Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Laryngopharyngeal Reflux – LPR Functional Dyspepsia, LPR, GERD, IBS

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have been diagnosed with functional dyspepsia which I believe developed from taking a course of Flagyl 500mg x 3/daily for 10 days for Blastocystis Hominis as well as being on an anti-inflammatory drug called Naproxen for 6 months (250mg x 2 daily) for inflammation in another area. I personally feel I have GERD and LPR and IBS as I am not entirely sure what functional dyspepsia is really. The doctors didn’t explain it to me – they asked me to read about it online. I went to the doctor’s because I was severely constipated, sometimes dizzy, had brain fog at times and wanted to know what was wrong with me. After being treated for Blasto. unsuccessfully (it has transpired based on recent tests) they thought I may have gastritis and I was immediately put on esomeprazole 20mg for 5 weeks. I was unsure I had gastritis but I noticed that I had extreme fatigue during this time, more dizzy spells etc and felt that milk was making my symptoms worse with acid buid up in my stomach. I had a gastroscopy, lots of tests for H.pylori, bloods tests etc and everything came back negative. Happy – I thought I was going to get better but then I developed a motility problem – it was as if my stomach stopped digesting food completely. I stopped eating and lost significant amount of weight. Then, switched to boiled veg, boiled rice and potatoes combined with digestive enzymes and Trifala at every meal which helped me to start eating 3 times a day again. I then noticed that I was refluxing a lot and couldn’t quite understand what was happening and realised that I must also have GERD and LPR. I then stumbled across this website and was really inspired so have started following the FTD loosely – just to see if this might be something for me. While my first impression is good, I feel, however, introducing meat has meant that my digestion has slowed down again. I want to eat a normal diet and help myself to heal but I don’t really know how. I think I’ve got SIBO and leaky gut but who knows. I am no expert. Does anyone have a clue? I have been ‘sick’ now for 3 months.

ScottB
    Participant

Hello CME.

Sorry to hear of your problems. You’re not alone. I’ve had the problems for about 4 years now. Started out as LPR, then I began experiencing a mild burning sensation in my stomach about a year ago. My wife has the same problem. It’s frustrating.

I’ve also had IBS-Constipation. Eating a low-FODMAP diet has helped a lot with the IBS. The Fast Tract Diet does help keep the reflux to a minimum, but it’s not a cure, at least not for me. But it helps, so I stick with it. I try not to eat too much fat — it seems to worsen symptoms. I also try to ensure I eat plenty of calories.

I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Do you have a history of anxiety? I do. Studies have linked anxiety disorder to functional dyspepsia (which just means indigestion with no obvious cause).

2. When your symptoms first appeared, where you engaged in any kind of dieting/restrictive eating? I was on a very high fat diet when symptoms first appeared.

Scott

Cme
    Participant

Hi

Thanks for your response. No restrictive diet as such but I can confirm that I was skipping lunch at the time – not good I know. I can also confirm that yes I have always suffered from anxiety. It came in the form of chlostrophobia when I was a child and then completely went away (wrong spelling, I know). Then, as an adult I started having panic attacks – which went away completely with exercise and CBT. I feel that my condition now is definitely aggravated by anxiety BUT I must say that I strongly believe that the use of Naproxen, Flagyl and Blastocystis Hominis parasite are the cause of my illness. Will I ever be able to rectify this? I don’t know. For now, I have switched to a functional medicine doctor and am awaiting my comprehensive stool/urine tests to gain some insight into my guts. I’d like to ask you a question:

How long did it take you before the FTD had any positive effect? Can you ever cheat? Have you narrowed out any particular ingredients that causes your LPR? I read on this forum that one person is sensitive to dairy and by taking out dairy completely – his LPR is cured.

Thanks

Cme
    Participant

Also, do you drink alcohol – which is allowed on the FTD?
    I have read that LPR can go into some kind of remission – has that ever happened to you?

Thanks

ScottB
    Participant

It took a week or two before I began noticing positive effects from this diet. But like I said before, it hasn’t been a cure. And if I eat too much fat, my symptoms seem to worsen.

I was dairy free for years when LPR first occurred. I was eating a high-fat paleo diet at that time. I can cheat sometimes and get away with it. Sometimes I’ll have a bit of ice cream or cheese, and it doesn’t seem to bother me. But if I overdo it, my symptoms flare up.

So for me, I try to avoid high amounts of fiber and high amounts of fat.

I’ve read lots of reports of people claiming that a certain diet has “cured” them. But if they stray from that diet, and the symptoms return, then it wasn’t really a cure. There’s still an underlying problem. Scientists have linked functional dyspepsia with anxiety. Most of the people I’ve talked to over the years, who suffer with this problem, have a history of anxiety. There’s something going on with the way our digestive systems respond to food. Certain foods that are difficult to digest, like high-fiber or high-fat foods, seem to worsen symptoms. But I don’t think those foods are the cause — they’re just more difficult to digest and our digestive systems are not as strong as they once were.

Scott

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.