Skip to main content

Exercise and FP tolerance?

//Exercise and FP tolerance?
Exercise and FP tolerance?2018-10-23T16:40:09+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Exercise and FP tolerance?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

One thing I haven’t really heard discussed in regards to the Fast Track Diet, is what if any effect does a heavy exercise load have on the amount of FP that one can and should consume? So if I’m doing an exercise regimen that includes lifting heavy weights twice a day and 30 min of cardio as well, do I have the same FP limits as say myself in a more sedentary schedule, just working at a desk all day, etc? Obviously we are not talking about over training, but a sustainable healthy level of activity. The general need for calories I’ve noticed goes way up, but I’m wondering if this might increase tolerance to higher FP foods, or perhaps the microbiome doesn’t give a damn how much I work out, it’s gonna ferment whatever gets thrown down the gullet?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Interesting question j. One might speculate that since our gut microbes and our bodies evolved together, there would be a way to cope with increased caloric demand. I’d be interested in finding out what you learn through self experimentation and research on the topic.

jdoublej
    Participant

Hey Norm,

Well to some extent I do find that I have an increased tolerance when on a heavy exercise regimen. Have you seen the movie ‘Crank’ with Jason Statham? In this film he cannot stop running or moving,.if his heart rate dips for too long I think he dies…this is kind of how I feel about exercise,..if I keep exercising I can keep much of my symptoms at bay, but ultimately one must have down time (this is when I mostly fast)…I dont think its a great solution, in that being an LPR guy I need to be very careful about high FP foods..but I’ve found that I can handle a banana before a workout, or a little more avocado, etc…If I stick to purely low FP foods i do struggle with energy, so I’m wondering how best to adjust for this.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I’ll have to watch ‘Crank’ with Jason Statham now. I occasionally work with carb-loading athletes. You definitely need a strategy for this approach, both in choosing foods but also getting better with behaviors and practices that improve digestion/minimize malabsorption.

jdoublej
    Participant

Well I chew like a maniac already, most meals take an hour or more…I take enzymes with every meal, even ox bile (perhaps ox bile feeds hydrogen sulfide creating organisms?)…no help from betaine HCL, so I’m not sure what other behaviors to focus on. I’ve actually spoken with you on the phone and plan on contacting your office pretty soon schedule some consults…Its nice seeing that the diet has a positive effect on symptoms,..but given a lot of my limitations with fats, coconut, ghee, etc I am feeling a bit depleted,..so hopefully we can improve on this scenerio.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.