Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Gut benefits of chocolate

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Interesting articles on how chocolate is fermented in gut by good bacteria, not bad. The better, less processed it is, as well as unsweetened, the better it is.

Also see: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/12/08/gut-microbes-make-dark-chocolate-healthy.aspx?x_cid=20141208_lead_gut-microbes-make-dark-chocolate-healthy_facebookdoc
    for a discussion on different types of chocolate

ftder
    Participant

Thanks 49Barefoot this is interesting. However, after reading Norm’s Fiber series on his blog, it makes me look at this part of the article differently:

“The “stomach” and “small intestine” broke down and absorbed some of the cocoa. But while many of the flavonols previously identified in chocolate were digested in this way, there was still plenty of undigested cocoa matter. Gut bacteria in the simulated colon then broke that down further into metabolites, small enough to be absorbed into the bloodstream and known to reduce cardiac inflammation. Finally, the last undigested cocoa matter, now mostly fiber, began to ferment, releasing substances that improve cholesterol levels. And there was another health-giving twist to this entire process: The gut microbes that digested the cocoa were desirable probiotics like lactobacillus. Their numbers appeared to increase after the introduction of the cocoa, while less-salutary microbes like staphylococcus declined in number.”

The challenge with SIBO is that the fiber is not getting to the colon for further breakdown and fermentation, as it is being digested and fermented by the bacteria that are supposed to be in the large intestine but have migrated to the Small Intestine. So it presents the same issues as ANY fiber that is problematic for SIBO sufferers. I am thinking this is why milk chocolate is recommended (?) especially early on? Perhaps small amounts of dark chocolate can be added when total FP is considered for the day?

49barefoot
    Participant

Thanks for your take on this, Bearsmom! Where does the recommendation from milk chocolate come from? I missed seeing that.
    Norm, what is your take on chocolate?

ftder
    Participant

Ha ha I don’t know if it is “recommended” but I think it may be the lesser of two evils. I thought I saw a few references on the site and possibly in the IBS book?

AndreaS
    Participant

The fermentation potential is roughly the same for plain milk chocolate and dark chocolate (note though that this is only true for plain chocolate). The GI of chocolate increases with the amount of added sugar. Dark chocolate has more cacao solids, less net carbs, less sugar, but higher amounts of fiber, and hence a lower GI. If I do the calculations I get approximately the same FP values, about 32-34g per 100g chocolate.
    So, if one wants to eat less sugar, it’s dark chocolate. If one wants to avoid fiber, milk chocolate is recommended. However, with such a high FP FTD folks won’t eat much chocolate anyway.

ftder
    Participant

Thanks Andrea!

I have not been able to eat any chocolate in 2 years, until I found the FTD and hoping to get things under control. So to say FTD folks don’t eat “Much” still sounds like more than I eat LOL. So does this mean you never eat chocolate? What about combining coco powder with an approved sweetener, as in, chocolate cheesecake, or cheesecake with a few chocolate chips and accounting for those? I thought the whole gist of FTD was watching points. So if you ate a very low FP day, would it be reasonable to have a piece of chocolate?

AndreaS
    Participant

I don’t strictly exclude chocolate but it’s not part of my regular diet. However, after reading the pages that 49barefoot pointed to I am looking forward to run a “test” where I eat chocolate on a regular basis. Haven’t thought much about it yet, but home-made chocolate with a sweetener or dextrose seems to be an option, too, and sure fun to experiment with 🙂

ftder
    Participant

Hi Andrea!
    Let us know how it goes. My IC doctor does not see good results when people consume chocolate regularly, but they also are likely consuming other fermentable carbs, so maybe if one is careful this is possible. However. I worry regular consumption of chocolate (as in, daily) would just feed SIBO bacteria in those of us that are already susceptable and that this population would not acheive the same benefits of large intestine fermentation found in some of the general population?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.