Skip to main content

Fast Tract Users Updates

//Fast Tract Users Updates
Fast Tract Users Updates2014-03-09T16:23:30+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Fast Tract Users Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Here is a place for Fast Tract Users to share experiences, successes, set-backs, etc.

MC- How are you doing, how far into the FT diet are you? Glad to say I am still doing well! I did have one bad day last week, but I was at a conference and had to “make do” with what was served for lunch (such as digging just veggies out of the pasta alfredo, eating glazed carrots, and a tossed salad of unknown dressing).

I have noticed an increase in gas and burping this past week (was non-existent the first week and half of diet), but Norm did write elsewhere on this site that the gut bacteria that used to feed on the carbs can switch over to proteins, but not usually fats. So I have backed off a bit on the protein and upped the amount of fats, and it has seemed to help.

I have added a bit of the white bread, and that has seemed to work out okay, so probably not a gluten intolerance (although still avoiding as much gluten as possible just in case). BTW – the gas & burping increase above was before the white bread, so that is not the cause.

All in all, I am so much improved! I hope you will find the same relief. Now comes the challenge of making up my own recipes with the FP numbers. I will stay with 40 or below for a while.

mchurch314
    Participant

Hey Jaeme…thanks for the re-direct. Glad to hear that you are still doing well (and that you seem to be tolerating the Glutens). Eating on the run or during work functions can be a challenge. I just went through four days of those challenges and am glad to be back to home cooking!! To update you on me, I met with my GI doctor and ENT doctor last week. The GI doc said that he believed that I have an over-sensitive GI brought on by the oral surgeries and resulting medication (ie. antibiotics and pain meds). My ENT did a nasal scope which showed no LPR and then he had me do a barium swallow which showed a normal LES but some esophageal dyplesia. Th GI doc told me to keep alcohol to a minimum (2 drinks a week max) and to stop one Nexium but to maintain the original Nexium indefinitely since I do have evidence of excess acid (other than the Gastritis I don’t know how he can be so sure of this). My plan is to ignore his recommendation and try to get off the original Nexium after I have successfully withdrawn from the second Nexium. This pushes things back a bit but I’d rather go slow that to have it go badly (keep in miind that my GI in Texas wants me to drop both Nexium all at once at the end of this month). He also tried to tell me to drop all of my homeopathic stuff (ie. digestive enzymes, DGL Licorice and Milk Thistle) saying that it is a waste of money. Everyone has opinions and they vary greatly. I just have to do what I feel is right.

Jaeme
    Participant

Glad you found this thread MC, and glad to hear things are moving along for you. It really is crazy how many different conflicting “recommendations” are out there in the medical world. You are correct, you have to go with what feels right/works for you. Check out this link to an article about research that supports Norm’s work:
    http://www.alternet.org/personal-health/surprising-reason-americans-might-be-obese-anxious-and-depressed?akid=11587.156948.SGW8A8&rd=1&src=newsletter969030&t=2&paging=off&current_page=1#bookmark

A quote from the Red Green Show (a PBS comedy), “I’m pulling for ya, were all in this together.” Chat here with you again soon!

mchurch314
    Participant

Hey Jaeme…I’ve read that article before, it’s a real eye opener. Who knew that your gut could wreak so much havoc in your body. There’s an old joke about many of the body parts (ie. heart, lung, brains, etc.) proclaiming that they were the most important organ only to have the “rear-end” make the same proclamation. The other body part laughed at this notion so the “rear-end” just shut down and would not allow anything to pass. The other organs quickly found out which was the most important organ, they all acquiesced and proclaimed the “rear-end” the most important organ!! lol Anyway, thanks again for the redirect and look forward to seeing you here again. BTW…pulling for you too!!

Jaeme
    Participant

The “rear end” indeed – very funny! I guess that’s why we are all here on this site 🙂

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Sounds like you’re going in the right direction MC. Trust your own instincts for sure.

mchurch314
    Participant

Thanks Norm…we all have to take charge of our own health and well-being. As you alluded to in another post, doctors are just practicing and only have some of the answers. The information that they provide is only part of your own personal equation. You need to gather you own information (which also includes the doctors advice), pay attention to your body and then use some trail and error to figure out the rest.

JI
    Participant

I have been doing pretty well. I feel like my stomach issues from SIBO have died down a lot. It feels like acid fumes are getting into my throat, some soreness. I do not feel like I get heartburn anymore.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good advice MC.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good progress JI.

Anonymous

JL, could you explain to me about acid fumes? Can you feel them or smell them?How do you know when you have them? Other than burping I don’t know when this is happening? My family Dr who doesn’t know about LPR says it probably happens when I’m sleeping.

JI
    Participant

I am calling it acid fumes because I do not regurgitate any food or liquid into my throat. I figure it is just acid gas rising up from the esophagus. I feel soreness in my throat and a little hoarseness at times along with small burps.

Jaeme
    Participant

19 – I was told it happens anytime, as it is fumes. Definitely while burping, but all day long and yes even sleeping too. Usually no smell or taste (your olfactory/taste receptors may be accustomed to it). You may not feel anything at all you would think of acid. In my case it just caused all of the heavy mucus in the throat/sinuses & post-nasal drip and eventually general inflammation in the larynx/pharynx and neck & throat area (but not a traditional sore interior throat, no heartburn). So general doctors just thought I had allergies/sinus problems for several years.

mchurch314
    Participant

Hey Jaeme/JI…just last week my doctor ENT said that he saw no evidence of LPR (and of course I was feeling pretty well at the time I saw him) but I do have periodic times when I feel like I have inhaled something cold (or maybe acidic) that makes me cough or just makes my lungs and esophagus feel really cool. And this goes along with my frequent irritated lymph glands and the area around my larynx (voice box). This comes and goes in severity. The doctors keep telling me that they can’t see any issues such as acid splashing up into my esophagus (except for a very small irritation on the esophagus side of the LES). I’m sure that they think that I’m crazy because I keep complaining about these symptoms. Did a doctor actually recognize this as “acid fumes”? It would explain a lot. As you may remember, I have significant sinus drainage as well.

Jaeme
    Participant

Yes, acid fumes was the actual diagnosis as previous endoscopies only showed just a slight irritation in the same spot you mentioned above. The ENT says the fumes can come at any time, even during sleep. This is one reason why LPR is called “silent reflux” as the fumes do not give heartburn, or food refluxed into the mouth, etc. Tends to show up as sinus congestion, post-nasal drip, and eventually the throat mucus as this is the only thing the body has to try to protect the the sinus/larynx/pharynx against the acid fumes. This fits well with Norm’s theory about bacteria giving off gases vs. the stomach creating too much acid. This would also explain your feelings of coughing and lungs. Sadly, now that my post-nasal drip, sinus congestion and throat mucus has greatly lessened, I am getting a sore “interior” throat for the first time (probably due to the lack of protection from the mucus).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.