Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD Helpful supplements

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

A lot of us are using supplements to help in curing our digestive woes. I thought it would be good to share. What is helpful to you?
    I really think that DGL licorice ginger capsules, and aloe vera capsules help me. I have been taking l-glutamine, figure it cannot hurt. I recently added zinc carsonine to the line up, reading that it is good for the gut lining, and many people feel it helps with acid reflux over time. I’m taking a time-released probiotic called Probiotic CD that is supposed to survive the acidity of the stomach to reach the small intestine. I take the probiotic because I had to take an antibiotic when I had dental surgery.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi JI – I am taking the DGL, and I think it helps. Also a delayed-release probiotic so it survives the stomach acid. I have not had the courage to try aloe vera yet (does this have an FP?). I also drink ginger tea, but not every day. I found Lana’s post and Norm’s response under “N-acetyl glucosamine” very interesting.

JI
    Participant

I don’t believe aloe vera gel would be high in FP, no sugar and doesn’t seem to have carbs. I don’t think the gel would have fiber. Yes, the N-acetyl glucosamine info was interesting.

Jaeme
    Participant

I have found that any reflux/acid throat symptoms that occur a few hours after eating have been helped by drinking alkaline water (pH of higher than 7). Fiji water is pH 7.7, other brands as high as over pH 8. This seems to neutralize any acid in the throat, and if drank a few hours after meals, does not dilute the acid for digestion. I only use it when any symptoms are present, as I want the acid in the stomach.

JI
    Participant

Thanks, Jaeme. For some reason, my throat has been burning a lot lately, mainly in the evening. I will try the alkaline bottled water.

Anonymous

When I first started researching LPR I came across healthboards.com, Acid Reflux/gerd message board, (my solution for LPR)user JPT2013. This is where I learned about Dr. J Kaufman and her book dropping acid. She is a dr in New York and has healed many LPR patients, especially singers who have lost their voice due to LPR. She promotes the low acid diet.Jaeme calls it the kill me now diet. If you read the post JPT2013 talks about high ph water and how it deactivates pepsin that gets into your airways. Dr K has feels pepsin is the main culprit in LPR, it attaches itself to our airways causing inflammation and cellular damage. Once it gets in the airways it can remain dormant until we eat something high in acid then it gets reactivated.Pepsin is not removed by any PPI. I like Norms diet the best and feel the best on the FT way of eating, but I believe pepsin has attached itself to my airways and does get reactivated by things I eat. I believe that’s why certain things still burn my throat going down, especially wine.anyway one of the things I have done since reading the healthboards.com post mentioned above is I boil high ph9.5 essentia water every morning and breath in the vapors through my nose and throat. I don’t drink it because I don’t want to lower the acid in my stomach. jPT2013 even gargles with it and uses it as a nose spray. I get the water by the case at whole foods. If your’re interested in the research about pepsin you can read the post on healthboards.com. Also dr Kaufman has a website, and professor K.D.bardhan has written a medical research paper on pepsin.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi 19 – More great sharing on this forum! Yes, I got here by trying the Dropping Acid/Koufman approach first. My symptoms got much worse (which makes sense with Norm’s research) and my health went downhill fast. Unlike Norm, Dr. Koufman is treating the symptom not the cause. However, I did find out about the alkaline water through that website. I think it will help to heal sensitive tissues and turn off pepsin while the FT diet is working on the gut bacteria (same reason I kept the high acid foods out of the FT diet for the first week while I switched over). I definitely would not drink water higher than pH 8, as the pH scale is x10 for each number. Whole milk has a pH of 7.33, so any water mid-upper 7’s should be okay. I like the suggestion of gargling with the really high pH water, and breathing the vapors seems like it would help if you have burning there. I had not needed the alkaline water until recently I am having some sore throat issues. I think it may be the continuing change over of my gut bacteria while I try to figure out the right level of FPs for me and if I am gluten-intolerant or not.

dheims
    Participant

Hi Jaeme!I’m about to embark in the Essentia/Steam approach myself. I’m wondering if you’ve seen any perceived results from this strategy? Conceivably it should work, so long as the water retains it’s high PH. I emailed Essentia and they said boiling the water shouldn’t change the PH. From what I’ve read, Pepsin is eliminated “on contact” with PH higher than 8.8. So I’m hopeful any embedded Pepsin can be quickly eliminated in the larnyx, vocal cords, nasal passages/sinuses, lungs and eustachian tubes. I’m surprised I haven’t read about others trying this. Though I suppose the whole Pepsin/LPR link is relatively recent. I’ll keep you posted on how I feel it’s working.

On another front, the Reza-Band looks very promising! It just so happens that my NYC ENT, Dr Stacy Silvers, was part of the trial to test effectiveness. I just found this out and have an appointment with her next week. She’s quoted in an article saying the device was so effective that her patients are trying to construct homemade versions and were able to totally get off medication. (Apparently they took the devices back after the trial was over.) I emailed the company and they said they hope to have the product on the market by the end of the year. I’ll keep you posted on what Dr. Silvers says. Here’s the website to the device:http://www.somnatherapeutics.com/about

JI
    Participant

Wow, I am so glad I revisited this thread. Testing revealed that I have nonacid reflux, and not a lot of it. My main culprit may be pepsin. I forgot about the alkaline water. My mind was preoccupied with all the tests and trying to get to the root of my problem. The water may be beneficial as my most annoying symptom is a burning feeling in the throat. Dr. Koufman’s diet did not seem to help me, possibly because I had SIBO at the time. Thanks for your input, everyone!

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi dheims! Its been a while since I wrote the above post, and the good news is I am 99% cured of my LPR thanks to the FTDiet, probiotics, enzymes, kefir & fermented foods, some supplements, and once stomach healed, Betaine HCL. The FTDiet beat back the SIBO and helped me figure out my trigger foods were starches/whole grains. Now I am doing so well I am eating almost everything (but small amounts of triggers so I can monitor for SIBO comeback), and weaning off supplements

This all took about 4-5 months, which is common for digestive healing. So please hang in there and give time for gut bacteria to re-adjust (there will be ups and downs)- its worth it to have no prescription drugs or procedures.

Jaeme
    Participant

P.S.- check my post under “Food Just Sits There” & other threads for details on what supplements, etc. helped me.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good posts here. I talk about non-acid reflux in part 2 of my 3-part series on acid reflux. Alkaline water or even tap water with a very small amount (1/4 teaspoon) of baking soda might be helpful for LPR – or gargling with it. I don’t thin the effect will be significant on overall stomach acidity.

JI
    Participant

Thanks for the tip, Norm! I was about to go out and buy some alkaline water; however, the thrifty part of me likes the baking soda water idea.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi JI- glad to hear you have found the source of your reflux, so now you can narrow down your game plan. Hope you can find what will work for you. Thanks for updates- we’ve both been on this “journey” for a while now, & its good to hear from you. Best wishes for healing & solution.

JI
    Participant

Thanks for your support to me and others along the way, Jaeme! I feel that gargling with and swallowing a little of the water with baking soda soothed my throat. I am sticking largely with FT guidelines; but when I get symptoms, the Gaviscon Advance that I ordered from the UK really seems to help. I am feeling much better lately, and am happy that you are doing so well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.