Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A General Q&A on Fast Tract Diet

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Participant

After following the diet for 2-3 weeks, I finally have the book! And lots more questions…

All along, I’ve been calculating FPs myself from nutrition labels and information on the internet. Some of my results are different from the food lists, and I’m surprised to see that I have GIs for many vegetables where the book uses 50. I also have different amounts of carbs and fiber for some, which I would guess is dependent on cooking method. The food list doesn’t specify how vegetables are cooked, if at all.

I’ve gotten my GI info from:
    http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm
    http://www.glycemicindex.com/foodSearch.php
    http://www.montignac.com/en/search-for-a-specific-glycemic-index/
    http://appliedresearch.cancer.gov/glycemic_db/

Sometimes they disagree, and sometimes one has a food the others don’t. Norm, I wonder where you got yours, and whether some sources are less trustworthy than others?

I’ve been getting my carb & fiber information from packages, and from the internet for fresh veggies. But sometimes the information conflicts, cooking method isn’t specified, or a particular variety of vegetable isn’t available. Is there a definitive source for nutrition information?

The book warns against reheating starchy foods — including starchy vegetables, but the only ones specified are potatoes. Which vegetables are considered starchy, or how would I determine how starchy is over the limit?

When limiting the amount of FPs at a time, what is “at a time”? (If this is in the book, I haven’t found it yet.) I searched for how long it takes the stomach to empty, and found an average of 50% after 2 hours, and mostly after 4-5 hours. But when I eat a 7 FP meal, I often feel like my stomach is empty within an hour, and I go a little crazy waiting for more. At least I don’t seem to have gastroparesis…

My symptoms aren’t fully controlled yet, but I’ve improved and am optimistic!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Kelly,
    Thank you! I’m really excited to see that you have been doing some research into GIs and carb counts and calculating your own FPs. There certainly is some variability out there in terms of GI and carb counts depending on the source.
    Most of my data came from the data base of Dr. Jennie Brand-Miller (One of the worlds formemost authorities on the GI) who gave me permission to use the GI database for the book. But I continue to challenge that database myself as new information is published. For instance, recall the dramatic increase in the FP for dates. As for carb counts, many came from that data base, but, like you I look at different sources including: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/, http://nutritiondata.self.com/, http://www.mendosa.com/, and directly off foods labels from reputable companies.

Please keep in mind that this is a new system and there will be updates, adjustments and corrections over time. One big update one is working it’s way through the system with 60 new entries from the first FP data base as well as some corrections. This one mostly affects the first printing of FTD Heartburn as it was published over two years ago (the FTD Heartburn ebook is live with the changes, the print book will follow in about a month). We are also reprinting the IBS book this summer but the updates will not be nearly as extensive. There are some that affect both books. For instance there was a typo for the net carbs of Yams. Here are the correct values for Yams: 5.3 ounce serving with a GI of 66 has 34 grams net carbs, 6 grams of fiber and the FP is 18 grams – high.

I did anticipate that inquisitive readers / researchers like yourself would eventually become involved helping move things forward by adding information and challenging the existing data. I could not be happier that you and a couple of others have joined in.

I would be glad to connect off line if you want to compare notes. Just contact the Rhea.tanaka@digestivehealthinstitute.org and ask for me.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Forgot the last question: “When limiting the amount of FPs at a time, what is “at a time”
    NR: I think you are referring to FP limits per meal? It just spreads the FP out a bit. The most important thing is limiting the overall FP in a given day.

Kelly
    Participant

I’m so glad my compulsiveness is helpful! That’s not the response I usually get. When my spreadsheet is more refined & complete, I was planning to share it with everybody. But it would be great to confer with you about the data that differ significantly from the book.

I’ve been limiting myself to 7 FP per meal, and what I meant is how long do I need to wait for a snack. But if it doesn’t matter how much FP at a time, I can go back to my previous habit of eating two generous servings of veggies per meal. That’s a lot less work!

Is there any need to limit how much at a time, or does that depend on the person? I suggest that should be clarified in future editions of the book. I’ve been tying myself in knots planning what, how much, and when to eat.

What about the starch question?

carlar
    Participant

As I write this I have not been able to get out of bed all weekend due to severe nausea. I have been diagnosed with mild chronic gastritis and mild acid reflux by endoscopy. I have spent a lot of money at the naturopath, It was advised to start the GAPS diet. However I am hoping your diet may be more appropriate for me? Also do you think it’s a good idea to supplement with pepzin (? Not sure if I spelt correctly). Thanks so much for your help!!!

Carla

Kelly
    Participant

Carla, I hope you’re feeling better today!

When I found FTD, I was already eating pretty close to the GAPS intro. I haven’t been able to reintroduce anything successfully, but it’s quite possible to follow a hybrid of GAPS and FTD. It’s not any more difficult than GAPS alone, if you were already mentally prepared for that. And as far as I can tell the combination will give faster results for severe digestive problems.

On any of these diets, you do need to experiment and figure out what works for you, because all our bodies are different. GAPS has a lot of advice that’s helped me, but also includes a number of recommendations I can’t tolerate. I doubt FTD alone would work for me either.

Some people need to make changes gradually or they get overwhelmed. Others prefer a drastic change, start out very limited and get a baseline as soon as possible so they can start testing foods. After experimenting nonstop for a year and a half, I wish I had been much more restricted from the beginning — but I don’t know if I could have coped with a more sudden change at that point.

Whatever you start with, I hope you see improvement soon!

ronnie
    Participant

I am trying to start out my first couple of weeks VERY low FP, and noticed that the snacks (e.g. the sweet nut mix, nut-thins) make up a substantial portion of the daily FP. Do you have any other alternative snack recipes (that don’t involve meat/cheese)? Thanks!

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Ronnie- when I started out I skipped most of the snacks and desserts, unless they were really low FP like the celery & cream cheese. Make sure to eat the rice if you can handle it. I skipped that at the beginning too, and went into ketosis. I use Jasmine rice unstead of sticky rice as it has the lowest FP.

saffyhoward
    Participant

Hi, I have a question regarding the the calculation of fp and hoping Norm or one of the very knowledgable posters here can help me. I have a high fibre powder containing psyllium husks, inulin, digestive enzymes and other herby things that I have found relieves a lot of the pain that I get. I know fibre and particularly inulin are going to remain completely un digested thereby causing gas to be produced but I would like to resume using it when I need to so decided to do the fp calculation and incorporate in my daily allowance from time to time as required.
    I assumed gi to =0 the container states that carbohydrate = trace and fibre 4.4 gms per 5g serve.
    Would nc be 4.4 and df be 4.4 or would nc be 0 and df be 4.4 ?
    Ie would fp for this product be 4.4 or 8.8.
    Sorry if this is a silly question but just not sure of the definition of net carbs.
    Many thanks
    Saffy

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hey Saffy,
    Net carbs would be zero. The final FP = 4.4 g.

saffyhoward
    Participant

Thanks very much Norm. I was hoping that would be the case!
    I should be able to include that product into my daily allowance occasionally without doing too much damage.
    Kind regards
    Saffy

michellefeder66@gmail.com
    Participant

Norm, I thoroughly enjoyed your book and especially appreciated the scientific logic and the derived formula for calculating FP. I am still perplexed as to why leading researchers on this topic still have vastly different lists of acceptable foods, some quite contradictory. For example, I understand that you have a unique perspective on the complete category of resistant starches (as compared to the FODMAPS diet, for example), but I do not understand why foods such as peaches, avocado, mushrooms, broccoli are OK on some lists and not OK on others. Is there something else at play here? I do not expect you to speak for others, but hoping you might still shed some light on it, as you do compare your diet to theirs…
    Thanks for the great work!!
    Michelle

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Michelle,
    Good question and one I have thought about. These are different systems for sure. I wish there was more quantitative information available on the actual amounts of FODMAPs in various foods that would make comparisons easier. Instead, the approach restricts foods with FODMAPs regardless of the actual amount. I would also like more information on the glycemic index of FODMAP-containing foods as well as more careful evaluation of dietary fiber (DF) in FODMAP foods. Most FODMAPs should increase the dietary fiber result (since digestible carbs are removed prior to measuring DF). Yet, many FODMAP-containing foods are reported to have relatively low levels of DF. Another possibility is that (at least some) FODMAPs decrease the glycemic index.

Here is one example there is some data for. A 2.8 ounce (80 gram) serving of Jerusalem artichokes (which I recently added to the FP tables) has one gram of DF and 13 grams net carbs. Following the assumption that FODMAPs (which are not showing up in the DF) might decrease the glycemic index, I did the calculation with a theoretical (and conservative) estimate of GI = 35. The grams of FP come out to 9 grams vs 4 grams for the same serving size of regular artichoke. According to this reference (Muir JG1, Shepherd SJ, Rosella O, Rose R, Barrett JS, Gibson PR. Fructan and free fructose content of common Australian vegetables and fruit. J Agric Food Chem. 2007 Aug 8;55(16):6619-27.), a 2.8 ounce serving of Jerusalem artichoke has 9.6 grams of fructan (one of the FODMAPs). So in this particular instance, the answer is similar. If the glycemic index was 50 instead of 35, the FP would be 8 grams – not much different.

If you look at the table in the reference above, you will notice that most vegetables have zero or trace amounts of fructans (perhaps some have more of the other FODMAPs, but we need the data), but a couple stand out including onions, garlic and leeks. In these instances, I still think the FP calculation will likely give a relatively similar read out. Amount does matter though. If you only use a few cloves of garlic (total weight 9 grams, net carbs 3 grams, fiber 0 grams), for example, in a stir-fry, the FP is only 2 grams. It doesn’t even matter if you use a glycemic index of 50 or 35, you still get an FP of two grams. According to the above reference, garlic has 17.4 grams of fructans per 100 gram serving. So a 9 gram serving would have 1.6 grams of fructans. Pretty close to the FP. The same answer if you round up to the nearest gram.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Carlar,
    Very sorry to hear your challenged with nausea, chronic gastritis and acid reflux. It can be challenging to get to the bottom of these issues, but well worth it if you can. With gastritis, you have an irritated stomach lining. I would check with your doctor before taking pepsin or HCl for that matter, as it could make things worse. Going low FP may help with the GERD, but I recommend continued efforts with your doctor(S) to get to the bottom of the gastritis, including looking at H. pylori and medicine usage.

JI
    Participant

Hi Carlar, I would ask your doctor about taking Carafate (generic is Sucralfate). It coats the stomach, and can help to heal your gastritis. It may also help with the acid reflux. It contains aluminum, but if you have healthy kidneys, they should flush away any residual traces. I agree with going low FP. I would be afraid to take HCI with pepsin while you have the gastritis. Even though some people claim it helps their GERD, you are ingesting Hydrochloric Acid. I hope you feel better soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.