Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Question – if I want to deviate off the diet occasionally, would taking a specific enzyme just prior to eating help to prevent Gerd? For example – if I want to eat a DQ Blizzard, would taking lactase ahead of time help? Or if I want to eat a Chipotle burrito with black beans, would taking Bean-o ahead of time help?

Chris
    Participant

Lactase pills do help when I eat foods with lactose. The symptoms I notice most when I fail to use lactase are in the lower GI, but it may be helping to limit upper GI gas too.

I have no experience with Bean-o.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Ronnie- since my triggers are starches, I use enzymes such as amylase & cellulase, and they really do help. I use a product called Acid Ease by Enzymatic (do not confuse with antacid products by same name). Acid Ease does not have protease, which is hard on inflamed stomachs. I have tried Beano before eating hummus & a few pita chips, and had no issues. I have learned to try one thing at a time so I can pinpoint what works, what causes problems, etc. Norm did post on here favorably a few months ago about different enzymes and what foods they address.

It has taken 6 months, but with the FT diet, help from a nutritionist & some supplements, lots of kefir, and one mainstream medicine I am virtually LPR-free and adding back foods like pizza and chocolate (had my first two squares of pizza this week since January- heaven!)

Jaeme
    Participant

P.S.- once my stomach healed up, I was able to add a Betaine HCL product called Zypan by Standard Process, and have been adding foods back with good success.

Jaeme
    Participant

Ronnie- you asked about probiotics. Make sure they are enteric-coated or delayed-release so they make it into the intestines. Norm did say on here that lacto-strains will create gases, so try one without those strains. I found a Rite Aid brand called “Probiotic Digestive Care” with only Bifido strains that is delayed release. For one with Lacto strains too, I use Probiotic CD by American Health.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Jaeme,
    One small clarification: While some lactobacillus strains can produce gas under some conditions, Lactobacillus acidophilus is not one of them. It’s a “homolactic” fermenter making only lactic acid (gut healthy) from fermenting carbs. Bifidobacteria strains tend to be “homolactic” fermenters under most conditions as well.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks for clarification Norm (I couldn’t find your original post). Many probiotics have multiple strains of Lacto such as plantarum, rhamnosus, salivarius, casei, & fermentum etc. Also Strepto thermophilus, etc. Is there a good reference for probiotic bacteria you recommend?

For us LPR folks, someone recommended a “throat probiotic blend” that has Baccillus coagulans, Streptococcus salivarius K-12 & M-18. Any thoughts?

hazymandolin
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience of using an amylase supplement? I’m thinking it might help in situations when you can’t avoid high amylose foods…

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Hazy! I am having great success with an enzyme supplement that is mostly amylase, as the FT diet helped me figure out that starches are my triggers. It is called Acid Ease, and contains mostly amylase with a bit of lipase & cellulase. It is by Enzymatic Therapy and labeled “especially for sensitive stomachs” (I had a hard time with protease causing pain). I love the Acid Ease and have added a Betaine HCL supplement, and am eating almost normally (just keeping starchy carbs to small portions).

hazymandolin
    Participant

Thanks for the info Jaeme! I will check that out. I did some research and found a pure amylase supplement by Theramedix called AMS but perhaps one with added cellulase would be better. I guess it is a case of trying and seeing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.