Skip to main content

How does cooking affect FP?

//How does cooking affect FP?
How does cooking affect FP?2014-05-13T21:24:18+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A How does cooking affect FP?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The GI of veggies is different depending on whether they’re cooked, and maybe depending on how they’re cooked. That must mean the FP changes too. They lose mass too, at least if they’re boiled, but I can’t find an estimate of how much.

I steam or boil all my veggies until mushy, because I seem to digest them better. I wonder if that lowers FP significantly, because it breaks down the fiber? I need to gain weight, so I sure don’t want to limit FPs more than necessary!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

In general, you would think cooking a food longer would increase the GI, thus reducing the FP. And this is true when you compare raw to cooked carrots for instance, but it might not be that cut and dry when you’re taking about cooking vs overcooking. Some studies demonstrate that the cooking method can be a stronger determinant. In one study on potatoes, boiling produced a lower GI than baking for instance. I know this doesn’t completely answer your question, but here’s a reference for this recent paper. You should be able to find other good references in it. http://benthamscience.com/open/tonutrj/artilces/V006/1TONUTRJ.pdf

Kelly
    Participant

Oooh, when I saw this was about the GI of sweet potatoes, I hoped there would be a cooking method that would make them tolerable for FTD. Unfortunately, no. The GIs don’t change much for the methods they tested. They do mention that the GI has tested as high as 94 — I would love to find out what variety of sweet potato and method of cooking produced that!

I miss sweet potatoes. I hope someday the SIBO is resolved, so I can eat them again…

mickeyb
    Participant

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if you remove all peel/skins from fruit and vegetables this will reduce fibre and FP?

Also it seems nut butters/spreads have less fibre than whole nuts and I assume have a higher GI also resulting in a lower FP? I also need extra calories so this is something I’m going to try.

cmcuk
    Participant

what you are saying makes sense Mickey.

Reducing fibre would affect the FP calculation directly, but it does depend on how the values given on a packet or nutrition site calculate the fibre – do they include the peel/skins in their calculation – I don’t know or know how you would find out.

re nut butters the GI’s for nuts and their butters appear very similar- so may be about any added ingredients (sugar, oil) where there is a difference?

intrigued by this thread, as am (geek-ily) getting into the idea of different starches and how they behave, but also want to bake and concerned about relying on almond flour alone for this. Came across this, which is interesting – though they are coming from the perspective of amylose is great it lowers GI!
    http://www.montignac.com/en/the-factors-that-modify-glycemic-indexes/

interested also in hearing (more experienced, ‘cos I have just started this) people’s thoughts and experiences with ‘waxy’ maize and barley? – especially if you have used the flours.

Kelly
    Participant

Mickey, I’ve read that peeling vegetables & fruits does reduce the fiber, and so does cooking. Unfortunately most of the data I’ve seen doesn’t seem to reflect that.

For nut butters, I don’t think nuts like almonds are blanched (peeled) first, so I don’t think the fiber & FP would be different. I thought the higher GI for peanut butter was because most have added sugar.

However, you can buy almond flour without the peel.
    Almond meal usually means the whole nut, but if the nuts are blanched first it’s called almond flour. Read the ingredients to be sure.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.