Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Fast Tract Users Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Jaeme, yes, it all makes sense and sounds all to familiar. Have you tried DGL Licorice (4x day) to coat your throat? A prescription med that seems pretty benign is Carafate (Suspencion) It coats the stomach and esophagus. I use it and it seems to work with zero side effects (that we know of). I know we hate drugs but it can help as you healing using Norm’s diet.

Jaeme
    Participant

MC – I do use DGL chewable tablets, and the instructions are to chew one 20 min. prior to a meal up to 3 a day. Someone else here posted about using a DGL powder – is this what you use to coat the throat? I had not heard of Carafate – I will see if one of my Doctors will be willing to write an Rx for it. Thanks!

Anonymous

There is a vital nutrients DGL powder that you drink mixed in water 300 mg, it has nothing else added to it. It’s listed on amazon. It says to drink mixed with water after meals and at bedtime. There are some good reviews.

mchurch314
    Participant

19…have you used DG powder? Ive only used the DGL licorice chewables. I use them as Jaeme said, about 20 minutes before a meal but I take two at a time. Cant tell for sure how well they work but I use them, along with many other thing (Carafate) so I can’t tell for sure what is working but I do know that I’m getting better. And while I’m not strictly on the Fast Track diet I have significantly reduced by sugar and carb fiber intake.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi All,

It has been a rough ride – while my LPR was almost totally cleared up, I did not eat enough carbs and went into Ketosis (why I keep losing so much weight). I was already eating a high good-fat, lower-carb diet before I started the FT diet, and I had a high metabolism – so I never even noticed I had switched over to ketosis (most people have trouble with the transition, apparently I did not).

I have been seeing an awesome Nutritionist MS/RN who is very familiar with ketosis, ketogenic diets, paleo-diets, etc. She herself is on a paleo-type diet with only 60 carbs per day, due to her life-long struggle with sinus issues. She started her practice in nutrition when her own child was in very poor health and traditional medicine did nothing for him. By changing diet due to her own research, the boy improved.

She has been an angel trying to help me out of ketosis – some people transition easy, others do not (but usually only if the ketosis is long term, short term is supposed to be easy). I have been in ketosis only about a month and a half.

Well, it has not been easy. I am having issues with glucose sensitivity, and all of the carbs on the FT diet of course are quick-release carbs. I have been adding about 20 carbs a day for a week and a half, and am at about 60 carbs a day now. Since everyone is different, I may have to go to 75 carbs or more to break out of ketosis. I am having tingling, numbness, dizziness, etc. in my head, arms and hands that all resemble diabetic issues (and I was never diabetic or even a candidate for such prior). It seems I have a good day, and then a bad day. But I am starting to get hungry, which is a good sign.

So I am hoping that slowly my glycogen stores are getting replenished in my liver so I can get out of ketosis and start putting some weight back on. I am on enzymes and a few other things to help heal my digestive tract. Will keep you posted. Its a shame, as the LPR is almost completely gone.

JI
    Participant

Jaeme–I am wishing the best for you. You have a very good guide in your nutritionist. I’d say it is hard, but clearing up complex digestive issues can be a very long road. In the meantime, I guess you need to be thankful for the good days. I hope that the good ones keep increasing as the bad ones diminish.

mchurch314
    Participant

Hi Jaeme….it’s been awhile since I’ve made any post. Do sorry to hear that you are having Ketosis problems. You ay remember that I too had this problem when I tried to follow my GI doctors dietary advise (ie. no fats, etc.) while simultaneously trying to follow the FP diet. I couldn’t get enough calories and ended up losing 26 pounds (180lbs of weight lifter muscle to 156lbs of sinew). I was forced to abort the FP diet until my Gastritis healed and have again resumed my march to the 100% FP diet. I’me now back at 173 pounds and have a vigorous appetite (2 months ago I got sicker just thinking about eating). Stay strong mentally and your body will respond and get through this. JI is right, when the GI gets out of whack it takes a long while to get it straightened out again. I suspect that it took a long time to get it out of whack since we tend no to notice until the damage is done so it comes as no surprise that it takes awhile for it to repair. Keep us posted on your progress and I hope your march towards health is short and, once there, long-lasting.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks everyone- the support here is the best help.

JI
    Participant

I am glad to hear you are doing so well, MChurch! I have had a setback with some throat inflammation and burning. Six months off of PPI’s, and I was put back on Prevacid for 2 weeks. I plan on weaning off slowly once everything clears up. I hope you are having a good day. You too, Jaime, and all of my FT forum comrades.

JI
    Participant

I mean Jaeme, not Jaime.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks JI- no problems with the name (I answer to either). I like your term “comrade” – we really have become such on here! Some good/bad news- I think I finally broke out of ketosis today (hurray!), but creeping up the FP points and some of the LPR is back. Seems I will be walking a fine line…

mchurch314
    Participant

Jaeme, try the Carafate (prescription only) to control the LPR util you can get back to controlling the FP’s.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks MC! I have an ENT follow-up appointment tomorrow, maybe he can write a script for it.

The LPR I am having is the post-nasal drip, sinus congestion, and clogged throat (no soreness, unless I start coughing again). It comes and goes, and is not severe- seems to be FP related. Have only had it the past three days- was worst about two hours after I tried adding a small amount of russet potato (half the amount listed in the FP chart), but it really set me off.

mchurch314
    Participant

Jaeme…I’m know you must have checked in to this but are you sure that you are not dealing with some sort of food allergy. I’m pretty sure that H2 Blockers, in addition to acid inhibitors, or also antihistamines. Maybe that is why you respond to them when you use them. Just a thought….good luck at your ENT appointment. BTW…the Carafate (suspension) coats your throat and stomach and prevents acid irritation so not sure if it would help unless you are having discomfort.

Jaeme
    Participant

I was hoping this was a gluten allergy (that sounds strange, but it would be easier), but I have not added back in any gluten. It really seems to be the fermentation issue- more burping, etc. and then the LPR symptoms. I am not on any PPI’s/H2 blockers, etc. The enzymes are helping (I am taking Multi-Digestive Enzymes by Original Medicine = contains multiple enzymes for protein, carbohydrate, fat, dairy, as well as ginger root & tumeric). Also the Gastrazyme is for healing the digestive tract, Drenamin for adrenal support, Marshmallow Root & Slippery Elm, and Magnesium Citrate Tablets. I was also very low in Vitamin D, so taking that as an emulsion too. I do seem to be feeling better overall as I am getting the carbs up, a little less frail and gaining some strength.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.