Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

to anyone who makes kefir or kombucha – I wanted to ask you if you use sugar or glucose for your kefir. Have just started making kefir and am feeling I should be conservative and assume that the FP relates to the sugar put in (am using white sugar). For Kombucha, which I am also making (with white sugar) this can lead to high FP’s. Do not want to lose too many of my daily FP’s to these so interested if glucose/dextrose works.
    reall interested ot hear about others experience of this and wanting to move on to sauerkraut – so any advice on any of these foods very much appreciated….

Kelly
    Participant

I’ve made sauerkraut, and you don’t need to add any sugar to that. (I didn’t think kefir needed it either, because of the lactose in the milk.) All you do for sauerkraut is shred the cabbage, stuff it in a mason jar layered with salt, and fill with filtered water. Put something on top to press it down in the water, and leave it on the kitchen counter until it tastes the way you like it. I leave it about a week. The amount of salt affects the fermentation speed, but I don’t measure, just play it by ear.

danb1
    Participant

As kelly says Kefir ans Saurkraut don’t need sugar adding. Glucose in Kombucha is a good idea. Worth a go. But I believe all the sugar gets fermented by the culture, so it might not be an issue. drink it when it gets a slight fizzyness, then u know the sugar has fermented. I asked norm a while ago here and he thought it was ok to consume FP wise. It didnt agree with me for some reason, gave me heartburn immediately… although I liked the taste.

hazymandolin
    Participant

Water kefir uses sugar to feed the grains (as opposed to milk kefir which uses the milk sugar – lactose – to feed the grains).

I have made water kefir with dextrose in order to limit the fructose content but it wasn’t successful (I think you need much larger quantities & even then, it’s a poor substitute to sugar). Using sugar I left mine to ferment until it was bordering on sour in order to avoid ingesting any fructose but I still had tremendous bloating issues. I also have the same issues when consuming saurkraut (made as recommended above). I have concluded that my system is reacting to certain types of bacteria. I find that I can tolerate Lactobacillus Acidophilus fine but the bifidobacterium species affect me. Since I cannot control the bacteria species growing in kefir, kombucha or saurkraut, so I no longer consume them (a real shame).

I now make homemade yogurt with a culture that excludes bifidobacterium and I take a L. Acidophilus supplement.

We are all different!

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi cmcuk & all- (from your question on another thread that you moved here), as everyone above stated, no need to add sugar to kefir, kimchi, sauerkraut (kombucha & water kefir, yes). I do prefer lacto-fermented kraut/kimchi/veggies, which uses whey and much less salt. The sugars are converted by the lactobacillus bacteria to ferment the food and turned into lactic acid, hence the “sour” flavor and the preservative effect.

cmcuk
    Participant

thanks for all these. Am quite excited by what people have written.

The kombucha after its second ferment is quite acid (tastes very like vinegar – might actually provoke heartburn in some people?

I need to try sauerkraut and am feeling inspired now!

thanks again

AndreaS
    Participant

@danb1: If you get heartburn within minutes after drinking or eating it is AFAIK very likely not related to its FP, definitely not in the sense of FTD.

wontstopeating
    Participant

With water kefir, I think I read that the cultures consume the glucose faster than the fructose when breaking down the cane sugar, which leaves some fructose by the time it’s ready to consume. The longer you let it sit, the more cane sugar is consumed by the culture, but if you let it sit too long you risk having the culture die and the drink becomes kind of unpalatable. Also, it can become mildly alcoholic depending on how quickly it ferments (which depends on the amount of cultures present and the amount of sugar added at one time).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.