Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Laryngopharyngeal Reflux – LPR Fast Tract Diet for LPR – not working?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi guys
    I have started the Fast Tract diet this week. I was pretty much eating this way anyway, I only had to make a few changes e.g. the type of rice I ate, change bananas for melon.

Everything is going OK except for breakfast times. I have switched my normal Oatmeal with Half fat milk which I have had for breakfast every day for the last 2 years! For Cornflakes & Lactose free milk as this has a lower FP rating. However I am now getting terrible flare up of my LPR symptoms from the Cornflakes and/or the Lactose free milk? I NEVER had a flare up from Oatmeal.
    Can anyone explain why this might be?

Thanks

ftder
    Participant

I personally would follow Norms guidelines for the first two weeks as closely as possible, and then add in things like milk and cornflakes. Things like omlettes and maybe a tiny amount of full fat unsweetened greek yogurt, bacon or chicken sausage, etc..for breafast with maybe avocado and veggies??

Lactose free milk is honestly just a weird food. If you suspect you are lactose intollerant i would take out that kind of dairy altoghter for a while. Also, do the corn flakes contain added sugar? That would be of concern. Why not opt for a nutrient dense breakfast, like some of the suggestions Norm makes, at least for two weeks and see how it goes. Corn flakes were a convenience box food invented around world war two.Honestly our health as a country has gone down hill since we started eating so much processed food. Stick with the basics for a bit!!

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi croline – I had terrible LPR until I found the FTD diet. I am glad to say I am virtually LPR free. I found my LPR trigger to be grains/starches/potatoes. So I alternate for breakfast either a smoothie made with plain full-fat Greek yogurt and blueberries or mango, or eggs with veggies & cheese. I used to eat organic steel-cut oats that had been sprouted overnight in whey almost every day. Thought I was being ultra-healthy, but now I know it was a contributor to my SIBO and LPR.

I think the hardest part is realizing that treating your LPR may take a lifestyle change of eating a new way. Breakfast is hard, as we have been conditioned for so long to eat cereals, toast, pancakes, etc. But once you see eliminating those things as a pathway to staying LPR-free, life gets empowering. Also, hang in there – as your gut microbes fight to re-balance and re-adjust, you will get flare-ups. Hopefully if you get to a baseline after the two week plan, you can start adding things back in and figuring out what your triggers are. Everyone’s gut flora and issues are unique, but I think Norm’s approach is a great tool for finding out.

On a good note, on top of eliminating my LPR, saying goodbye to the grains/starches/potatoes etc. has given me steady energy all day long, has cleared up my rosacea, rid me of IC symptoms, and is keeping me at my ideal weight without counting calories or going to the gym. The trade-off is so worth it to me 🙂

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I agree with Jaeme and Bearsmom Croline. If you are still having symptoms (be it LPR or other), cutting back on the grains, starches (even easy to digest rice can be a problem early on) and milk (even lactose free milk has oligosaccharides) for a week or two. Hang in there. You have others supporting your efforts to improve your health.

croline
    Participant

Thanks for your replies everyone. Perhaps I didn’t explain myself clearly. But I don’t think your replies have got the point I was making.

This diet is just not working for me. There foods that were previously “safe” for me that I have had to switch out for the diet. The new foods are giving me LPR symptoms. Some examples:

Oatmeal = safe food. Switched for Cornflakes under advice of the FT book. Gave me LPR.

Bananas and apples = safe food. Switched for Melon under the advice of the FT book. Gave me LPR.

Normal skim milk = safe food. Lactose free milk introduced under the advice of the FT book. Gave me LPR.

So I have switched back to my original diet. A lot of the FT foods advised according to the book, are foods that I KNOW to be trigger foods for me. And they still are.

The one thing out of all this that has worked is switching basmati rice for jasmine rice. Much less bloating.

But I want to point out, this is not 100% effective for everyone with LPR. Because it hasn’t worked for me, from day 1 I was having problems.
    I am going to stick to the foods I know are safe for me:
    Oatmeal, Bananas, Apples, Meat, Fish, Vegetables, Rice, Baked potato, Popcorn.

AndreaS
    Participant

Croline, FTD is not 100% effective for anything, not even theoretically, definitely not practically. We are far, very far, from understanding the causes of SIBO, LPR, meteorism etc.. Basically, we are yet at a stage where we try to quantify symptoms. That’s the very surface.
    However, many people came here to follow FTD because of very severe symptoms _and_ the fact that nobody and nothing else had helped them so far. And many found relief, about half of them even within weeks. So, there are very good reasons for FTD.
    Still, if you think this diet is “just not working” for you, please, do not follow it. Chances are it causes you more harm than it does you good. That’s not because the FTD approach is wrong. It’s because the whole thing just isn’t that simple.
    According to meds, there are, AFAIK, several well established possible causes for LPR. You haven’t said what type of LPR you are struggling with. Moreover, different kinds of LPR may overlap. Different causes may apply. Other, seemingly unrelated issues may mess things up even more.
    As an example, when I read “trigger food” my alarm bells go off. Some food might actually trigger reflux, i.e., you swallow it and within minutes you feel reflux, heartburn, cramps or similar. The underlying causes could be quite elsewhere, like food that you were eating the day before that caused certain bacteria to grow or produce gas, cloak up your intestines etc.. Friends of mine told me they immediately get bloating from drinking warm milk. To the best of what we know about our intestines, it is extremely unlikely that milk is causing immediate bloating. I had them drink warm water instead. Guess what happened?

Concluding, if you think FTD is not working for you, don’t follow it. Check back with doctors, let them know what food you tried and what didn’t work. You and your doctors know your body best.
    If you are uncertain about FTD, consider Norm’s consultation, see https://digestivehealthinstitute.org/consultation/

I am going to stick to the foods I know are safe for me:
    Oatmeal, Bananas, Apples, Meat, Fish, Vegetables, Rice, Baked potato, Popcorn.

Finally, a personal remark: I was suffering from meteorism for 15 years and LPR for almost 10 years. About 1 year ago I found some relief by sticking to safe food that matches your list almost perfectly except for popcorn. 3 months ago, I started to follow FTD. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get into it. At that stage, bloating was reduced, meteorism was gone, constipation was a new issue, and reflux was worse than before. It took about 2 months until reflux started to occur less frequently.

Note that FTD does not exclude any of the safe foods you listed. However, the amount of it is crucial. Personally, I exclude oatmeal, bananas, apples and corn altogether. It’s too easy to eat too much of these.

ftder
    Participant

I think Andrea is giving very good advice. If this were happening to me, my first thought would be to try a more extreme version of the diet, as I have read some people have done. Not forever, but for a few weeks and keep a carefull log. I believe in the FTD:IBS book that I read, it suggests cutting fructose and lactose too if you are not getting the results that you want, in case those are aggrevating things. If you know you tollerate the rice, then keep only that as your carb. Otherwise, if you “try” oatmeal and some of your previous “safe” foods again, then, as Andrea said, even if you had it three days previously, it could still trigger symptoms later because the bacteria had a feast and are ready for the next thing and this is very confusing!!

As someone with candida/dysbiosis/leaky gut/and SIBO it can take a while to clear out and rebuild an entire ecosystem!! From what I read for tougher cases, 3 months of being very strict and keeping out all questionable foods (60-70% fat, 20% protien, and a little jasmine rice) would not be an unreasonable amount of time it might take to see results. And of course, if I was not having the results I wanted here, I would recommend a consult with Norm. That would be what I would do!

Best of luck!

ftder
    Participant

I also want to chime in with a little Chinese Medicine Perspective. When our digestion is out of balance, it is tempting to blame one or two things. Maybe we blame foods, or maybe what we think of as SIBO, or Candida. But the microbiome is so very complex, as is the immune system, and the reasons why our bodies are crying out with these symptoms, likely is a result of years of assult. If we have SIBO and some of the symptoms that come with it, in Chinese Medicine they ask why? What are the underlying conditions that allowed the SIBO to take hold?? Norm addresses some of it in his book, such as low gut motility. The question then becomes WHY do I have low gut motility? A SIBO infection points to the fact that many of the organ systems that govern digestion may not be optimal. The questions get deeper and deeper and the answers more ellusive!

I can list a few lifestyle/ behaviour factors that could set one up for bacterial and/or fungal overgrowth (lack of good microbial balance) and see if any resonnate. If I look back at my own health history, I can see how I got to my SIBO and yeast overgrowth status. Antibiotics was a big one for me, and I had warning signs way before I had full blown SIBO and yeast symptoms. Here is a list of things, not all of them apply to me but I have seen these things impact chronic health issues. Prolonged use of chemical Birth Control, Disordered eating (carb-heavy meals, skipping meals, dieting), abuse of “natural” supplements (examples, excessive apple cider vinegar or coconut products), Antibiotic use, steroids, NSAIDS, PPIs, asprin, recreational drugs, excessive alchohol consumption, excessive SUGAR consumption (meaning, just daily!) prolonged vegetarian diets can sometimes create digestive imbalances in SOME bodies, excessive and prolonged stress, prolonged exposure to mold, immune over-reaction to vaccine series, gut infections, Standard American Diet, etc…

I think it is important to look at the totality of issues building up to a manifestation of symptoms because it can point to underlying issues and really inform treatment.

ftder
    Participant

Hi Andrea!

I am about 7 weeks into the diet and had to switch to a keto version (at least, I am trying this). My bloating and gas are virtually gone which is fantastic. But now I still have pressure in my sternum after I eat, and burping after I eat. You said you still had some reflux AFTER you started the diet, and that it improved after 2 additional months. Did you have to be really strict to acheive the improvments? I have cut out nuts, fruit, and rice and only keep a little dairy. I really was hoping not to cut it out. Did you basically eat meat and veggies to get to the good baseline at 3 months, or did you include some dairy or other things, per the intro diet?

THANKS!!

fasttracklady
    Participant

I just found out I have LPR. I have always followed an ‘ayurvedic’ diet. Eating lots of grains (quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat), also basmati rice. I recently heard that black rice is very good and higher nutrition than white and also that the white has been known to have arsenic. I am very confused trying to figure out the FP and so just relying on the ‘lists of foods’ to figure out what I can now eat to try out this diet.

When it says that jasmine rice is okay, I know there are different types of jasmine rice. There is brown jasmine and white jasmine. Looking online I found a company that makes organic jasmine with a different name (have to look it up) so wonder if it is ANY jasmine rice that is okay.

It will be easy for me to eats lots of veggies as I always have. Just figuring out if and how to replace rice and quinoa (which I have been eating a lot of as gluten free) with foods that are okay.

I also am confused about lemon water. I drink that all the time but then heard it is not good for LPR due to being citrus, even though I always heard it turns alkaline in the body. But I see here that it is considered okay. So somewhat confused about that.

Also someone says apple cider vinegar is good for LPR, but on some sites, they say vinegar is a no-no due to acid.

Happy to have found this list and still trying to figure out how to navigate it. Just winging it now 🙂

Thanks for any reply. Can someone send me a link on how to navigate the site. I probably should have started a new topic here, but I saw LPR so put my message here. Thanks.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi FT Lady – I am virtually LPR free thanks to the FT diet. Prior, I had been prescribed the standard acid blocker RX and the Dropping Acid diet, which just made things worse. First thing, forget everything you have been told or read about acid foods – Norm is correct, it is the fermenting carbs that are pushing the acid or the fumes up to cause the inflammation, sinus clogging, postnasal drip, sore swollen throat, lump in throat, gagging, etc. The FT diet allows lemon, tomato, coffee, chocolate and all of those no-no’s from standard medicine.

Also, forget everything you have been told or read about whole grains, etc. I am convinced they are what exascerbated my LPR, as I had been eating a whole foods – high grain diet, making my own whole grain bread every day, eating sprouted steel-cut oats every day, etc. I had a hard time eating the white jasmine rice, only because I had been ingrained not to. But then I realized 2/3 of the World’s population eats white rice several times a day. (although now I rarely eat any grains)

The biggest thing is to do the two week elimination diet, and then try adding back in foods one at a time to see what bothers you. I was fine with dairy, fine with fruit, but starchy carbs kill me. As long as I stay away from those, I am free of LPR, sinuses clear, etc. The goal is to find out what is best for you, and that differs from person to person just like our gut bacteria is unique to us.

Second thing, is once you find out what works and doesn’t work for you, then embrace it! People (including me at the beginning) want to think of “curing” the LPR or issue, and then going back to however they were eating before. That is frustrating and counterproductive. I wasted a lot of money trying to find the holy grail of grain products to replace my bread, etc. I am doing much better, and much happier, just embracing a new way of eating that works for my body. For me, that is veggies, eggs, meat, dairy, fruit, nuts and chocolate. I eat out at restaurants just fine, and I don’t feel deprived because I now feel & look better thatn I did almost 20 years ago – and that is a powerful motivator.

This forum is a great source of support and answers to questions – best wishes on this journey of discovery and road back to health!

fasttracklady
    Participant

Hi Jaeme,

Thanks for your response. I never was notified I had a response, was just browsing now and found it. Do you know how I program it so I get notified?

I appreciate your sharing your experience. I started the diet about three days ago and my shortness of breath and coughing have stopped a lot. I do feel a little weak and will have to adapt to the low-carb diet. I understand that under 30 carbs your body goes into ketosis or something like that and gets energy from fats now and it takes a while to adjust.

I am just experimenting with different foods. A lot aren’t listed in the book so am trying to figure it all out. I have a hard time figuring out breakfast. It was always quinoa or quinoa flakes with soaked raisins and dried fruit. I tried eggs and did okay, but not sure I can have every day. I always thought I was allergic to dairy because I was always clearing my throat. Now I think maybe I could try yogurt and have more eggs and that the clearing was from the LPR.

It is a whole new diet for me and hope it will be good in all ways and not only for the LPR. I am so ingrained into the ayurvedic way of eating.

All that said, it IS fun having this new learning experience. It was a real mystery until I figured out I had LPR and that was causing my shortness of breath for weeks.

Again, thanks very much for any sharing. It is much appreciated.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi FT Lady – I think you can go to the top of the thread/topic and hit the “Subscribe” link, then you should get a notification that a new post has been made to that particular thread.

Glad to hear you are already seeing changes on the FT diet – try to stick as close to the daily recipes as possible for the first two weeks, but eliminating a food or substituting an approved FP food or even swapping one day’s recipe for another should be okay as long as you keep the total FP points in check each day. I skipped most of the desserts, unless it was simple fruit & cream. I also did not use any artificial sweeteners (tried pure stevia, but that gave me headaches).

If you are keeping low on the carb count it helps to have the extra fats & proteins. Breakfast can be difficult (I used to eat sprouted steel cut oats or other whole grain)- I usually have egg scrambles with veggies & cheese, or a smoothie (plain Greek yogurt, unsweet coconut/almond milk, low FP fruit like berries or mango, handful of mixed greens, 1/8 cup or so of macadamia nuts, tumeric, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, a bit of almond or vanilla extract, and sometimes a spoonful of olive oil). I could drink these every day.

The best part of this journey of discovery is that I started because of the LPR, but after a few months I noticed a lot of other issues went away, including: rosacea & acne, skin itching, keratosis pilaris, thyroid inflammation, IC symptoms, IBS symptoms, afternoon energy slumps, burping & flatulence, and more. I thought I was eating really healthy before (whole foods, whole grains, etc.), but apparently my digestive tract was not liking that old way. It was hard to change that mind set at first, but the proof is in the results. This has led me to a lot of interesting similar research out there – truly fascinating how much the gut rules our bodies right down to enzyme supplies, immunity, etc.

Hope you continue to find improvement – keep us posted. 🙂

Bill
    Participant

Hello Jaeme,

I just ordered the book, and your posts make me confident to try the FT Diet, since I have some similar symptoms as you do – I had rosacea and I took antibiotics for almost year to get cured; and now I still have skin itching at the corners of eyes, nose, and ears, I have Thyroid inflammation too. I was diagnosed LPR about two months ago and I am on antacid med, and I tried Dropping Acid Diet for 6 weeks, does not work. So hope FT diet can help.

Thanks a lot for your sharing.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Bill – it does sound like we have similar issues (sorry to hear of your troubles). It also sounds like we’ve been down the same road. I hope the FT diet will help you find relief from LPR, rosacea, thyroid, and other issues. This forum is a great source of support & info, so keep us posted on your progress and ask questions as they arise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.