasy is to buy an icecream maker and make a macadamia nut icecream with pure cream and eggs, maybe splash of other safe liquid, and dextrose or splenda. Will keep you posted.

Hmmmm as for my bladder, generally my worst symptoms off and on over the last 2 years, have been increased freuqency and background “urge” feeling, even when bladder is empty but this is mild and limited to the afternoon. HOWEVER, when I first started a KETO version of this diet, I think I had some bacterial die off, as I my bladder symptoms increased significantly. My doctor gave me some herbs to help my body manage this transition and my bladder has calmed down. Knock wood, it has been a bit rocky. Also, when I went keto, my althletes foot cleared up almost overnight, which is interesting. I also switched greek yogurnt brands and found a lower protien, higher fat brand which agrees with me more. I have ZERO gas now! Just burping and a bit of tummy gurgle in the afternoon. HOping to switch to a more absorbable form of magnesium as I am sick of the mag oxide.

I am deathly afraid to cheat with sweeteners because my doc has such a strong candida bent and she has me terrified of any sweetener. I am going to try a bit of splenda or dextrose and maybe one day a dab of maple syrup. I had one sugar-free vodka cocktail on Christmas and it was nice to feel a bit like a grown up. I felt fine the next day. I have really, really struggled to be alcohol free for 2 darn years when in fact the most progress I have made has been with this diet, so I plan to include a small cocktail here and there. I have been looking into two companies that make infusion-style (sweetener-free) essence vodkas. One is called Van Gough Vodka, and the other is a small company in NY, I forgot the name. There are also some low-carb cocktail recipes on Dr. Eades website. Just for me occasionally.Such a struggle to be on a an extreme diet for so long. I know you get this!

Pam, how is your bladder lately?? Please update me!

Happy New Year to all!

Pam
    Participant

Hi Bearsmom,
    Oh, good find on the vodka will keep that in my might try it catalog!

For my bladder, first I must say that I am sooo happy that I found the SIBO/IC connection. Instead of the old fashion way of handling the IC ie pain meds, hot and cold packs, I concentrate on moving my bowels. Once I have dealt with that, my frequency is not a problem. YIPEE. So, yes I am doing much better as long as I keep things moving.
    However, things are still not perfect and must admit that adjusting to the diet may be a little tricky at times. Also, still have not motivated myself enough for going back to full time work. I think 10 years of dealing with this IC problem has created a bit of depression and confusion… these are psychological problems I need to deal with to gain my stamina and optimism back. I am still a bit apprehensive about things. Like just knowing that I can sit in rush hour traffic without fear of eliminating. I can sit thru a meeting, I can go to that conference, etc…
    I was able to ski for example multiple runs without having to stop for the head. NICE!
    Thankfully, I have a sympathetic family. Also, I am in general just happier and have more motivation and willpower to do stuff.

ps…you mentioned you had issues with motility, I do too, but one thing that should be checked is your thyroid hormones…have you done that?
    Pam

ftder
    Participant

HI Pam!
    My goodness I could have written that WHOLE post myself, LOL. I get what you mean about being out of the workforce and wondering what/how to go back, given that are health is improving but still a little tenuous. I agonize over this myself. And having more freedom to be out and about with IC, is GREAT. So glad you have had these improvements. I also found for me there is an OCD/mild depression/motivation/willpower issue with my gut imbalance. My Chinese Medicine doctor ALWAYS asks me about my mental health in our phone consultations. She finds that when the gut is healed the brain is more functional. Not suprising, right? 🙂

My thyroid tested negative for issues 2 years ago and at that time the Natruropath did not see the need for further testing. But since then I have read that people have “hidden” thyroid issues and I need to explore this type of testing with a doctor with Functional Medicine Training in January. Thanks for mentioning this as I really need to pursue it. I don’t have any obvious Hashimotos or auto-immune (other than IC, but not really sure that is auto-immune always??) If I do have thyroid it seems some have had luck with Low Dose Naltrexone, but of course my doctor objects. I need to keep going with diet and see how far I can get! I am thrilled since she added some chinese herbal antibiotics and I changed my yogurt and now I have really ZERO gas and my ocular rosacea seems to be responding a little better. Still have burping tho and feeling very frustrated about this. Talk soon and

Happy New Year!!

Pam
    Participant

Hi Bearsmom,
    So odd with the thyroid because my IC symptoms and Hashimotos diagnosis occurred within two weeks of each other. I was on the hyper end of Hashimotos, racing heart etc…but then the Hashimotos just went away. I still get my thyroid tested and it is within normal range so whats with that??? Not complaining, I just know it is one of those things to be aware of.

I had been seeing a functional medicine doctor after I got tested for SIBO so that was very helpful. I think I have the basic game plan down ie. herbals and supplements so have not gone back. Will be interested in what you find out in January.
    Also, on the yogurt, what special yogurt are you consuming…I had forgotten.

Happy New Year to you too!

ftder
    Participant

Interesting Pam,
    Have read of a lot of vague or even specific auto immune symptoms clearing up when SIBO is reduced. I hope Dr. Robillard will address this in his next book on auto-immunity. So glad yours cleared up. Some people still have auto-immune markers after SIBO is better, but no auto-immune symptoms? Isn’t the body curious???

I really, really need a functional med doc on my team. They are pricey though and I pay out of pocket for everything for the last two years. It has been tough!!

The yogurt is Trader Joes Full Fat GREEK PLAIN. It is really tasty. Also Greek Gods full fat greek is tasty and higher in fat, lower in protein than FAGE. It does have a little more listed milk sugar than TJs brand so I will stick with TJs. I really do feel a little better digestion wise when I am more careful with my protein and up my fats! I love raw mild cheddar too. Or any raw, mild, hard cheese.

Pam
    Participant

Bearsmom,
    Boy I hear you on the functional doctor they are really expensive. You might ask the facility that they work at if they could recommend a nutrionist. Many times a nutritionist is way cheaper than the functional med doctor but if they also work under the functional med doctor, they are fairly much giving the same advice as they are all under one roof. I did this instead.

Also, does the yogurt have lactose? I am trying to stay away from that.

Pam

ftder
    Participant

Pam yogurt has most all teh lactose digested by the microbes! Also cream and butter and hard cheese are very low in lactose. Many people can tollerate a tiny bit. It would be nice if you try it to get a little variety. I lOVE yogurt an macadamia nuts for breakfast with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top!

ftder
    Participant

Hi Pam, so the Van Gogh vodka company is a bust! I need to contact them as I think they are hiding some kind of BLAH sweetener in their formula! I just stuck with Kettle One, which I muddled with a few fresh strawberries and steeped in the strawberries and ice for a bit and then strained. Kettle one is an old distilling method that comes recommended by a top candida doctor (why I am still avoiding wine, since that may trigger candida issues-not sure). Also, my holistic doc does not want me to drink at all, but if I do she said Vodka. Anyway, it seemed to go ok.

ftder
    Participant

Pam did you use a hcl supplement and what is the difference between HCL and HCL with pepsin and how would you know which one to use? did you use it at every meal? “THEY” say the idea is to use it for short time until the body starts producing more acid, but how exactly is THAT supposed to happen. Would love to shed some light on this!

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Bearsmom – I use a Betaine HCL product by Standard Process called Zypan. It is a fairly mild formula. Recommended dose is two tablets per meal, but I only take one per meal. This is the dosage that my Nutritionist confirmed with muscle testing, and it works well for me. I also take two of the Acid Ease capsules by Enzymatic Therapy – these have marshmallow root & slippery elm which coat the stomach and may have added protection (these do not reduce acid, but are gentle on the stomach & only have amylase, lipase & cellulase enzymes. No protease, which bothered me a lot during the first 5-6 months until I really healed up my digestive systwm).

Pam
    Participant

Bearsmom,
    My nutrionist put me on B.P.P. by Thorne Research Instititute is has HCI, pepsin and pancreatin in it. Designed to promote the digestion of proteins, carbs and fats. So, I have not been taking for a while, it seemed that when I took it, it made my gut bubbly. You are supposed to take 1 – 2 per meal but initially I was taking 1 per meal.

I had also purchased the HCL separately before I met the nutrionist. I am wondering if the BPP is overkill because when I mentioned I was taking this to my gastro, she thought I did not need all the other aids because the pancreas and liver in my young body were probably doing ok and thought it was a waste of money. Anyhow, still might take the HCL separately, if anyone has advice I would welcome that. I mean how do I know my stomach acid it not working already, I don’t have GERD.

Evaleen
    Participant

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and just started Fast Tract diet (limiting further to accommodate my IC), and looking for all your help 🙂 I have many questions:

(1) For those of you who did diet with FP of 20-30, etc etc, how long did it take to see any improvement in your IC pain?

(2) Did or do any of you have perineal discomfort as well? Did this diet help?

(3) Are you any of you on a prokenetic to help your motility, etc.–like LDN?

I have a bazillion more questions, but thanks for your help 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 189 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.