Skip to main content

Food Just Sits There

//Food Just Sits There
Food Just Sits There2014-07-17T08:46:13+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD Food Just Sits There

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi

I wondered if anybody here has any suggestions? I have struggled with GERD etc for a year or so.

I started the Fast Tract diet a few weeks ago and have noticed that the excessive burping has reduced a bit which is good. Unfortunately as I have reduced my carb intake and increased protein I find that food just sits in my stomach for several hours, causing more reflux. Especially when drinking water (a while after) it fills me up and I find reflux coming back up instead of burps.

I have tried taking betaine hcl + pepsin but the same reflux happens but it is more acidic and hurts more so I would rather not take it.

I don’t take ppi’s (and haven’t for a couple of months now – I was only on them for a couple of months anyway), so I was hoping my digestion would have improved a bit by now.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get things moving along better? I’m not sure what is worse the burps/pressure from carbs or the reflux from protein?

Thanks

JI
    Participant

Hi dfurny! I would try using digestive enzymes. They help your body break down food. Acid Ease has been recommended by a forum member because it does not contain protease, which can irritate the stomach. It contains herbs that calm the stomach.I don’t personally have a suggestion for which type is best. Betaine HCL and pepsin are probably not a good idea while you have a sensitive gut. Can anyone else recommend digestive enzymes that are gentle on the digestive system?

Kelly
    Participant

Hi dfumy, it sounds like you’re having trouble digesting protein. Betaine helps with that, but I have a similar problem with it causing heartburn.

I agree that digestive enzymes would probably help, but if protein is the problem you’d need one that contains protease. I use Enzymedica Digest Basic and that has worked well for me. This link has a detailed explanation of enzymes; scroll down for the part about digestion. http://dcnutrition.com/MISCELLANEOUS/DETAIL.CFM?
    RECORDNUMBER=144

For healing a sensitive gut you might also add DGL, glutamine, and/or zinc.

cmcuk
    Participant

I agree with the digestive enzymes.
    I have also just added triphala to my regime and this does seem to help shift things along.
    There is also some evidence saying ginger speeds up gastric emptying – a small cup of ginger tea after your meal?(just slice some root ginger and pop in a mug with hot water).
    good luck with it alll interesetd to hear how you get on.
    C

cmcuk
    Participant

ps you could also try bitters (i use swedish) which are supposed ot stimulate the body’s own enzymes.

dfurny
    Participant

Thanks all I will give those digestive enzymes a go. In the meantime I will try the ginger tea. I will post again soon with an update.

Kelly
    Participant

You could also put ginger in your food, instead of having it separately in tea. I’ve read that it naturally regulates stomach acid, and it’s often recommended for digestive problems. Unfortunately when I tried it, it had the same effect as the Betaine. I hope it works better for you.

Looks like the link above didn’t work right. Trying again…
    http://dcnutrition.com/MISCELLANEOUS/
    DETAIL.CFM?RECORDNUMBER=144

dfurny
    Participant

Hi.

I have been and picked up some digestive enzymes today from my local health food shop. The product seems to have a good range of enzymes for all food types but it also has Inulin which upon googling when I got home is some sort of fibre/carb/sugar. Before I start taking them could anybody advise if it might cause problems?

Thanks

cmcuk
    Participant

inulin is a fructans, functions as a dieray fibre and is not good for FTD. However it does depend on the amount, as in supplement amounts it will be do-able if you count it towards your FPs. Does it tell you how much by weight? can you work out the Fp (counting it as fibre)? I do something similar with a large bottle of DGL which has xylitol in it – I use it along with another DGL which uses glucose only and just cound it towards my FP.
    Hope that helps

dfurny
    Participant

Hi cmcuk. The bottle says 2500mg so 2.5g each tablet. There is no other fibre or sugar etc so I assume it should be OK looking at the FP calculator?

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi dfurny – best tip Norm has given is make sure to chew food until almost liquid to make use of enzymes in saliva. This adds quite a bit if time to meals, but well worth it (45 min. per meal), and wait to end of meal to drink so not using drink to liquify food.

Besides that, FTD and enzymes (Acid Ease- starches are my issue), other things that have helped me are DGL (Natural Factor brand uses only dextrose)/Gastazyme (Standard Process)/marshmallow root (these three at beginning to heal atomach, done with them now), probiotics (make sure delayed release/enteric coated), kefir, fermented foods, and once stomach healed, Bet. HCL. (Zypan by Standard Process).

Blood testing showed I was low in Vit. D & zinc (low levels can contribute to stomach issues), and supplements of those have helped (doctor monitored).

I also take magnesium citrate to keep things moving (300 mg. tablet at night).

Hope that helps! Everyone’s gut flora is different, and it takes a while of trial & error to figure it out. Hang in there, everyone on this forum is pulling for you 🙂

Jaeme
    Participant

P.S. – Lots & lots of greens! I eat a mesclun mix at every meal, including in omlet or scrambled eggs (Haven’t tried in breakfast smoothie yet). Greens are healing to stomach and add cellulose (FTD friendly) and enzymes.

dfurny
    Participant

Hi Jaeme, thanks for the kind words.

I am glad to have found this great forum and Norm’s great work. I have been floundering for months online with all the conflicting advice and no help from my doctor. I know now what I need to do and have a plan to fix myself. It has been a long time but I am slowly improving.

I have been taking magnesium for a couple of weeks which has helped a lot. I am trying to get as much sun as possible so hopefully my vitamin d is improving but I haven’t done anything with zinc, thanks for the info.

I have been trying to eat plenty of greens but I think I need to work on the chewing a bit more.

Thanks again, it’s good to hear you are improving, I look forward to posting back again soon with news of improvements too.

cmcuk
    Participant

sorry not to have got back abotu the inulin. I think it would be 2.5 FP as each gram of fibre counts. A bit confused as in some places they talk abotu it as fibre adb others as a carb. My inclination is always ot be conservative and go fo rthe whole 2.5 fp but this may then mean you feel this supplement is limiting what else you can eat during the day. its always a balancing act, I guess.
    How is the ginger going? I find it very helpful and managed ot find some frozen chopped ginger which I use for tea – but it is 10% carbs, so you also have ot watch this!
    Cmc

Jaeme
    Participant

Glad you found this forum dfurny! Like most of here, we found Norm’s great work after total frustration with the current mainstream medical route. I actually got much worse when ENT doctor put me on the “gold standard” for LPR – the Dropping Acid diet & Zantac (exact opposite of Norm’s research). Once I found this site & started following the FTD, I started improving in just a few days. It all made total sense.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.