Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Fast Tract Users Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Participant

P.S. – and probiotics too.

JI
    Participant

Although my GI doctor and general practitioner don’t usually go for OTC supplements, they do agree that probiotics are a good thing. They also seem to be okay with me taking digestive enzymes.

Jaeme
    Participant

I am not big on supplements usually, and I scrutinized/researched these quite a bit before taking (and I feel comfortable with these). Ironically, I got off of Prilosec about 10 years ago successfully by taking enzymes and slippery elm. Then I quit taking both of those about 3 years ago, and guess where I am at now?

JI
    Participant

It is hard for me because I do not always agree with the medical experts. I prefer a more natural approach rather than relying on prescription medication.

Jaeme
    Participant

I agree JI – that’s what led me here. I did not want to be on prescription medications that merely covered up symptoms or even made thing worse (like PPI’s, H2 blockers, etc.). The FT diet, the enzymes, DGL, etc. are working at healing the problem. 🙂

jasonking92
    Participant

Hi, I’m new to this.
    I have been following a low FP diet. My bloating has gone down and less pressure on my stomach. However I do have a “Lax LES” as the endoscopy showed me.

I still get burping of stomach acid and sore throats. Will the low FP diet eventually fix this or am I always going to have this due to my Lax LES?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Jason,
    Good you have experienced some improvement. Stick with it. Throat/LPR types symptoms are somewhat more subtle and take longer (up to a month or two even) to resolve. Keep your FP levels as low as possible for a couple of weeks.

JI
    Participant

I am so happy that I tested negative for SIBO today. Eight months ago, I had a bad case. I am also delighted that the doctor who is having me get a Manometry and Ph test for GERD took me off of Prevacid. She wants to find out if my problem is due to GERD. Another doctor recently put me on the PPI to see if it would alleviate my acidic throat issues. It did nothing. I am going to ask for an H pylori test next because it is quite prevalent (over 50%) in people over the age of 50. If I test positive, the nurse said I should also get my husband and dog tested as they could be carriers. I never knew that, but it can be transmitted by saliva. We all know how dogs can slobber all over your face!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Congratulations JI. That is fantastic news. Made my day too.

Jaeme
    Participant

Congrats JI! Thanks for the info about the saliva “carriers” – never heard that before.

JI
    Participant

On Wednesday, I will get the results of my Esophageal Manometry, EGD, and 24-hour Ph monitoring. I’m scared, but ready to get to the truth about whether I truly have GERD. All I know is that when I woke up on a groggy fog from the EGD, the doctor said that everything looked fine. She also took a sample to check for H-pylori. She gives me hope.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good luck Jl!

mchurch314
    Participant

God luck JI!! Been through al of those test and all they can tell me is that I have an over-sensitized GI and GERD. There is no evidence of a weak LES so don’t know how they could say that I have GERD. Oh wait a minute, I have GERD because the PPI’s that I have been on for the last 8 years of enabled the “bad” bacteria to flourish in my gut which causes excessive gasses which in turn forces gas and acid through my healthy LES into my throat. My St. Louis doctor told me to continue to Nexium. My Texas doctor said to get off of it. Norm’s theory makes total sense and is more closely aligned with my Texas doctor. I’m going with their approach. About 2 months ago I reduced my Nexium from 2 a day to 1 a day. Seven days ago I started taking an OTC Prilosec every other day in place of that days Nexium. At the end of this week I will go to an every day OTC Prilosec and drop the Nexium altogether. Then after 2 weeks will go to OTC Prilosec every other day for two weeks and then drop the PPI’s completely. I am using Carafate to help minimize any acid trauma to my GI while my body relearns how to regulate its acid production. I have also been diligent in drinking daily Kefir milk while minimizing sugars (FP diet). Am I symptom free, no. Do I feel as bad as I thought that I would at this point, no. Am I out of the woods, no. Am I optimistic, YES!! Again, good luck to you but my point in telling you all of this is that no matter what your test say, doctors are just guessing a lot of the time. You’ve go tot take charge of your own health, be your own advocate and ultimately, do what “you” feel is best for you.

JI
    Participant

Thank you for the well wishes, Norm and MChurch! I really hope that this doctor gets it right about what to do. She does not believe in me going on PPI’s because she knows that several have not worked for me. I went off the Prevacid that another doctor put me on for throat soreness before I had the tests. Guess what, no difference between being on or off the medication. The symptoms are the same. Do you feel that the Carafate gives you relief, MChurch? I have never been on that medication.

Jaeme
    Participant

Best wishes to both of you, MC & JI! Still pullin’ for ya!

I am glad to announce that I am doing rather well. Very little LPR, and I have been a bit looser with my FP points while I try to get my carb count up.

I am only on the supplements that my Nutritionist recommended, and drinking kefir (mixed with some carton coconut milk and a little cream – very yummy!) and I now added home-made lacto-fermented kimchi. I think this has helped tremendously, and when I eat it I have the sensation that my body really needs this (like wanting to ravenously eat it, but not because of the flavor, does that make sense? – I get a similar feeling with the kefir – both feel healing).

My main problem at this point is waking up in the middle of the night after only about 3 hours sleep and then not getting back to sleep, even though I am taking Magnesium citrate (I fall asleep quite well). I have been reading tha a diet high in glutimates can cause this, and the FT diet is very high in glutimates (meats & cheeses). Any one else having this problem?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.