Skip to main content

Food Intolerance and SIBO

//Food Intolerance and SIBO
Food Intolerance and SIBO2014-05-20T12:02:21+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Food Intolerance and SIBO

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,
    I just received my test results for my food intolerance test.

I have a cows milk and gluten intolerance. Would this of caused SIBO and GERD in the first place?

I’ve eaten these foods all my life!

I’d like to know you’re experience with this and is it worth me staying on a low FP diet? (I’m still waiting for my SIBO results by the way). Obviously if I am SIBO positive I’ll stay on the FT Diet.

JI
    Participant

Hi Jason, I think a low FP diet is important to get rid of SIBO as the bacteria likes to feed on sugar and carbs. A coworker of mine told me that she had digestive issues for years until she went gluten-free. She has not been tested for Celiac disease as the diet itself has eradicated her symptoms. I have heard a few people with GERD say that going gluten free alleviated symptoms. Some people with lactose intolerance can handle dairy if they take an OTC product like Lactaid, but it’s not a guarantee. I wonder if you can handle goat’s milk and cheese.

In my case, I had a very bad case of SIBO which I believe was caused by being on Nexium. With no stomach acid, the body cannot fight off infections as well. I took a ten day course of Rifaximin antibiotic followed by the FT diet, and weaned myself off Nexium. I think it’s important to take a good probiotic following antibiotic treatment to re-balance your gut flora. Months later, I tested negative for SIBO.

jasonking92
    Participant

Thanks, I’ll be on a gluten free and dairy free diet from now on. It basically puts me on a low FP diet anyway. Hopefully it was the main cause of GERD.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Gluten-free dieting is critical for people with celiac disease, and many have questioned if other non-celiac’s have gluten intolerance. A recent paper suggested this is not the case, but I don’t think they proved the point and support gluten free if someone suspects they may have gluten intolerance. But gluten-free diets are NOT low FP as there are many difficult-to-digest carbs allowed. For instance, corn-based foods, sugar (sucrose is one half fructose) and other high FP grains (wheat, rye and barley are the only grains restricted). This may be the reason a full 30% of celiacs don’t recover on a gluten-free diet. It’s considered a medical mystery, but I think this group would be greatly served by adopting a low FP gluten-free diet.

Jaeme
    Participant

JI- now that you are free of SIBO, can you eat other things?

JI
    Participant

Jaeme, I can eat many foods although I am careful not to overeat grains, especially wheat. My condition is unusual as I do not have acid reflux, but nonacid reflux. My doctor said I could eat whatever I want, but I do stay away from certain things. I have never done well with spicy hot foods or very acidic foods like tomatoes so I avoid them. I think the FT diet is a good way to eat for many digestive issues.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks JI- not exactly sure what I have except for LPR. No symptoms of heartburn or IBS. But the LPR started after heavy duty Cipro for bad bronchitis after H1N1 flu a few years ago, so I suspect SIBO (diet was whole foods with lots of whole grains). Now to get a doctor to test for it, or Candida, etc.

BTW- Remeron helping a lot with sleep, weight gain, and even LPR symptoms (I suspect from antihistamine effect).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.