Skip to main content

I want to read the book, but have a couple of concerns.. Please help?

//I want to read the book, but have a couple of concerns.. Please help?
I want to read the book, but have a couple of concerns.. Please help?2014-03-11T22:05:54+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A I want to read the book, but have a couple of concerns.. Please help?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have just discovered the Fast Tract Heartburn book and I am trying to do research before I decide what to do. I really do want to buy it, but my concerns are; 1, that I am a vegetarian and 2, I do know Splenda and all artificial sweeteners are not for me.
    I am desperate to fix my digestion and each time going off the drug gets worse and worse. I am in a trap and am tempted to hop right back on the Pantoprazole right now. I am pretty sure each time I have taken a PPI, it’s caused more and more food intolerances. I went off a year ago and I have been having stomach rashes and seemingly itchy (internal) sensations between breasts (esophagus?) after I eat. This has been going on for a year and not even a GI doctor has any clue why. I suspect poor digestion.
    Anyway, is this book right for me with those issues and being a vegetarian that won’t touch an artificial sweetener?

Thanks

JI
    Participant

dolphin005– You do not have to go the artificial sweetener route with the Fast Tract diet. You can use dextrose, also called glucose, which is a sugar made from corn. I ordered it on Amazon.com, but some natural food stores or brewery supply stores may carry the product. It has a low FP value. The diet allows you to eat eggs, cheese, and tofu as sources of protein. You can also eat a small amount of nuts. You will want to wean yourself off the drugs slowly to avoid acid rebound.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi dolphin005 – I highly recommend this book, it has helped me tremendously. I too was not keen on the artificial sweeteners, so I went with a pure stevia (natural plant extract) & dextrose product called “Stevia in the Raw” (no other ingredients). Also recently found another company’s version called Pure Via with just the stevia & dextrose. I will be switching over to the dextrose, as I need to keep calories up. I have a brewer’s supply store within a half-hour of me that should carry it.

Also, I don’t add any sweetener to the breakfast smoothies, etc. Instead I just add a little almond or vanilla extract if the fruit alone is not sweet enough. Or, I skipped the dessert all together to allow for a glass of the lactose-free milk or snack/FP points elsewhere.

I have found the diet to be flexible and adaptable as long as you stay within the FP point ranges (swap out one ingredient for another, leave something out, use leftovers from one day on another day, etc.) And eat leafy greens with every meal to keep things moving 🙂

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Dolfin,
    It would be a good idea for you to understand Fermentation Potential (FP). You will then see where the challenges are for you as a vegetarian. For instance, most legumes fairly high FP. Chickpeas are not too bad in limited quantities. There may be ways to lower the FP by soaking/fermenting and/or using digestive enzymes that make digesting complex carbs easier. I am hoping to get more input from vegetarians with regard to these issues, so nice to see you on the forum.

dolphin005
    Participant

Thank you for all of the replies. I still haven’t purchased the book as I am not working right now, so money is an issue, but as soon as I can get it, I will. I just wanted some feedback with the vegetarian concerns. I do eat beans often. I also just discovered that part of my problem is an intolerance to fruit. AKA Fructose Malabsorption. It’s taken me a year to figure it out, but by trial and error, I finally did.

Kelly
    Participant

Dolphin, you sound a lot like me. I thought part of my problem was fructose malabsorption, but on top of that I can’t tolerate any fruits or any other forms of sugar. As I was figuring this out, I was using fruit as a sweetener, and reducing my expectation of sweetness. Once you get used to it, you don’t need any sweetener at all. Sweet potatoes taste like candy to me now. I have made pumpkin custard/pie filling with no sweetener, only spices, and pumpkin by itself tastes terrible to me.

So you could just leave out the sweetener in all the recipes, or using a low-FP fruit if needed. You might also be interested in my recipe blog at http://eliminatinglimitations.wordpress.com/ Most of my recipes aren’t low-FP, because I just found this diet, but the pumpkin pie recipe is there.

dolphin005
    Participant

The fruit intolerance thing is just weird to me. There has to be an underlying cause and a way to fix it. Just not sure how. I don’t want to go the rest of my life without any fruit. I am wondering how much a chiropractor can help overall. I have done a lot of reading and it seems they can help overall with digestive issues. Not to say you can go eat whatever you want after they help, but I am willing to give it a go.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.