Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 190 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Wow thanks Pam!!!

With my skin issues I really think B complex is so important. I just worry about bladder flare but I would like to try. I remember 10 years ago before I had my kids I tried to take B vitamins (must have had horrible SIBO) and it caused tremendous bowel distress! I would love to try it now that I am eating Fast Track Diet!!

When you have increased frequency, how do you know if one of these supplements is not contributing to it? The ones that stand out the most are the L-glutamine (which we can get from meat, pastured eggs, and raw dairy). This one is important but clinically it can cause bladder issues in our population so just something to note.

How do you know the B-complex is ok if you are having bladder sx? Is your bladder doing much better as far as frequency and urge?

ftder
    Participant

GREAT tip about the garlic needing to be obtained at the Farmer’s Market!! My doc would advise against self treating with berberine and allicin because, per Norm’s comments too, this stuff is strong and preferable to try to get back to balance through strict adherance to the diet. but consuming garlic in the diet seems reasonable and yummy!

The other thing I am doing within Norm’s guidelines is I am skipping breakfast and holding out until 10am (I wake up before 6am) two days a week to rest my gut (per your advice) and give the cleansing waves an extra bit of help.

I also am magnesium and ZINC defficient but early on I tried zinc and had trouble with it. Now I want to try again soon.

Pam
    Participant

Bearmom,
    Lignins discussion on page 97. Out of all the fiber types lignin is the only one that did not cause fermentation so I would like to zero in on this one. The flax I was taking for quite sometime was ground up flax seed. This is the best way to get flax in my opinion and the opinion of other sources. Would like Norms opinion on flax : )

Also, yes I do not want interstitial cystitis under autoimmune. It is too hidden, so as a primary diagnosis as it is now accepted as such under medical jargon.

Thanks
    Pam

ftder
    Participant

Pam, LOVE exchanging ideas with you. Happy healing to us both. Keep me updated.

Oh, one more thing is I have read reports (Through Chris Kresser and some other places) that quality sources of absorbable magnesium may be beneficial, because once the body has adequate stores, (say over many months of supplementation) this can improve bowel function. So this would be sources such as glycinate and mag chloride I beleive.

ftder
    Participant

Pam I saw Norm do a calculation for flax seed somewhere and I think it has a moderate FP. I don’t know. Will wait to here what he says. It is still a mechanical way to move the stools, not replacing normal flora, but maybe better than magnesium.

Do call Natren about their line. I also added in Digesta-lac. This is a much more natural way to help the body produce lactase (I think the microbes themself produce it) and also, Digesta-lac helps the bifidobacerum to increase? My digestion (minor chest pressure and tiny heartburn) is really being helped by Digesta-lac. I prefer this over taking a lactase enzyme, because the enzyme might be causing other unwanted effects in my body, whereas the Digesta-lac is restoring bacteria that we should have at greater levels.

Pam
    Participant

Bearsmom,
    IC & urinary frequency. Ok in a nutshell
    1. The first way I discovered the bowel/bladder connection is directly because of constipation. The more constipation, the more frequency and pain!
    2. The b vitamins I take do not seem to cause a problem and it is this particular brand tht I take.
    3. No problem I have noticed with the glutamine.

Pam

Pam
    Participant

Bearsmom,
    I eat breakfast within 30 mins of getting up. The cleansing wave has been occuring all nite while you are sleeping so I would not wait to eat breakfast when I get up. It is between the meals that you should wait I believe up to 4 hours before eating again to make sure the food has gotten thru the system. However, I am questioning the 4 hours if we are already on a highly digestible low fermentation diet.
    Pam

ftder
    Participant

Thanks!

Yes, I follow the 4 hours, because you recommended it and I think it makes good sense, although sometimes I have a snack on days I am very active.

I used the morning fast here in the first phase of the diet because I really feel like I need a jump start and I am not using herbal abx, etc…. Dr. Robillard suggests a morning fast once a week for anyone, and suggested a morning fast 2 x per week for people that were trouble shooting at the beginning of the diet if they were not getting the results they wanted. I feel like it really helped me, in addtion to adopting a ketogenic diet and omitting nuts. Going to add back nuts first, then I think berries, and then jasmine rice. Going to wait at least another full month as I am having good results and want to keep going a bit.

ftder
    Participant

Also, Pam, my holistic doc has approve raw dairy for me now. I wont do raw milk, but will try raw cream and raw cheese. She says that many people that don’t tollerate dairy do really well with raw. I am excited to try it. I get it delivered to my door because I live in California and we have a distributor Good Eggs, that brings Organic Pastures raw dairy. I think you can get it at the farmer’s market too. May be a key piece of healing for some, and help contribute to gut flora diversity. Also she says it is more tollerated by people with IC then cultured vegetables. She thinks home made cultured veggies are really not good for IC as the microbes are just too strong and go through leaky gut into lymph, causing pain, at least in initial treatment. She says when starting raw dairy to try raw butter first, then maybe cream and cheese is last because of higher microbe count.

Pam
    Participant

Bearsmom,
    Thanks for the gutsense link good info there. That probiotic he has mentioned contains FOS so now I am really confused because everything else says stay away from FOS.
    Pam

ftder
    Participant

All FOS info I have found suggests it is NOT GOOD for SIBO. My doctor never uses supplements with FOS. I was using one before I got sick with IC, and wonder if it was a contributor to my situation. Natren has an excellent clinical track record with IC. I personally would start there. 🙂

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

“Pam I saw Norm do a calculation for flax seed somewhere and I think it has a moderate FP.”

Since flax seed is mostly fiber, the FP is essentially the total carb count.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Pam, Concerning your questions:
    1. I am unable to figure out how to ask Norm a direct question, could you help me out with how you are doing that?
    Ans: I do read the comments on the forum and the comments on the blog articles. But I am not able to answer all questions. When I do respond, I first address general questions about the Fast Tract Diet, SIBO, dysbiosis and related questions. I am not able to answer questions concerning individual conditions or symptoms. I can only do that within our consultation program.
    2. I was wondering if we could get Norm to Bullet Point Interstitial Cystitis on his forum topics so it is easier to find the topic?
    Ans: I did start a specific IC forum. You can create more individual topics within this forum. I hope this helps.
    3. Also, I am going back and forth with the constipation issues too, even with drinking lots of water. According to Norms book, Lignins is a safe fiber that indicates no fermentation. I would sure like to try a supplement form of this and not sure what would be okay.
    Ans: I have not heard of lignin being used for constipation and can’t think of a reason it would be helpful.

AndreaS
    Participant

Norm, you mentioned lignin several times in “FTD IBS”. For instance, quoting from the 2013 book edition page 93 f.: “Insoluble fiber includes cellulose (beta-glucan), lignin and some hemicelluloses. Insoluble fiber is believed to increase bulk, soften stools and decrease gut transit time, potentially helping with constipation.” On page 97: “Lignin was not fermented at all.”

ftder
    Participant

Regarding constipation and insoluble fiber options, even if we do find one that is acceptable and does not cause fermentation, is the idea here, that we are to “fake it, until we make it”? Are we replacing our depleted, water-carrying gut microbes with fiber to move the stools, until, hopefully we have more microbes in the right count and diversity to do the job of helping to move stools that they are supposed to? Or, should we assume we will never regain this level of diversity and will always need to supplement?

According to the website gutsense.org, lifelong fiber consumption, improper bowel habits, and antibiotic exposure change the physiology of the GI, and the microbial content of the stool such that constipation will be a life long struggle, even if one lowers fiber in their diet and increases fat. The author wants you to buy his supplement to move stools (I cant take this it would cause a lot of inflammation and pain) and the author suggests ongoing supplementation with magnesium is not sustainable. What is someone with IBS-C supposed to do long term?

I would LOVE to hear from anyone with IBS-C (Methane) that has had success with the FTD in weaning off supplements for constipation, or who is successfully using the tools that Norm has suggested: hydration, fats, cellulose from vegetables ALONE. These of course do help! But, thusfar, this has not been enough for me. I am only 1 month into the diet and expect I have a ways to go. But I would really love to get off supps.

Another question I have, is for people with chronic health conditions as a result of SIBO, is it possible that SIBO sufferers with IBS-C are magnesium defficient, and that supplementation with an absorbable form of magnesium may result in positive changes in stool transit time once appropriate magnesium levels have been acheived? I have read anecdotal reports that suggest this. If this idea has some merrit, then supplementing with high quality magnesium may also provide some relief. I also wonder if mag stores are depleted due to SIBO-related loss of vitamin and mineral stores.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.