Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD Health habits for GERD – Japan study

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We talk about a lot of things to improve health at this forum. And here is another one suggestion.
    A Japan study “Lifestyle factors affecting gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms: a cross-sectional study of healthy 19864 adults using FSSG scores” finds two important things:

1) Sleep quality is essential for GERD treating (unfortunately i can’t find exact how long one should sleep in the case of GERD)
    It is well-known that nighttime GERD symptoms are the crucial cause of sleep disorders [32,33], but recent studies also suggested that a link between sleep problems and GERD might be bidirectional, for example, due to the influence of sleep stages on esophago-upper esophageal sphincter contractile reflex [34] or due to reinforcing perception of intra-esophageal acid [35]. Therefore, improving quality of sleep might be essential for relieving GERD symptoms.

2) Eating habits – not what you eat, but how you eat!
    Accordingly, such dietary habits as the following should be avoided:
    1) having dinner a few hours before going to bed,
    2) the habit of eating a midnight snack,
    3) frequently going without breakfast, and
    4) the habit of quick eating.
    It should be noteworthy that these four diet-related factors present more significant effects than alcohol or smoking on GERD symptoms

Rather inteeresting, isnt’t it? Maybe it can be helpful…

Jaeme
    Participant

I quit doing all four of the habits in point #2, and it helped a lot. Due to my job, the most difficult is #4, and I can tell it when I have to eat quickly and not chew food to the almost liquid stage.

Pompadur
    Participant

Thank you for sharing your experience Jaeme!
    My only “bad habbit” from the list is eating close to bed time. But i will do my best to quit it.

Jaeme
    Participant

I originally tried no eating for up to 5 hours before bed, then gradually decreased the time to about 3.5 hours to find the threshold. Any less than that and I reflux at night. Also no drinking even water for 2-3 hours before bed (except a few sips with the Mag Citrate I take at bedtime). Was told a lors of water in the stomach will cause reflux because of the pressure on the LES.

Pompadur
    Participant

Yes, my doctor also tells that even water is better to avoid before bedtime.

Pompadur
    Participant

By the way, i found another one very fresh study that is usefull for this topic:
    Recurrence of gastroesophageal reflux disease correlated with a short dinner-to-bedtime interval.
    Conclusion of the study:

Both ERD and NERD patients who sleep within 3 h after eating have a higher risk of GERD recurrence. Our findings highlight the impact of a short dinner-to-bedtime interval on the recurrence of GERD (ClinicalTrials.gov ID: KCT0000134).

Here we are: it is needed 3 hours before bedtime.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Great post Pompadur. Wise behaviors for sure. I do most of them, but frequently go without breakfast, or perhaps a handful of nuts, which seems helpful for me.

Pompadur
    Participant

Thank you Norm!
    I try to have dinner before 18-19:00 last few days (since i found the article). And i can say that it is somewhat helpful for my night GERD. I will go on with early dinners so.

Pompadur
    Participant

One more interesting article
    Dietary habits and esophageal cancer (Diseases of the Esophagus
    Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 59–67, January 2015)

Highlights:
    – Retinol and β-carotene – probably protective;
    – Vitamins C and E – mixed results;
    – Vitamin D – mixed results, but can be harmfull (so i decided to stop taking it for now);
    – Zinc and selenium – probably protective;
    – Riboflavin, folate, and B12 – probably protective;
    – Coffee – (caffeine) – can be protective.

So it is worth to drink your cup of coffee in the morning 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.