Skip to main content

FODMAP and Low FP 'discrepancies'?

//FODMAP and Low FP 'discrepancies'?
FODMAP and Low FP 'discrepancies'?2015-03-05T17:09:10+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A FODMAP and Low FP 'discrepancies'?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello! I have just finished reading Fast Tract Digestion: IBS…went through it in a day, and was really engaged! As a holistic health practitioner and someone who has developed fructose malabsorption in the last 6 months, this was really a fascinating read.

When I got to the recipes, and subsequently Appendix C, I was really surprised to see many of the ingredients that I have read (and experienced) to be AVOID AT ALL COSTS! Namely, garlic, onions, cabbage, etc… All of these are showing low FP and are included in the recipes, however, they cause a lot of bloating and gas pretty rapidly if I eat them. They were the skull and crossbones of almost every FODMAP list I have searched out.

Any insight on why they seem to be included in the Fast Tract diet?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Raen,
    Thanks for reading. Yes, there are differences between the two approaches. It’s very hard to find published data on the exact amount of FODMAPs in reported “high FODMAP foods”. I only find lists of foods “high in FODMAPs”. If I had the exact amounts of FODMAPs in each food, I could look at adjusting the FP for those foods if required. But you would still need to consider that FODMAPs are reportedly reflected in the dietary fiber measurement by US carbohydrate test methods and therefore should be included in the final FP. Recall fiber is added directly in calculating FP.

At any rate, it won’t make that much difference in foods that contain relatively small amounts of total carbohydrate. Foods that have few carbs including onions, garlic, broccoli, cabbage, asparagus, mushrooms, avocado and sprouts will have relatively low FPs regardless of the exact amount of FODMAPs. Therefore, these foods should not be big drivers of symptoms when consumed in moderation – for instance adding some diced onion or a couple garlic cloves to your stir fry. Of course, if you find that any of these foods cause you problems, I support you in avoiding them.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.