Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Does anyone have any info on whether guar gum is highly fermentable?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Guar gum is soluble branched galactomannon fiber meaning it has a mannose sugar backbone and galactose sugar side groups. Guar gum comes from the endosperm of the guar seed and is found in a variety of foods including legumes, oatmeal, barley, ice cream, soups and baked goods. It’s a great thickening agent, but it’s most definitely fermentable. The FP is essentially 100% of the gross weight.

hazymandolin
    Participant

Thanks Norm. I was looking at using it in homemade ice cream where the quantities are pretty small, but with an FP of 100% I think I will give it a wide berth for now. At least until I have been symptom free for some time. The ice cam can wait 🙂

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I see. The big thing is keeping overall FP levels in check. If it’s only a few grams and you keep your overall levels in line, it might not be a problem. Maybe something to experiment with when your symptoms are under control.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Here’s a bit more info on Guar gum. One talblespoon weighs approximately 12 grams or 0.44 ounces. That amount has an FP of 10 grams. If you used this amount in a recipe that makes 10 servings, that would only be 1 gram per serving.

hazymandolin
    Participant

Great info, thanks!

Whitey
    Participant

Hi – can anyone tell me if that’s the same for PHGG (partially hydrolysed guar gum)? As it’s not coming up in the app (guar gum is but not partially hydrolyzed guar gum) and I’m taking along with a prebiotic-free probiotic at the moment and I’m not sure if it’s that making my acid worse or not? I take 7g a day although I did once take it along with Rifaximin (I took 5g daily back then) and I don’t think I had any worsening of symptoms (although I was taking the antibiotic obviously).
    I’m confused and would really appreciate some help – thank you

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good question. PHGG as the name implies is partially broken down, but for all fibers the best practice is to consider the total carbs (which are fiber) as the FP points. I’d be interested in hearing how you do with it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.