Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Fast Tract Users Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Jaeme….R-e-m-e-r-o-n. No sense in suffering when there are options. Lack of sleep makes everything worse, including your LPR. Talk to your doctor ASAP. If you want to talk in person, friend me on Facebook and then we can exchange cell numbers via a private message.

budgiemom
    Participant

Jaeme…another option to consider if you are reluctant to take medication (although Remeron does have a reasonably good safety profile) is something called CBT-I (cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia). All medications, even more “natural” options like melatonin, have some degree of side effects, rebound insomnia when discontinued, etc. Most people don’t realize that sleep meds are intended only for short term use. CBT-I treats the causes of the sleep issues, not just the symptoms. However, it does take longer to “kick in” than meds, but if you use it effectively, the effects seen in randomized studies show that CBT-I produces lasting results. In essence, you learn skills needed to sleep, for example, managing the anticipatory anxiety that builds before you even get into bed, and therefore don’t have to take a pill forever. There’s lots of info on the web about CBT-I if you want to learn more. You can find a provider in your area by going to the website for the Society of Behavioral Sleep Medicine.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks a bunch MC- I am hoping doc will call in a Remeron script today.

What is your Facebook? Mine is Jaeme Kaye.

My problem is not falling asleep, but staying that way. Wake up after just a few hours and can’t go back. So awake from 1:00ish on.

mchurch314
    Participant

Jaeme….I sent you a FB message (I think). My FB name is Mark W. Church. And I have the same problem, I can fall asleep easily enough, it’s staying asleep all night that is the challenge.

LRHG
    Participant

Hello
    I’m now 3.5 weeks in and finding the diet is not helping with my burping or bloating. Is 3.5 weeks enough for a good trial for burping and bloating ?
    I do and always have highly suspected my overgrowth is high up and this trial may have confirmed it.

LRHG

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi All!

Its been a while since I’ve been on the forum, so I thought I would check in. Glad to say, its been 10 months on the FTD, and I am doing great! Finding Norm’s book & website changed my life. On top of virtually eliminating my LPR, getting rid of the whole grains, potatoes, beans & similar foods has given me more energy – no more afternoon slumps. It also virtually eliminated my rosacea, so I now think the undigested carbs were making it into the bloodstream to feed the agents causing the rosacea (and if I cheat, I get flare-ups). My weight is right where it should be, and stays that way without worrying about calories and no cravings. I have had no IBS either. A sign my digestion/nutrition is optimal = my fingernails are perfect and growing like crazy – never had nails like this in my life despite eating a whole-food, unprocessed diet for 15+ years prior. I worried about the lack of fiber from eliminating the whole grains, etc., but having lots of salads & veggies & water has kept me regular.

I still take a digestive enzyme with high amylase for digesting carbs, and a mild HCL/digestive supplement called Zypan, but have skipped them at some meals without issues and may wean off those too.

I do not count FP points anymore, just try to stay away from breads/grains/potatoes/beans and stick to meats, veggies, dairy (tolerate lactose fine), and some fruit. I can eat a piece of pizza, but don’t eat the outside crust. I can eat a wrap sandwich, but pull off as much of the wrap as I can, etc. I am living a mostly normal life now, able to eat out at restaurants and functions. Feeling good and looking good – so pleased with the FTD approach.

Thank you Norm, and everyone on the forum – you saved my life! To those who are trying the FTD – hang in there, it is SO worth it.

~ Jaeme K. 🙂

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Jaeme, Thanks for this great news on your progress. This is exactly how I hope people will benefit. For instance, you have identified what works for you. Lactose is not a problem for some people. Others’ tolerate more fructose. Finding out what works for you and setting up some basic guidelines is often enough. In most cases, as digestion improves and the problematic foods are identified, a more liberal diet will emerge that still controls the problem. Congratulations!

JI
    Participant

Yay, Jaeme! I am happy to hear you are doing so well!

Jaeme
    Participant

Thank you Norm, both for your good wishes and for sharing your ground-breaking research with the World! I have been giving people your advice – everyone’s system is unique, so get to a baseline diet like the FTD two-week plan and then try adding things back in until you figure out what works for you. For me, my problem turned out to be starches and grains. It may take a while for the damage to the digestive system to heal as well. People often ask if the FTD is a “cure” and can they go back to eating the way they used to. The mindset needs to be identifying & developing a lifestyle change that allows us to function optimally. Once I did that, I don’t feel deprived – I feel empowered and look forward to eating what makes me feel healthy & energized. And I can eat all of those “no-no” foods from the traditional Dropping Acid diet, so hurray for coffee, chocolate, spices, tomatoes & peppers, alcohol, etc. Focus on and enjoy the good things you can eat instead of those you can’t. 🙂

I have been spreading the word about the FTD (sort of an FTD Ambassador, ha ha). I will keep checking in – hang in there everyone!

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks JI! Advice and support from people like you on the forum gave me the strength and hope to succeed, so I owe you much appreciation. How are you doing?

ftder
    Participant

Nice to read everyone’s updates. For anyone reading, if you had bloating and burping (particularly bloating) how long before it subsided?? I have been on the diet for two days. The gas seems to have decreased a little? I have had bloating for 2 years and I am really looking forward to some improvment. Thanks

JI
    Participant

Jaeme, we’ve always been here to help each other out. You certainly have come to the aid of many on this forum. I am doing quite well, thank you!

Jaeme
    Participant

So glad you are doing well too, JI! I feel like forum members are friends (we’ve all been in this together), and its great to hear from you.

Bearsmom -I had reduced burping & gas within the week, and now hardly at all. Once you do the two-week plan and get to a baseline, you should discover what your trigger foods are as you start to add them back in. I can easily tell now when I have pushed the limits too far if I start to burp – its a surprise, almost forgot what that was like.

ftder
    Participant

Jaeme WOW I am so excited! That is amazing about the gas and burping.

I got off to a bad start on the diet,using creamy rice cereal and I don’t think it is right. I am going to follow the first two weeks very closely only including jasmine rice. I can’t WAIT to cut this gas, burping and BLOATING!!!! Did I ask if you experienced constipation? I am having one BM per day, but only because taking magnesium.

ftder
    Participant

Ok!! Now that I have taken out confusing supplements, I can say I have been on the diet for 1 week. My gas has reduced by 75% and my BLOATING IS reduced by 95%!!! I feel and look normal in my clothes instead of 4 months pregnant!!! This has a huge effect on my self confidence. My skin was VERY oily, and this has decreased by 75%!!

My stools no longer have UNDIGESTED FOOD in them! Because of the reduction in specific types of fiber, my stools have changed in size. They resemble the number 4 and 5 on the Bristol Stool Chart:

http://www.continence.org.au/pages/bristol-stool-chart.html

I find this chart helpful, because with a lifetime of excessive fiber consumption under my belt, I never really new what a normal stool looked like. I notice I have to pay more carefull attention to the times I need to eliminate. When stools are smaller, it is hard for many to know when to go to the bathroom, because after a lifetime of large stools that overstretch the colon. This is discussed at length at gutsense.org.
    So I am taking a probiotic, and drinking lots of water, taking 300mg of magnesium and seem to be eliminating reasonably well! Hoping soon to get a reductionin burping and ocular rosacea and skin improvements!! I think burping has decreased some, but I am so pleased so far!!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.