Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Rosacea, SIBO and Diet Hydrogen breath test negative

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Well, I just had a Hydrogen breath test today, and the results were negative for SIBO! My highest reading was 4 ppm after about 2 hours, and then the reading dropped. Back in August my highest reading was 44 ppm. I am delighted. I believe it was a combination of the 10 day Rifaximin antibiotic treatment, supported by diet and going off PPI’s that turned things around. Although a doctor recently put me on Prevacid, another doctor took me back off after a few days due to Esophageal Manometry and Ph testing within a week or two. I read some interesting facts about H pylori today while getting tested. Fifty percent of people in my age group (over 50) purportedly have the infection. So, I am asking my doctor about getting this test done as well. The nurse said that if the result is positive, I should get my dog and husband tested. Supposedly, the infection can be transmitted through contact with saliva, and my dog licks my face a lot! The infection can be re-transmitted until everyone with the infection is treated and cured.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi JI- which kind of doctor can do the SIBO & Hp tests? Gastro, ENT, genetal practicioner?

JI
    Participant

Hi Jaeme–a Gastroenterologist ordered the tests. I had (will have) to go to specific locations to get the tests done as the facility must have the specialized equipment.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks JI- My Gastro doc wanted to do the pH monitoring with the nasal & throat probes. But his only answer if acid was found- go on PPIs (which of course I won’t do). When I explained the SIBO/FP concept, he did not seem too interested. I will try again to see if he wiill order the SIBI & H.p. tests instead.

Jaeme
    Participant

Norm- I was under the impression to avoid antibiotics at all costs now. Do you approve of the Rafiximin treatment abive for SIBO?

JI
    Participant

Hi Jaeme–I know that one reason the PPI route was not suggested was that I have been on three different ones with no improvement in symptoms. Otherwise, I do not know if my current doctor might have suggested them. I think Nexium contributed to me getting SIBO in the first place. I used to eat lots of bagels (high FP) figuring that bread was good to absorb excess stomach acid. That was probably another contributing factor. I am happy that this doctor wants to find the root cause of my problem instead of labeling it as GERD based upon symptoms.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Jaeme,
    Not at all. I am not against antibiotics at all costs. But I believe that dietary intervention with the Fast Tract Diet should be tried first for most SIBO-related conditions. Here is the conclusion from my blog artcle Are Antibiotics Safe for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “My recommendation is to treat all but the most severe forms of IBS with a science-based diet that limits SIBO. Antibiotics should be reserved for IBS/SIBO conditions that either fail to respond to diet or that involve more severe symptoms such as weight loss, failure to thrive, steatorrhea (the body’s failure to digest fats), anemia, bleeding or bruising, night blindness, bone pain and fractures, leaky gut syndrome, and autoimmune reactions. More severe symptoms which may include vomiting, constant diarrhea, fever or blood in the stool may be indicators of even more serious illness and should be evaluated by your doctor as soon as possible.”

goddessrocks
    Participant

Hi all.. i recall us talking about a new medication that was coming out to treat diarrhea . Do you remember the name of it? i would greatly appreciate some help… been on line and not sure what to look for or the name doesn’t seem familiar.

thank you… Angela

Jaeme
    Participant

My gasgtro Doc does not want to give me the hydrogren breath test for SIBO, as he says it will not help me because I do not have IBS diarrhea. He also says there is no test for H. pylori except for a biopsy of the stomach during an endoscopy (even though there is the urea breath test). I have been arguing with his nurse that others with GERD/LPR/etc. are being tested for this due to Norm’s theory about the fermentation gases. Not sure how to get him on board, or how to find a Doc who would be willing.

Also, my ENT Doc did write a script for Carafate, but he wrote if for pills not liquid – argH! He kept saying he did not think Carafate would help me because I do not have an ulcer (again, not understanding the mechanism behind Norm’s theory and LPR). Well, yeah, Carafate won’t help my throat if it is taken in pill form. 🙁

JI
    Participant

Jaeme, I am so sorry you are struggling. One thing I can tell you is that there is a breath test for H-pylori. The nurse told me about it when I had my second hydrogen breath test for SIBO. It is simple as you only have to breath twice into bags. My doctor checked for H-pylori when I had the EGD done, but it’s not the only way. Call around until you find a doctor that can offer you this test. There is specialized equipment that is used. I would think that you would have more luck with a doctor who is part of a huge hospital system. I did not have IBS diarrhea when I was diagnosed with SIBO. My symptoms were that I had LOTS of gas, LOTS of BM”S per day, like 8, and also one episode of diarrhea, usually around dinner time each day. There would be lots of white foamy substance in the toilet bowl, too. Everyone’s symptoms are different, so SIBO presents itself in many ways. Sorry if this is TMI!

goddessrocks
    Participant

do either of you know of the new med for diarrhea? my dr is clueless…

thanks Angela

JI
    Participant

Sorry, goddessrocks, but I do not know. Maybe your local Pharmacist can help you. After all, he or she is the one who fills the prescriptions. I hope you can get your question answered.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.