Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A General Q&A on Fast Tract Diet

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Norm,

I am confused about lactose-free ice cream. I bought some Breyer’s lactose-free vanilla, and it says the main ingredient is skin milk. Since your diet recommends heavy cream over skim…I’m just confused – doesn’t make sense to me. Thanks for your insights.

ronnie
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

A while back I posted that I had been experimenting with ‘ancient grains’ (low-gluten, not gluten-free – names like “emmer” and “turkey red” from a local organic flour mill). Anyway…I bought one of their pre-made pizza dough balls, and experimented with a couple of pizza recipes – no good! Lots of reflux symptoms right away. Oh well…just wanted to share my experience.

ronnie
    Participant

Hi again All,
    Does anyone have experience with specific brands of rice noodles or rice pasta? I know that some of them say they are made with brown rice (bad for us), but many of them don’t specify whether they are made with white or brown rice. Has anyone looked into this? Thanks!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Ronnie,The FP calculation includes all carbs that come from the skim milk, though the lactose has been enzymatically digested. Just adjust the serving size based on the listed FP.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good experiment Ronnie with the ancient grains, but I am not surprised. I am convinced it’s the resistant starch.

Jaeme
    Participant

After all the trial & error, eliminating foods & adding back in, it is the starches that are my trigger foods- so you may be right Norm.

Andeo23
    Participant

Dr. Robillard,

You covered about all the sweeteners I could think of in the book, except for Agave. Any thought on the FP of agave?

Scott L
    Participant

hi Norm/ all.

Quick background, I am a 23 year old male who throughout his life maybe had 2-3 instances of GERD and otherwise was completely fine. This last April, I developed extreme stomach pain that was ultimately felt to be an ulcer. I was put on omeprazole 40mg which provided complete relief. Then when I tried to taper off Prilosec after one month I had some dyspepsia and it was recommended I I create back to 40mg daily. Eventually I decided to stop Prilosec altogether and take Zantac 150 twice a day. That went fine until about 7-8 days later I got hit with insane rebound. I had constant reflux and burning that lasted pretty much 24/7, only relief was if I ate nothing. My doctor ended up putting me back on pantoprazole this time 40mg twice daily. I eventually recovered and tried tapering more slowly, however once I got to 40mg daily I began to have increased bloating and burping after eating. Recently I increased back to 60mg daily and started the fast tract diet about 5 days ago. So far I think I’ve seen some improvement, though I still have difficulty if I eat anything close to what used to be a normal sized meal. I’m wondering if people on PPIs can still have success with this diet and ultimately can better wean off the PPI. Does it take longer to see the full effect if you are on a PPI? I really believe most of my issues relate to my PPI use as I really never had a problem with this previously. Thanks for all your support this is an incredibly frustrating process.

JI
    Participant

Hi Scott–Acid rebound from weaning off PPI’s is hell, but it’s not a forever thing. In my case, the acid rebound lasted maybe a week. I was on PPI’s to no avail because testing showed I have non-acid instead of acid reflux. Yes, you can start the diet while on PPI’s and then wean off very slowly. You can look up weaning off PPI’s online and read other people’s experiences. The People’s Pharmacy is a very helpful website.

Some of the forum participants have found great relief with DGL licorice, marshmallow root, and slippery elm. All can be purchased online or at health food stores. Also, the prescription drug Carafate, which is primarily prescribed for healing ulcers, has helped many people. The off-label use is for the treatment of acid reflux disease. Good luck in your healing journey. You will get lots of support here.

Akavery
    Participant

Hi, I’m just trying to figure out which book I should buy. I am new to Fast Tract and I want to get either Fast Tract Digestion Heartburn or IBS, just not sure which it if I should get both. I have severe Gerd with non-acid reflux that often wakes me up choking. I also deal with bloating (sometimes quite sever) dependin upon what I eat, and constipation. I also often feel a tightness in my abdomine below my ribs that makes it hard to sing or diaphragm breathe. What will help me better, the heartburn FTD book or the IBS, since I may have both? I also have questions on some of the other diets like SCD. I saw that this is covered in the IBS book, but is it covered in the FTD Heartburn book as well? Thanks so much!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good point Andeo. I did not cover agave. I didn’t think to mention it as this sweetener is composed of chains of fructose. And fructose is not something most people with gut issues should consume. But I should update my materials to cover this. Thanks!

ftder
    Participant

I find some of these issues regarding sweeteners to be a mystery. Take agave, for example. It is berated in the holistic community as an EVIL sweetener (LOL). And yet, my holistic doctor has used it with her patients in her holistic practice for 20 YEARS as a safe alternative sweetener. She treats Interstitial Cystitis, and MANY of her patients have IBS as a precursor, SIBO, GERD, Fybromyalgia, Fatigue, etc…. When they are rebalanced (In Classical Chinese Medicine this means ALL the organ systems functioning more optimally) then organic, raw agave in moderation is not a problem AT ALL for her patients, and a much gentler approach than table sugar which we all know now contributes to cancer and heart disease. Mmany of her patients have had candida overgrowth also. People risk relapse when they eat sugar, and NOT when they use maple syrup, maple sugar, brown rice syrup and agave in moderation.

A biased, but interesting letter about Agave:
    http://www.icama.org/blog-entry/agave-nectar-0

Agave may lower risk of diabetes
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2014/03/17/new-sweetener-from-the-tequila-plant-may-aid-diabetes-weight-loss/

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.