Skip to main content
FP Corrections2015-01-09T02:55:42+00:00
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Here is a discussion (from the cave man heartburn blog page) on the FP of coconut milk. Turn’s out the zero FP value I had assigned was not supported by my recent search of nutrition facts for a couple of different suppliers. So I have updated my master table and will also update the books for the next edition / printing.

Emily says:
    December 8, 2013 at 3:12 am (Edit)

Hi Dr. Norm,
    Just noticed from the “Caveman” presentation that coconut milk is now on the low fermentation list. I asked you earlier this year about coconut milk and you steered me away from it. So I assume there is not an issue of too much fructose and fructans? Thanks.

Norm Robillard says:
    December 8, 2013 at 5:03 am (Edit)

Hi Emily and thanks for a good question. It would seem there are two versions of coconut milk. One is sweetened. I am not sure if that refers to what actually comes out of a coconut, but it has 5 grams of fiber and 8 grams of sugar for an FP of around 9 grams. There is also “unsweetened” coconut milk that comes from processing the pulp that has less than one gram of carbs and no fiber for an FP of zero. Let me know if you are able to shed any more light on this. I will include both in the next update of the FP tables.
    Michelle says:
    January 8, 2015 at 11:31 pm (Edit)

Any luck on discovering which brand of coconut milk has the zero FP?
    Norm Robillard says:
    January 9, 2015 at 2:47 am (Edit)

Hi Michelle,
    Thanks for checking on this. I took another look. Here is what I found for 1 cup servings of two commercial brands:
    Silk unsweetened coconut milk has 7 g carbs, and no fiber for an FP = 4 grams.
    “So Delicious” unsweetened coconut milk has 2 g carbs, 1 g fiber for an FP = 2 grams.

I am updating my tables (and eventually the next iteration of the books) with these values. The zero FP previously assigned may have been an error on my part or based on a product label I can no longer find. At some point you’ve (meaning me) got to move on. That time seems to be now.

Jeffo
    Participant

I too was interested in coconut milk’s FP. There seems to be a bit of ambiguity with this food that is an important food for some people with gut issues.

It has crossed my mind a few times whether or not home-made (12 hour cultured) coconut yogurt would have less FP, or be less problematic, than standard uncultured coconut milk??

Any thoughts? 🙂

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Jeffo,
    The fermentation process should remove most of the sugar, but not fiber and likely not starch. So it would depend on the relative amount of those nutrients in the coconut milk. It certainly wouldn’t be worse than unfermented.

Jeffo
    Participant

Thank you 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.