Skip to main content

Guar Gum

Guar Gum2014-07-07T14:55:54+00:00

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Does anyone have any info on whether guar gum is highly fermentable?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Guar gum is soluble branched galactomannon fiber meaning it has a mannose sugar backbone and galactose sugar side groups. Guar gum comes from the endosperm of the guar seed and is found in a variety of foods including legumes, oatmeal, barley, ice cream, soups and baked goods. It’s a great thickening agent, but it’s most definitely fermentable. The FP is essentially 100% of the gross weight.

hazymandolin
    Participant

Thanks Norm. I was looking at using it in homemade ice cream where the quantities are pretty small, but with an FP of 100% I think I will give it a wide berth for now. At least until I have been symptom free for some time. The ice cam can wait 🙂

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I see. The big thing is keeping overall FP levels in check. If it’s only a few grams and you keep your overall levels in line, it might not be a problem. Maybe something to experiment with when your symptoms are under control.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Here’s a bit more info on Guar gum. One talblespoon weighs approximately 12 grams or 0.44 ounces. That amount has an FP of 10 grams. If you used this amount in a recipe that makes 10 servings, that would only be 1 gram per serving.

hazymandolin
    Participant

Great info, thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.