Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A GI of processed Jasmine rice?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Dear fellow fast tracters,

We know that the glycemic index of Jasmine rice is 100% or higher. Norm wrote in “Fast Tract Digestion IBS” that “cooked, then cooled, starchy vegetables can contain tree times as much resistant starch”.

I wonder what you think or know about the glycemic index of cooked, then cooled Jasmine rice, and rice flour made from Jasmine rice, and finally rice milk made from Jasmine rice (I am thinking about trying this just for fun plus the hopefully lower FP).

My wild guesses are that if Jasmine rice is 100+%, average rice products are ~60%, cooked and then cooled Jasmine rice will be somewhere in the middle, say 85%. I also assume rice flour and milk to have a slightly higher GI, perhaps even 95% or higher if made from Jasmine rice.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Makes sense to me Andrea. Thanks for looking into this. Please do post about your experience with these foods made from jasmine rice. Do you know of a source for jasmine rice flour and jasmine rice milk?

Lana
    Participant

Andrea, it does sound like you’re on the right track. I’m sure the rice milk would be quite low in resistant starch due to the water. As for the flour, I would recommend ‘Sweet Rice Flour’ instead. It is made using Glutinous rice (sticky rice). Because flour is dry, resistant starch would be an issue. Jasmine rice contains approx. 15% amylose starch whereas Sticky Rice contains less than 1% amylose starch. It’s the amylose starch that’s the culprit in forming resistant starch.
    “The amylose content of starches is the major cause of resistant starch formation.”
    http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/hysta.html
    (this is an interesting read!)

Another tidbit from this article:
    “amylomaizes contain over 50% amylose whereas ‘waxy’ maize has almost none (~3%)”
    I bought some waxy maize (you’ll find it at bodybuilding places or health food stores) but haven’t used it yet (still too busy with renos!!). It will replace cornstarch and potato starch in recipes.

AndreaS
    Participant

Hi Norm, hi Lana and fellow FTDers,

Jasmine rice flour indeed exists. Unfortunately, so far I cannot provide much information. I just happened to buy flour here in Austria and was pleasantly surprised to read later that it was made from “original Hom Mali Reis”. 100g is listed as having 80g carbs with 0g fiber. The appearance is white with a hint of yellow, no dark spots. Looks like it is what we FTD folks crave for 🙂
    For reference, the label is “Bio-leben”. The product is named “100% Fairtrade Bio Reismehl”. I bought it in Austria in a major supermarket.

About rice milk: None of the available products I have checked so far disclosed the type of rice. However, I looked up DIY recipes on the web. Haven’t yet tried it but it should be fairly simple to make rice milk from Jasmine rice. I’ll definitely try it once I finished my left-overs.

A warning for people like me: I bought Jasmine rice from a relatively trusted source. Only much later I realized that it apparently was brown rice. I made a photo that compares it with a white Jasmine rice: https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/587x594q90/539/wGyeRf.jpg
    The brown type needs 2.5 cups of water and cooks for at least 40 minutes. The white type needs 2 cups of water and cooks within 20 minutes. The amount of fiber of the white one is not provided. The brown one has 2.2% DF. I am pretty sure the white one has less.
    The differences in cooking time of various brands I find pretty alarming. Nevertheless, the higher glycemic indices of Jasmine rice were probably observed with the typical white 20 minute cooking type.

Thanks Lana for your interesting reply and the link to Martin Chaplin’s pages. I agree that the water in the rice milk should have positive effects. And I hope it does 🙂

About resistant starch: Do I understand you correctly that you say that resistant starch is more likely to build via retrogradation in flour due to the larger surface? That sounds reasonable to me. Unfortunately so. I was always worried about the effects of milling grains to flour!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.