Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 190 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Norm,
    Thanks so much for adding Interstitial Cystitis this is HUGE.
    Also, I have two questions
    1. According your book you indicate that fresh pineapple is a low FP but I did that calculation last nite and it came out high.
    2. Also, with the constipation, I am wondering if increasing the fat intake would help by actually consuming raw olive oil or something.
    Pam

ftder
    Participant

Pam, my doctor uses raw olive oil for constipation. It does really help. She starts with a teaspoon at bedtime, but also you can do a teaspoon after each meal. I am going back to that too. If olive oil bothers your bladder, use the light variety.

Pam
    Participant

Hi Bearsmom,
    I am wondering if just using a fish oil supplement would work too. I am going to go back on to those.
    Pam

ftder
    Participant

Yes, but Norm and Perfect Health Diet guy Paul Jimenet I think don’t like them much and not sure why (I forget). My doctor uses Carlsons COD LIVER oil with good results. Just watch your bladder. These things accumulate in the tissues and after a while might cause frequency or bladder pain (like, after 6 weeks). I have to go on and off cod, as it builds up.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Pam,
    “According your book you indicate that fresh pineapple is a low FP but I did that calculation last nite and it came out high.”
    NR: What serving size, total carb and fiber count did you use? Did you plug in 66 for the glycemic index?
    “Also, with the constipation, I am wondering if increasing the fat intake would help by actually consuming raw olive oil or something.”
    NR: Yes, consuming raw olive oil should help. Here’s a study where it helped (though the study involved hemodialysis patients which might make a difference) using 4 mL/day. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25238699

WebMD actually recommends up to two tablespoons (28 grams) per day for constipation. http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-233-olive.aspx?activeingredientid=233&activeingredientname=olive

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

The issue with fish oil supplements is stability. Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) in fish oil are rather unstable and subject to oxidation – becoming rancid.

Pam
    Participant

Norm,
    Thanks so much for your response. Yes I will try the olive oil will see how that works, thanks for the tip!
    Also on the FP for pineapple, no I did not enter the glycemic index because I did not have the number so I just used your default of 50. How do I find the glycemic index on this? Also I entered in shredded wheat, also a low FP on in your book but I entered it in and this also came back high.
    Pam

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Pam,
    Do you have a copy of the book? It lists the GI for pineapple (66) and shredded wheat (83).

Pam
    Participant

Gee Norm, I am such a dummy of course the GI is right there. I did the calculation on the shredded wheat but have the Post product not Nabisco. Anyways, the Post product comes up as moderate.

Is there anyway I can get the GI from somewhere or is this something you determined using the chemistry that you performed on the products?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

GI values are derived by extensive testing of each food in people. There are a number of sources for GI values. Check out the book “The New Glucose Revolution” by Dr. Jennie Brand-Miller et.al. They have a website as well. There is also Mendosa.com and “The Low GI Shopper’s Guide to GI Values”.

ftder
    Participant

Hi Pam and Jaeme
    Hope your holidays are going well. I am doing ok but feeling a bit down. My overal gas and bloating are greatly improved. I am still experienceing burping, gurgling after meals (no gas tho) and all of my ocular rosacea symptoms are still present, so my Sibo must still be active which is discouraging. I am going to cut out yogurt (my beloved greek yogurt) to see if it helps. I am not eating nuts, rice or fruit. Feeling pretty darn limited. I may stick with a small amount of raw cheese and see if I tollerate. The only other dairy is cream in my coffee, which I would shoot myself if I had to cut out. I just worry I have serious motility issues and I think Dr. Robillard is not a fan of motility agents, nor is my holistic doctor so I am REALLY AT A LOSS. I don’t know how I am going to beat this. After reading in the SIBO Facebook groups about the serious idiopathic motility issues, I just dont know how I will improve. Granted, many of those folks did not try diet long term. Maybe if I keep at this it will improve. And my holistic doctor is giving me a mild herbal antibiotic to give things a boost. She does not like to kill everything tho, and wants me to have balance. thanks for reading!!!

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Bearsmom & All – My present this year is greatly-improved health. I can’t believe how bad I was a year ago when conventional medicine prescribed PPIs/H2blockers and Dropping Acid diet, and how I feel now after 10 months on the FTD. So sorry to hear you are discouraged. How long have you been on the FTD Bearsmom? I had lots of ups & downs for first 3 months or so. The LPR diminished first, but the digestive tract kept re-adjusting for a while. The rosacea/occular rosacea began improving at about 3-4 months.

The holidays have proven to me that Norm & FTD are right for me, as holiday pary foods caused rosacea & LPR flareups. Now that I know about acid fumes, my first symptom is a slight burning in my nasal passages followed by stuffy sinuses & post-nasal drip. Then the beginning of LPR. So immediately back on FTD plan, and things subside again. Hang in there Bearsmom!

ftder
    Participant

Thanks Jaeme!

I fear I am a tougher case than you but will keep plugging along. My constipation and burping continue. Thankfull that gas and bloating are almost NIL which is fantastic!!

Pam, how are you doing?

ftder
    Participant

Hi Pam and Jaeem

Do either of you think that there is a safe supplement to help improve stomach acid, for those of us with a history of bladder symptoms? People swear by them but my Chinese Med. doc says they do damage. THANKS!

Pam
    Participant

Hi Bearsmom,
    Yes, I have used enzymes and no we don’t want to keep using them but initially they may really help you. You could just try an HCL supplement see how that works for you.
    Also, I was wondering how you are doing with the IC element of your healing? Do you have pain and frequency or have you noticed any difference?
    I have been doing fairly well but not a good as I should be. I am mindful of the diets in general but the holidays I may have overindulged. I need to get back on track with healing all the way. I have been drinking the 2 TBSP of olive oil each nite and I may bump that up even further. I have okay bowels but still have constipation. I may go back on the berberine. I also got some sample VSL probiotics and tried those and I seem to be okay; however if you have fructose intolerances, you will likely be unable to handle probiotics until you are better healed.
    I think my worst food to absorb are the sugars and they are in so many things. So really learning about how they are in most foods and watching for what sugars have the best absorption. Went to a micro brewery here and picked up a 3 pound bag of dextrose (glucose sugar) and made the cheesecake recipe in Norms book…it was really good and I did not have any problems. It is the other sugars that cause a problem, just fructose intolerance alone can cause so many bad reactions. I have read there is an enzyme you can take for fructose malabsorption but trying to get it is another story.

Pam

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.