Skip to main content

I have Candida, what should I do?

//I have Candida, what should I do?
I have Candida, what should I do?2014-05-12T18:48:49+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A I have Candida, what should I do?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, I’ve been following the FT diet for a while and it has helped but not to the extent where I didn’t have symptoms. I would still get symptoms daily.

After doing a bit of research I found something called “Candida”. So I looked into it more and I was amazed at how many similar symptoms I had. I suggest you look it up!

So I decided to get tested and well, it turns out I’m positive for Candida Overgrowth.
    I have a SIBO test booked as I want to know if I have SIBO as well, apparently you can have SIBO and Candida at once.

So my question is, should I stay on the low FP diet? or abandon it to try the Candida diet.

What if I’m positive for both? Don’t the diets have contradictions? I’d really appreciate Norms input on this.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Jason, Candida ferments carbs so the low FP diet is a good choice for excessive Candida. I am not familiar with the details of the Candida diet so don’t have much to add there.

jasonking92
    Participant

So does Candida ferment the same way SIBO does? Because the Candida diet eliminates all rice, sugars (including glucose), cheese, fruit and a lot more.

Here’s a list of foods to avoid on Candida: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/foodstoavoid.htm

Should I stay on the Fast Track diet in your opinion?

jasonking92
    Participant

Also, according to this article from Lisa Richards. Candida thrives foods high on the Glycemic Index.

This is completely backwards compared to the Fast Track diet. You explain your theory much better in your book and I truly admire your research. But according to this. I’ll never be able to get better because the diets conflict each other.

JI
    Participant

Good luck in finding your way back to health. I would probably try to stick with the Candida diet guidelines for a little while. You can do so while keeping overall FP low. With the exception of nuts, xylitol, and non-glutenous grains, much of the Candida diet seems to be FT friendly. Of course, permitted nuts are fine in limited quantities, and grains in more limited quantities. After the Candida dies off, you can try introducing some of the low FP foods that are currently prohibited. Yes, it is restrictive, but in the overall scheme of things, may make you better much sooner.

Pompadur
    Participant

I think that Dr.Robillard suggests better way to control candida with FP diet.
    In my opinion the popular “anticandida diet” is not based on as accurate evoluation of micro-creatures as FP diet is.
    So i would suggest to stick with FP and if it is not enough then limit all carbs to 20-25g per day.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I understand the conflict. There is lots of information out there suggesting that simple or refined carbs preferentially feed candida, and bacteria for that matter. This is certainly possible. But here’s the thing. Your body is also better at digesting and absorbing certain carbs, though not always simple carbs (look at fructose for example). Those carbs will be less of a threat if they leave the digestive tract and enter your blood stream. The FTD is all about maximizing that process. But notice (as explained more fully in another post), early on in the diet, I recommend limiting even the easy-to-digest carbs to give your body a chance to get any advanced SIBO under control.

jasonking92
    Participant

Cheers Norm, I’m getting tested for SIBO this weekend and I’m looking forward to the results. Is there a possibility that SIBO and Candida are linked? For example, if you have Candida, would that eventually lead to SIBO and visa versa?

If I do have SIBO as well as my Candida, I will stick to the FT diet but try and keep below 10FP a day and avoid sugars for the first 4 weeks. Whilst taking 30 Billion Probiotics and Anti Candida Tablets.

Do you think this would be a correct approach?

I really appreciate your help Norm, you’ve been a god send.

elle
    Participant

Hi, I was diagnosed with a fungal/yeast overgrowth recently although not candida. My bacteria appear to be well balanced however my prevotella bacteria was super high and therefore I am suspicious that I have a prevotella overgrowth and fungal overgrowth potentially in my lower colon. My Sibo breath test came back negative. Yet the onset of symptoms was GERD and LPR attack if you will. The fast tract diet has helped a lot but there are some things that an antifungal diet will not allow such as jasmine rice, peanuts, cashews and other high mold nuts. In addition to anything fermented except for whole plain yogurt and “fresh cheese.” I haven’t been able to move beyond zero carbs really. I can eat some jasmine rice but then I worry that it is feeding the fungal growth. I guess if it gets absorbed immediately then it may not be a problem. But it tends to spike my blood sugar so I am staying away from it for now anyway.I am sticking to an extremely low fermentable carbs FT diet and excluding anything fermented or likely to have mold or high bacteria such as aged meats, aged cheeses, soy sauce, vinegar. Its extremely restrictive but as long as I don’t have LPR symptoms I am ok. I am also taking other measures to move on from this but they aren’t relevant to this discussion. Basically I eat chicken, yogurt, gelatin, fish and coconut oil and coconut milk and add a few spices- that’s it. I am not at the stage where I can eat any vegetables and that is why I think I may have a prevotella overgrowth in addition to a fungal/yeast overgrowth. I am hoping that lactose free cream cheese might work because it has low carbs, I think its a fresher cheese and any lactose that might be in it will either be removed or digested. Not sure what Norm thinks about this?
    Thanks!

jasonking92
    Participant

Im dairy intolerant and Gluten intolerant, if my results come back saying I have SIBO as well, my diet is going to be stupidly restricted.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Elle,
    Your conservative approach sounds rational to me and appears to be effective in terms of controlling your symptoms. It also makes sense to work with your doctor to investigate factors that may have allowed this overgrowth to occur in the first place such as antibiotic treatment, immune impairment, etc. If you can determine and correct potential underlying causes, you should be able to normalize your diet somewhat, keeping FP reduced but not having to worry about small amounts of fungi in foods you eat. Please keep us posted.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Jason,
    “if you have Candida, would that eventually lead to SIBO and visa versa?
    If I do have SIBO as well as my Candida, I will stick to the FT diet but try and keep below 10FP a day and avoid sugars for the first 4 weeks. Whilst taking 30 Billion Probiotics and Anti Candida Tablets. Do you think this would be a correct approach?”

NR: I can’t give you a definitive answer to the SIBO VS Candida question. I would depend on what underlying conditions were present that allowed each type of overgrowth to occur – a case-by-case assessment would be best. But you seem to be using a rational approach.

elle
    Participant

It seems possible that someone could have a fungal/yeast overgrowth in their small intestine right Norm? It seems likely that its growth could create byproducts just as bacteria does… perhaps a fungal/yeast overgrowth could mimic something akin to SIBO…

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Seems very possible Elle, but I am not aware of a definitive study demonstrating fungal overgrowth in the small intestine. But fungi can make gas which could be a problem in the small intestine or large intestine.

elle
    Participant

I appreciate your model as it helps me tremendously maintain my symptoms. Unfortunately there is so much contradictory information on fungal/yeast overgrowth in the gut post-antibiotic use on the web. Although I was diagnosed with a different strain of fungus than candida it seems that everyone has some type of cure for it but I find it all contradictory so its hard to tease out. I sometimes wonder if there are some types of bacteria and or yeast that once they are killed by antibiotics never return?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.