Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A fast Track forever?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Will this diet cure SIBO?
    Can I ever cheat? It feels very restrictive to me and not doable for the long haul. How do you ever go out to eat?

ftder
    Participant

Hi Earthgirl! The older we get, the less we are able to tolerate the amounts of carbs we had as a kid. So many people have SIBO and digestive issues, diabetes, heart disease, dare I say, cancer brewing, and other health issues. Excessive carb consumption is just not something those with SIBO (or anyone trying to watch their health) should be doing as they age. I live in the Bay Area, so maybe it is not as much of an issue as far as restaurants go. I just order a protein and two veggies when I go out. The other night I had a warm goat cheese salad and fresh greens, and roasted duck with brocolli and other grilled veggies with a sauce. Cream sauce, pesto, some indian curries, fresh mexican (grilled meats, salsa, cheese, veggies, sour cream, guacamole)-all are possible. I often go to a steak house and order steak and veggies and ask them to bring me some garlic butter on the side. I eat very well when I go out. And my weight is perfect! In fact, since I started Fast TracK Diet, I have someone asked me what i was doing and why I was looking so slim. Well, it is because I lost the bloat I have had for two darn years! My skin and waistline are better and better! At home I make all kinds of good sauces and enjoy butter, raw cheese and other healthy fats with all my meals. I am not eating rice right now, but plan to add that in later. Also, some have had luck with soaking navy beans or red lentils overnight and preparing them after soaking and eating small quantiites. Some can even eat fresh baquette and nan bread in moderation. I look at the carb foods as feeding the bad bacteria. The bloating lasted 2 years, but the malnourishment that I suffered from from with SIBO was for MANY years and took a big toll on my health. I choose to adapt my diet so that my digestion can be optimal. It feels so much better and was much easier than I thought it was going to be. Sometimes I get annoyed that I cant eat a bagel, but, honestly, then it just passes and I move on. I really do still enjoy my food!!

Jaeme
    Participant

Totally agree with Bearsmom! Once you feel & look better, you will focus on what works for you rather than focus on what does not. I honestly am fine with no grains or beans- there are plenty of satisfying meats, fish, veggies, eggs, dairy, nuts and fruits that I can eat. Everyone who knows me says I look the best I ever have, I feel great with lots of energy, my bloodwork is stellar, my skin is clear, my weight is right where I should be, and to be LPR-free is priceless. I eat out a lot now, and find that restaurants are very accommodating if need be. I ate at an Indian food buffet today, and had Chipotle yesterday (salad bowl with pork carnitas, roasted veggies, salsa, cheese, sour cream and guacamole). I find a lot of good recipes for home on Paleo sites, and adjust for any of the Fast Track guidelines or foods I have found trigger my LPR symptoms. After reading a lot of new research about the health benefits of low carb and harmful effects of sugar, grains, and starchy carbs, I am very happy about my new eating lifestyle rather than bemoan the “loss” of bagels, pasta, cookies, etc. and the sugar slumps, acne, etc. those caused.

ftder
    Participant

Hi Jaeme! You totally stole my Chipotle idea! Awesome! I just found one near me and I can’t wait to take my kiddos!! I must say I am looking forward to adding in a little fruit. I think I need a bit more time tho!

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Bearsmom, I was salivating over the goat cheese salad and the duck meal above – yum! So glad you are finding improvement with the FT diet and the forum support. Sounds like you are figuring out “your best”, which Norm says is his hope for how people will use his books. Kudos, and wishes for continued success!

Jaeme
    Participant

Bearsmom, I started with cantelope & honeydew (for some reason watermelon really makes me burp), then strawberries & blueberries, then mangoes and pineapple and eventually cherries, grapes and a bit of apple. Orange & lemon are okay for me too.

ftder
    Participant

Thanks Jaeme! I will try in that order and see how it goes. Someone that follows this diet said pineapple works and she makes a muffin with cashew flour and a fat and an egg and home-made pineapple sauce so that is something to try later.

earthgrrl
    Participant

I am very dairy intolerant. Cannot do soy.
    I am ok with goat and sheep in small amounts.

I went low fp all day and still had gas and now some heartburn.
    Still had to take anti gas meds.
    Does it take a few days to work?

It does seem like this is basically a low carb diet and in my experience, cannot be maintained for long. After the weight loss thrills are over and you have to keep passing on the chips and cake at family events, social, most people cannot do a low carb for long. Been there done that.

I had managed my IBS ( diarrhea and constipation) by adding more soluble fiber.
    But the gas Still persisted. My ND mentioned fodmaps for SIBO, but that is to hard to follow. Then I found Fast Track online. It is still restrictive but easier because onions are allowed.

I hope this takes care of the gas otherwise it’s back to just adding more soluble fiber and taking simethicone with every meal.: (

ftder
    Participant

Hi Earthgirl!

Did you read the Fast Track Digestion book?

You will not get relief overnight. It takes a few days to seem some changes, and weeks to see others. Your body’s cleansing waves have to sweep the overgrown bacteria out of your small intestine. This takes time.

Soluable fiber will move your stools, but will feed SIBO bacteria. Likely your digestive system is lacking a balance of bacteria that are needed to hold water in the stools which helps them move. Fiber is just a replacement for that. But FIBER in a gut with overgrowth, will NOT have the desired effect, as it just feeds the overgrowth. I recommend you read the 3 blog posts on this website about FIBER if you have not already. And visit the website Gutsense.org for an understanding of why fiber may not be the solution for constipation.

Taking fiber supplements is a viscous cycle. Until you stop, you will be caught in it. Magnesium can offer temporary relief while you transition to a lower fiber diet! It is REALLY helpful for me to take magnesium. When you remove certain fiber from your diet you may be prone to constipation so it is very important to increase fats, water and even take olive oil daily (up to 2 tablespoons, but less may be sufficient). Cellulose from green veggies does not tend to feed SIBO, so moderate amounts of green veggies will be very helpful. Fats are key to healthy digestion and assimilation of vitamins, and for helping move stool!

Fast Track Digestion:IBS does not limit carbohydrates. It limits FERMENTABLE carbs and lactose, fructose and sugar alcohols. It is not necessarily “low-carb” at all. But when people have significant bacterial overgrowth (such as myself) then yes, it might be necessary to temporarily cut out fruit, nuts, and even jasmine rice and potato so this would make it “low carb”. When the bacteria is reduced, you can include safe carbs, such as jasmine rice and small servings of fruits.

I understand about passing on the chips. But we are not talking about having to deal with annoying gas and heartburn. Those common and annoying “symptoms” are not normal, and they are an indicator that you are malabsorbing your food, and that your body is not assimilating vitamins and minerals. TRUST ME that SIBO can take you down a path towards chronic illness. When you start to feel a lot better and see that your digestion is working better, you will likely be more motivated to make food choices that are better for your individual digestion. We don’t have the guts of 10 year olds anymore! Sorry!!

As for having symptoms when you went low FP, I found it took 3-4 days until my bloating was gone, and now several months on the diet my other symptoms are slowing improving, all pointing in the right direction. As I said, I DONT plan to be low carb forever, and if you read the book you will see that it is not a low carb plan. IF you want more help with diet I suggest you post your questions in the Fast Track Diet Q and A section of the forum.

Happy healing!

earthgrrl
    Participant

Hi bears mom,
    Thank you for the explanation.
    I did read the book but will read again.
    Thanks

earthgrrl
    Participant

Wow, bears mom, only have of my post went through.
    I wonder what section this is. I clicked on Fast Track Q and A for my original post.
    Thanks!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.