Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD Fats causing Heartburn

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Pompador I have enjoyed some interesting posts from you. My history is similar to yours although I don’t have much heartburn-more IBS and I had IC for 2 years (be very careful with this because it can return!!). My experience with the gallbladder and stomach acids, etc.. is to find a good functional medicine doctor or in my case I found a holistic Chinese Medicine doctor that uses an east/west approach to treat IC. Holistic docs can help with gallbladder and other issues that are not corrected from diet alone. OFten it is years it takes the body to get into a sluggish state and a holistic approach is needed!

Pompadur
    Participant

Thank you bearsmom ! Yes, i am working with homeopathic physician for a few years now. But it seems that he is perplexed with me and a little bored with all my never ending conditions 🙂 Also i tryed to collaborate with “normal” gastroenterologist but he doesn’t support the idea of low FP (or paleo) diets and suggests only PPI’s wich makes me desperate. As this was not the first my gastro-doc i just don’t know where to find another one.

For now i use FP diet and use some principles of the book “Save Your Gallbladder and what to do if you’ve already lost it” by Sandra Cabot and Margaret Jasinska (i find this book very usefull for those with gallbladder issues).
    In principle i can say that FP-diet and this book complement each other very well! Also i take clay before nighttime in a hope that it absorbs bad bacteria and excessive bile.

Can’t say much about improvement – but at least i can finally sleep at night!

alleynyc
    Participant

Really happy to come across this thread today because I cannot digest the bone broth either. Looking around the internet it seems to be treated as some kind of personal failing or ‘you aren’t doing it right’ if you can’t digest this stuff but I have tried and tried – schlepped out to the grass-fed butcher, etc. – made multiple batches – nope, can’t do it. Either beef or chicken. They TASTE great but it’s just instant heartburn for me. Not worth it. Adding even crazy amounts of enzymes has absolutely no impact on digestion of this stuff. Weird.

It’s so frustrating as this seems to be the number one ‘healing’ food that is pushed around. That and fermented stuff – which also gives me heartburn. I just can’t win with these ‘cures’.

Like some of you others in this thread, digestive enzymes either don’t work at all or make me feel worse. Adding HCl absolutely is a nightmare. The only thing that has maybe worked is digestive bitters. They certainly don’t make it worse. I’m trying DGL which tastes good but not sure does anything. I’m really at a loss.

My GI has looked me over and tested me greatly. I think technically I do not have GERD but rather Gastritis and duodenitis (inflammation in each). Other than that everything else looks good. Due to excessive bloating and cramping and a long standing skin rash, he put me on Xifaxin for 14 days. Rash improved greatly, bloating/cramping got bad and then vanished. That said, a week off to it and it’s all coming back so he put me on it again.

I tried Fast Tract but I think I am too far gone for it to work at this point. I can’t eat most foods included in the recipes. It’s tricky for me to eat much of anything other than meat, salt and lower starch veggies but I like the science behind the diet and am using it as I try to sort out my elimination diet. I’m very very hungry. At this point, I still have problems every time I eat – stomach burning and pain – After 2 months of eating protein and veg, I still have symptoms perpetually. There’s been no point for me to add food back and try stuff elimination wise because who knows if that’s causing the problem or if I’m just having a gastritis flare? It’s very frustrating. My doctor urges me to be patient but also really wants me to go on an H2 blocker to calm the inflammation but I worry because I don’t want to create more problems for myself. I was on acid blockers for years for GERD and it took me almost a year to get off. (I’ve been off for 3 months and still have symptoms despite my limited diet.)

I tried the Koufman Dropping Acid diet – wow, what a mistake. The first recipe used ginger which I never liked and I think that was my body telling me something – it made me sick as a dog. Actually GAVE me heartburn and then nausea and then diarrhea – missed a day of work for that thing. I suspect that diet only helps the LPR type of reflux but for my gastritis/regular reflux that recipe – at least – was a total disaster.

Feeling lost but FWIW nice to see other folks that can’t digest these things. I’ve been feeling very alone.

To be clear, having eliminated all foods other than animal protein and veg, I no longer have allergies, asthma and am 90% cured of the GERD that was practically unmanageable with medication for years. I’m really grateful about the allergies/asthma (I’m off those medications!) but bewildered that the other stuff is not clearing fully up as I’m vigilant. Perhaps I am just not being patient enough here. IBS is much better as well other than the mystery bloating that comes out of nowhere (although greatly depleted when I cut out the bone broth and higher fat meats). But the gastritis has dug in its heels. So frustrating it just won’t calm down.

49barefoot
    Participant

Alleynyc, it sounds like you’ve made great progress! It is so frustrating to be on the very limited diet — I am too.
    For the gastritis I find that the DGL really helps – sucking and slowly chewing 2 tablets about 20 min. befor eating (even tho’ the bottle says 1). Slippery Elm also helps with the stomach pain. Sometimes I’ll swallow 2 tablets with water. Also, Vitamin U helped me a lot.

Pompadur
    Participant

How are you going robray? For me unfortunately everything seems to be not so good. Now i am trying (again) to go very low carbs (unfer 25g) and low FP and i have a very severe flare up with bile reflux 🙁 Don’t know what to do and pretty scared.

49barefoot
    Participant

I’ve had some of the same issues, and have determined that I have a histamine intolerance. One of the many conditions it can cause is reflux. So I’m trying to balance the fasttrack diet with a low histamine diet.

Slow cooked meats, leftover meats, and bone broth are all high in histamine. I’ve switched to meat broth, cooked less than 2 hrs, and immediately freezing any leftover meats.

Pompadur
    Participant

Thank you 49barefoot for the idea.
    I took a look at the list of “forbidden” foods and at seems that i have not much to loose. I already don’t eat dairy, eggs or nightshades – because i started also Autoimmune protocol by Sara Ballantain… Now i will say good-bye to tea , fermented foods and cinnamon. I will miss only berries as they really help to add some coulor in my life.
    Also i take my lunch with me to office. So it is all “leftover” meat. I will have to change something with it.

There is also connection between SIBO and histamine intolerance, Chris Kresser writes at his blog:
    “Many integrative practitioners, including myself, believe that a primary cause of histamine intolerance is an overgrowth of certain types of bacteria that make histamine from undigested food, leading to a buildup of histamine in the gut and overwhelming the body’s ability to catabolize the excess histamine. ”

So the Fast Tract diet must help with this also with time. But initially maybe it is needed to awoid high histamine food.

It seems that Fast Tract must be helpful in any case and i just don;t understand why it doesn;t help me.
    Sorry to be pessimistic – but i didn;t sleep a few nights and my throat and mouth are burned with acid and bile 🙁 I just don;t know what else should i do.

pix
    Participant

I was starting to think I was the only one!

I make a lot of stock, because it saves money and because it tastes much better than store-bought when cooking. Every time we roast a chicken, we save the carcass and put it in the freezer, and eventually I’ll take a carcass or three and add some carrots, celery, onion, salt pepper and garlic, bring it to a boil and simmer it for 8 hours. The resulting broth tastes fantastic.

I noticed that once this winter, I drank a few mugs of this broth to stay warm, and while I greatly enjoyed it while I was drinking it, I felt awful when I tried to sleep. I thought it was a fluke and hardly remembered it until the same thing happened last night after making chicken broth and making some chicken soup out of that.

We ate dinner (chicken soup) around 8pm and went to bed at midnight. At 3:30 am, I woke up sweating, nauseous, in pain (cramps), breathing hard (breathing through the pain) and with my heart POUNDING. I was incredibly anxious as well. I propped myself up on my pillow to get a little more vertical, and then came the burping. I was burping for 45 minutes to an hour, at which point everything gradually subsided and I went back to sleep.

I still woke up a few times sweating and having nightmares. This is not common for me at all.

I googled all of my symptoms, and the only thing that came up was heart attack. Eventually I found this site.

I’m reading the responses here about histamine or SIBO… but I have to say, nothing else gives me this reaction. This is really a bone broth only problem from what I can tell, but at least I know I’m not alone here.

I think so far this has only happened with chicken stock. I also make beef stock (roasting the bones and using it for pho) and haven’t had this issue before, or at least not that I recall. Maybe I did and forgot? Either way, this is not a common occurance for me. Any ideas would be hugely welcome. This is really bugging me and I’m still feeling really off ~24 hours later.

Thank you!!!

49barefoot
    Participant

Pix, I’ve switched to the much shorter-cooked meat broth, and it’s made a big difference for me. To avoid the high histamine issue, cook the meat with bones for less than 2 hours. I then immediately freeze the meat in meal-sized portions, and it’s helped a lot!

Remember, histamine isn’t like an allergy, it’s more like a bucket. When the bucket is full, you experience symptoms. So if you had the beef stock before the chicken stock, the latter could be what pushed you over the edge.

robray
    Participant

49barefoot thanks for the info about histamine. I have stumbled over that on Kresser’s blog, but didn’t pay much attention to it. I am going to give a low histamine diet a try.

Just to update on my situation, I have spent the past 6 months taking herbal antibiotics. The ones I took were recommended by Dr. Siebecker (I had a skype consult with her) Allimed, Biotics Research Lab – Dysbiocide, FC Cidal and ADP. My condition has improved about 30% from when I started to kill the SIBO. I seem to be able to tolerate eating fats a lot better. I still have heartburn and usually diarrhea and it seems to be caused mainly by the bone broth and I now realize it is also slow cooked meat!

Today I did a little test because I forgot to pack my lunch for work, so I went to the local BBQ shop and bought a 1/2 lb of beef brisket. I ate it with my homemade coleslaw and within an hour the belching and heartburn started. I am still suffering now. I don’t know that much about the brisket cut of meat, but I imagined it is like the pork belly because of its location on the beef. I can usually tolerate pork belly in the form of bacon, but the big difference is the time I cook it. Could the slow cooking of the meats causing histamines be the key to all my misery?

After reading a little (http://paleoleap.com/histamines/) about the histamine intolerance and the foods that trigger it I am going to try eliminating those foods.

The saga continues. Sorry I didn’t respond for so long. I stopped getting email notifications of responses.

Pix, AlleyNYC, 49barefoot, pompadur, Norm and everyone else, I really appreciate the responses. Please update me and let me know how you are doing and if you have figured out how to beat this thing.

oldbloat
    Participant

I have had severe bloat for many yrs that I have attributed to candia overgrowth as I have other symptoms that seem to corroborate this thought. Never experienced heart burn until this yr. I too have been very disappointed that bone broth caused severe heartburn and stomach upset. I have narrowed it down to the gags in the broth that somehow trigger the bacteria in small intestines. I am quite certain of this because I have been taking glucosamine in capsule form for years with no heartburn. However if I open the capsule and consume the contents with food – instant heartburn. So if the glucosmine hits the small intestine, instant heartburn, but seems to have no painful effect in large intestine.

So why does glucosamine cause heartburn but sugar, for example does no. Sugar must feed the bacteria but somehow glucosamine must mess with it. Hope I’m not too late as the last post was in March.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.