Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Recipes FP food calculations

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Does anybody know what the FP of coconut milk would be? Say for an 8oz serving?
    I think different varieties have different concentrations of water, which probably complicates it. Be great to get an idea as its not in the book.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Dan,
    For unsweetened coconut milk, the FP is zero (only one gram carbs and no fiber). Coconut milk, coconut water and 58 other new foods will be in the revised FP tables of the new FTD IBS and Heartburn print books coming out in the next month or so as well as updates to the ebooks.

danb1
    Participant

Thanks Norm. Just to clarify (as I’ve just realised I wasn’t being too specific) I mean the kind of tinned coconut milk used in Thai cooking or smoothies, rather than the cartoned drink. A quick google search shows 6g of carbs per 100mg, and 2 of fiber.
    I feel that my smoothies are not sitting well with me and I’m trying to work out what’s causing the problem.

Great about the ebook update. I shall look out for that.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I see Dan. Do you mean 6 g carbs and 2 g fiber per 100 mL or 100 g serving? If so, the FP will be in the 5 gram range depending on the types of carbs (starch vs. sucrose, etc.).

danb1
    Participant

Per 100g. Fiber 2.2g and Sugar 3g. GI is 41. I don’t know on the kind of carbs :-/

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Then make that about 3-4 FP. Not sure where you got that GI from.

barerootgirl
    Participant

I found a GI of 41, as well, for coconut milk. Though the source is skeptical: http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/. I was also using this link http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3113/2 for the formula, which gives a higher fiber listing of 5g and that’s from fresh coconut milk. Frustrating considering many canned products are watered down and list lower amounts of fiber. I’ve read so much about how coconut is a highly fermentable food (Chris Kresser, Aglaee Jacob) that I’m surprised to see your ranking of 0 FP.

I am excited for the upcoming ebook update, as many foods I eat regularly due to a Paleo diet seem to be off limits based on others’ SIBO recommendations. Dark chocolate (even 100% cacao and raw cacao powder), eggs, coconut have been things I’ve been avoiding and I’d really like to reintroduce them based on your science!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info Barefoot and a good post. I added “real” coconut milk to the FP tables. Its makes more sense that there would be more carbs (8 grams net) and fiber (as you say, 5 g) in real coconut milk. The FP comes out to almost 10 grams. That’s a big difference. The FP calculations simply reflect the nutritional facts. I have a feeling some of these products are pretty watered down. I don’t use them myself.

danb1
    Participant

Ditto on the update on the science. Much better to go on your science rather than a hunch when chosing foods.
    In regards to the real coconut milk (which is very useful stuff to those of us who find too much cream and dairy…err..tooo much), is that FP per 100g serving? I know it will be in the update. Be useful that way, so we can adjust it according to whats on the can as they do vary.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

The serving size was 1 cup (240 grams) Dan.

danb1
    Participant

On my can of real Coconut milk, it lists 1.8 Carbs and 0.00 fiber per 100g, so i guess its watered down from the pure undiluted coconut pulp/milk you have calculated. In which case should be ok to use. Great in curries Norm, sweetened with a bit a bit of splenda 🙂

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

May have to try that Dan.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.