Skip to main content
GI values2015-01-19T13:59:06+00:00

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Is the glycemic index number for vegetables in your tables in the back of the SIBO book given for cooked or raw veggies? Would it make a difference? I.e., would cooked/canned green beans have a different glycemic index than raw green beans (and thus a different FP)? Would the GI and thus the FP be different for boiled carrots than raw carrots? If so, which does your tables reflect?

What is the best website to find GI values? http://www.glycemicindex.com seems to be limited (no onions, salsa, etc.) and differs from the values given in the Fast Tract book tables (see tapioca, difference of 93 on the site and 81 in the book).

cwk
    Participant

I have the same question about raw vs. cooked vegetables. Many are listed in the app with values for raw, but none for cooked. Perhaps they are the same value and just listed as raw in order to clarify that the serving amounts are raw amounts?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

The answer lies in portion size cwk. For example, 1 cup of cooked spinach contains much more spinach than 1 cup of spinach raw. This is due to water loss from cooking.

When you measure out raw veggies, the FP will either be the same or slightly lower when you cook it. It will never be higher.

But when you measure a veggie that has been cooked recognize that you often will be getting more veggies and less water and air – its more concentrated.

That is why I included some examples of cooked veggies. When in doubt, measure the veggies out raw and use the corresponding FP whether or not you cook them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.