Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD EndoStim – Strengthening the LES

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Searching for more options to heal from GERD i found a new procedure which seems promising.
    EndoStim device is placed into esophagus and train it via electro-mio stimulation.
    Here is the description: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3599161/

It is already performed in Europe (in Germany since this year) and it will be available in USA maybe in 2017-18year.
    It seems like it maybe very helpfull for people with completeley not working or too weak LES.

What do you think about it?

JI
    Participant

I think that is an exciting development. Other forms of surgery to treat the LES seem to be so invasive, and the results are not stellar. It would be great if it could be fast tracked to the United States. Thanks for the post!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good find. Fascinating study and encouraging results: “Patients reported better symptom control at 3 and 6 months compared to baseline on and off PPI. GERD-HRQL composite and individual question scores at 6 months were statistically significantly better than on- and off-PPI scores at baseline”.

But it did involve invasive procedures and there were several device / procedure related adverse events: “A total of 32 adverse events were reported in 14 patients. One adverse event was reported as “serious adverse event not related to the device or treatment.” The remaining 31 adverse events were not serious. Five events in four patients were reported as possibly or definitely device-related (three implant site pain, one localized infection, one dyspepsia) and seven events in six patients were reported as laparoscopic implant procedure-related (three implant site pain, three postoperative nausea, one localized infection). Not sure how they characterize two infections as “not serious”.

It will be interesting if the results can be confirmed in double blind, placebo-controlled studies.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good find. Fascinating study and encouraging results: “Patients reported better symptom control at 3 and 6 months compared to baseline on and off PPI. GERD-HRQL composite and individual question scores at 6 months were statistically significantly better than on- and off-PPI scores at baseline”.

But it did involve invasive procedures and there were several device / procedure related adverse events: “A total of 32 adverse events were reported in 14 patients. One adverse event was reported as “serious adverse event not related to the device or treatment.” The remaining 31 adverse events were not serious. Five events in four patients were reported as possibly or definitely device-related (three implant site pain, one localized infection, one dyspepsia) and seven events in six patients were reported as laparoscopic implant procedure-related (three implant site pain, three postoperative nausea, one localized infection). Not sure how they characterize two infections as “not serious”.

It will be interesting if the results can be confirmed in double blind, placebo-controlled studies.

Pompadur
    Participant

That;s right it is invasive procedure unfortunatelly. But it looks less unpleasant than fundoplication or even Lynx, as it is made to restore LES function.
    Anyway it is only in the beginning of practicing in Europe now. It is too new to make any conclusions about it i guess… I think there won’t be ideal treatment that fits everybody. But it gives some more hope anyway.

PS How to create a user icon here? 🙂

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good points Pompadur. Very encouraging.
    PS How to create a user icon here? Don’t know. Thee must be a way. I’ll see what I can find.

Pompadur
    Participant

Thank you Norm! 🙂

JI
    Participant

I guess I enthusiastically overlooked the adverse events. Still, it sounds preferable to Nissan Fundoplication, wrapping and stitching the stomach around the esophagus. It also sounds better than the LINX bracelet, as there is some question about whether the device will eventually loosen erode, or implant itself into the esophageal wall. With time I imagine the EndoStim procedure will improve to cut back on complications.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.