Skip to main content

Greek yogurt

Greek yogurt2014-07-22T22:16:14+00:00
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

For the life of me I can’t find the Glycemic index of Greek yogurt. Am I dumb??? On certain sites that have GI values I will find Greek yogurt–but it’s with honey or some other flavoring. Would the GI be the same as regular plain yogurt?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Mrryan,
    Not dumb at all. Unfortunately, many foods have not been tested for GI. I suggest using the GI for regular yogurt (36).

Kelly
    Participant

In theory, strained yogurt should have a lot less lactose than regular yogurt, because lactose sticks with the whey when it’s drained off. Possibly a lower ratio of sugar to fat would lower the GI too? But I don’t know how that would work in numerical terms.

FrugalJen
    Participant
    AndreaS
    Participant

I’d be very careful with “published” GI values if the source is not disclosed. As Norm says many foods have not been tested. And even those we have values for are often tested only by about 10 people. In general, this leads to rather vague numbers like 12 +/- 4 for a particular Greek Yoghurt published in Atkinson FS, Foster-Powell K, Brand-Miller JC: International Tables of Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load Values: 2008. Diab Care 2008; 31(12).

The UoS driven site http://www.glycemicindex.com/ shows only the value “12” at first glance. When you click the name of the food in the listing you get to the more detailed info, for this Greek Yoghurt it is http://www.glycemicindex.com/foodSearch.php?num=1275&ak=detail where the SEM value is the error margin +/- 4.

For the FTD I recommend the conservative approach: If in doubt use the lower numbers. Fortunately, e.g. with yoghurt the GI simply doesn’t matter much because of the low amount of carbs.

FrugalJen
    Participant

thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.