Skip to main content

Fast Tract Diet and Diverticulitis

//Fast Tract Diet and Diverticulitis
Fast Tract Diet and Diverticulitis2015-02-17T14:47:21+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Diverticulitis Fast Tract Diet and Diverticulitis

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I recently had 3 attacks of diverticulitis, the first one was diagnosed retrospectively and was self limited. The last two attacks were 2 months apart and were treated with antibiotics (Cypro & falgyl). While recovering from the infection I developed IBS, which is marked after the 2nd attack. I developed food intolerance (to sugars, Carbohydrates, dairy products). I am now about 6 weeks after the last diverticulitis attack. Is this IBS a complication of antibiotics or as a sequence of inflammation? I just read the book Fast Tract Digestion, IBS and wonder how this meal plan can fit my condition. I am scared to eat some food mentioned in the recipes like beans, gassy vegetables, red meat and tomato (acidic), berries having small seeds and nuts even ground almond flour. How to adapt fast tract to my diverticulitis?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Hanaa,
    I feel for you as these attacks can be pretty painful. Diverticulitis occurs when diverticular pouches, that at least half the population get as we age, become infected/clogged with bacteria leading to inflammation and likely gas in the pouches. SIBO is sometimes involved as well. The good news is that SIBO bacteria as well as bacteria within diverticuli feed on carbohydrates. Therefore the Fast Tract Diet should prove helpful by limiting the fuel these bacteria consume.

Some of the foods you mention (seeds for instance) have been debunked as triggers for diverticulitis. You might make a list of the foods you are unsure of and consume them in moderation until symptoms improve, then introduce them in a controlled way. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.