Skip to main content

Fast Tract Diet Mobile App – What do you want to see?

//Fast Tract Diet Mobile App – What do you want to see?
Fast Tract Diet Mobile App – What do you want to see?2015-12-10T11:43:18+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Fast Tract Diet Mobile App – What do you want to see?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

We are designing a mobile app for the Fast Tract Diet. The app will include FP food tables with NLT 500 different foods listed. These tables will include “common serving sizes”, i.e., physical measurements – less weighing. The app will also have an easy-to-use FP calculator, recipes, exercises, and a customizable, printable shopping list.

Most importantly, we want the app to meet user needs. Please tell us what you would like to see in this app.

Thanks,
    Norm

Update December 10, 2015. The Android version of FTD Mobile app is now available at the google play store for US $7.99. The iphone version is under review and should be available shortly.

49barefoot
    Participant

Are there any vegetables that are so low in fermentation potential that it’s safe to eat unlimited amounts? It would be great to have those in a separate section, if they exist.

ftder
    Participant

Norm would there be a way to enter foods with a calculated FP, and the FP would total as you entered each new food, maybe letting you know if you are going over a set amount of points for the day? Thanks!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Why didn’t I think of that Bearsmom. Great idea!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good idea 49barefoot. I count 31 veggies in the book tables that are FP 3 grams or less for approx serving size 3 ounce. I could highlight those. Also, since common serving sizes are used in the new app tables, the FPs are actually lower (since many common serving sizes are lower) for many foods so there will be more options with FP of 3 or less.

AndreaS
    Participant

My experiences, so far, are based on some of the existing apps, and on my own (digitally aided) daily habits:

Most importantly, please, plan for updates. There are too many outdated, incomplete and incorrect apps out there that nobody bothers to maintain. If you pay a programmer, make sure you agree on maintenance after the release, and that programming is done in a way so that another programmer could pick it up.

When searching for entries in the food tables the searching should allow fuzzy search terms (e.g. looking for “corn” should also show “popcorn”, looking for “carrots” or “carot” should also show “carrot”) and include alternative names (e.g. “rice wafer” and “rice cake” — there are probably better examples).

About common serving sizes: I understand that this does make it easier for some. I weigh most of the food I eat. So, I ended up recalculating each and every item from your book tables :] I think, serving sizes are helpful, but there should be values/gram, too.

Speaking of the tables: I found that I had to write my own due to the fact that where I live some values differ significantly, some items I had to add, some of the values in the (printed) book are wrong (later corrected by Norm), some didn’t match my own research.

I am keeping a daily diary of what I eat and drink, exercises, stress, 3 symptoms, sleep, calories, body weight, gram FP. (I wish I had also kept total carbs. Of course, an app could log these values automatically.)

I did consider to use apps for the diary (there are plenty of apps out there). Of course, almost no software includes GI values. However, there’s something more crucial that keeps me from using an app: If I keep a diary for weeks (or as in my case for years) I want to be able to export the data at least as a CSV file, so that I can use it in spreadsheets, and — maybe even more importantly — have backups.

If a diary feature is included, personally, I wish the app could also generate graphs. But that’s just for the wishlist 🙂

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Wow, great suggestions Andrea. Thanks. Your insights are really helpful. The app will have both common serving sizes (requested by many) but will maintain grams for each serving. Ounces will be going away. As for some errors in the first book, these have been corrected both in the ebooks and print books for both FTD IBS and Heartburn.

Maintenance and updating is a big issue for me as well and I will do my best to include a long term contract for maintenance. Good suggestion about coding that another programmer can understand and work on. Fuzzy search is also a great idea and I will look into this.

I appreciate you thoughts on the diet log as well. If possible, we will include tracking and exporting functionality. I hadn’t considered tracking carbs, calories or dairy (just FP), but I will give this some thought. Adding exercise, sleep, and stress level should be easy. And of course, foods/servings, FP, symptoms and meds/supplements will be included.

ftder
    Participant

Andrea or Norm,

I need to ask a dumb question and not sure where to post it. Andrea mentioned that you weigh everything? Others that have been doing the diet for a while say they don’t way anything anymore? I am still on the first two week plan and have some minor gas and burping left (bloating is WAY improved) so I plan to stick with the intro diet for two more weeks. The only thing I measure is my yogurt and blueberries in the morning and my rice at lunch, and I keep my nuts under 2 oz per day. I don’t eat any processed foods and everything else is fat and protien and 2 servings of veggies each with lunch and dinner. Am I missing something? I am wonderting what else I should be weighing? Maybe occasionaly I might eat too much protien?? Thanks for any thoughts!

sivert
    Participant

I would find it very useful if the app made it possible to make a user setting so that the tables could be shown for 100 g of product or switched to show “portion sizes” according to personal preference.

Personally, I find it cumbersome that values are calculated for portion sizes that are different size for different products – if they are given for the same weight, you can readily compare FP values without a calculator.

I know, you Americans are used to checking the fine print and recalculating, but the spoiled Europeans (myself included :o)) are used to having standardized/comparable declarations.

I would also love to see more ingredients listed in the tables – more useful for people outside the US and for those who cook from scratch instead of consuming industrial products.

Being able to use the app as a symptom/diet diary makes it much more useful. Maybe fields for liquid intake and exercise per day would make sense too?

AndreaS
    Participant

bearsmom — weighing is not a requirement. However, I think it might help some. Of course, if you are happy without weighing don’t start. It’s rather annoying 🙂 But if you see symptoms go up and down, or if you want to run tests (that’s what I do) weighing helps to analyze possible causes.
    With an app it would be incredibly helpful since the app can automatically calculate how much fat, fiber, carbs etc. one consumed. Given detailed tables it could even break carbs down to the various kinds of sugar, starch etc.

BTW, @Norm: The app could also be used for consultation. But I guess that’s anyway planned.

kidsslavelady
    Participant

Hi all. I would like to see the tables that are in the Fast Tract Heartburn book. There are about a dozen tables that show the FP of everything. They are divided i to categories. Right now, I have to keep opening my Kindle to look at the FP charts. On an app, itd be so very helpful. So happy to have found all of this and Dr. Rouillard. I have been suffering with such horrible gas and pain. This is all helping so much. I am forever thankful!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Got it K. The app is a bit of a project, but we are also considering making the printed tables set with basic diet info available on Amazon sooner.

Kelly
    Participant

If it’s not too late to make suggestions, here’s my wish list:

– ability to add info about foods that aren’t included in the table. Since we have such varied diets, and you can’t possibly include everything.

– ability to say how much of a food I want to eat and calculate FP (I often eat more than an official serving but not two servings)

– ability to enter foods & amounts for a meal/day and calculate FP. Otherwise you’d have to keep track separately.

– for people trying to gain (or lose) weight, it would be great to include what I call “carb ratio”: carbs divided by FP.

– option to use amounts in grams or ounces

cbarrett1231
    Participant

I am really looking forward to this app! I currently use myfitnesspal but obviously that does not total your FP counts. I think it would be great to include a barcode scanner just like myfitnesspal does. That way the nutritional information is automatically uploaded and super easy to use. Just a thought 🙂 day 2 of getting in the habit of the FTD here!

Lenka
    Participant

Hello,
    what a wonderful idea. If it is not too late… additions of some flagging feature like “favourite” to highlight you frequent ingredients/choices could worth considering.

I personally would also welcome more information on the “unsafe” food, so that you can then choice the best from the worst (if you cannot avoid otherwise) like dried fruits, or at least note such as: for all other dried fruits GI of the value ## is generally assumed, or note if any correction has to be done to generally published value like you have done with dates. Then anyone interested just looks up the carbohydrates content a calculate.

And also when you recommend gluten-free, milk-free diet I would appreciate more information on the alternatives ingredients (flours(Lupinus),diary substitutes (tiger nuts milk) )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.