Skip to main content

Drinking liquids with meals?

//Drinking liquids with meals?
Drinking liquids with meals?2014-03-12T23:40:10+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD Drinking liquids with meals?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have been reading many books on the topic of healthy digestion. Several of them mention that you should drink plenty of fluids 30 minutes before and after a meal, but not with them. The thought is that drinking water or other liquids with meals makes the food expand in your stomach, causing gastric distress. I always felt that drinking with meals was beneficial to “move things along”. Some sources say that sipping red wine during meals may be beneficial. Norm, I am especially interested in your thoughts on this. I cannot imagine eating a meal without liquid accompaniments. Again the conflicting information is confusing me.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi JI, As I have written about, drinking with meals and throughout the day makes sense to me. Less viscous chyme makes for easier release of gases through belching and aids the digestive process. There is an idea that you can dilute digestive enzymes out with too many fluids. I have seen no evidence this occurs.

Jaeme
    Participant

HI JI – one other idea for the no drinking during meals is to make sure you are using your saliva to full advantage to start the digestion rather than diluting it or having the water make the food feel ready to swallow before it is mixed enough with saliva. I think it was Norm who wrote that some enzymes in saliva only work until they hit the stomach acid (my apologies to Norm if it was not him). One way around this to just make sure every bite is chewed really, really well (almost liquid) and then take sips of water in between or wait to end of meal to drink (but not 30 minutes). No way endorsing this, but just FYI, my ENT said to not drink with meals as it makes your stomach over-filled and forces reflux back up, and she said not to drink anything within a few hours of bedtime as a belly full of water/beverage will also force acid back up (only a few sips of water before bed). Sounds like something mainstream being taught, just like acid causes reflux, not the other way around. BTW – did you see my post for an article about research that supports the gut microbiota theory behind the FT Diet?

JI
    Participant

Thanks for the replies, Norm and Jaeme! I will look at that post, Jaeme! I love this forum. It is so helpful!

Jaeme
    Participant

Me too, JI! And same for you, and Norm too! To quote the Red Green Show (a PBS comedy), “I’m pulling for ya, we’re all in this together!” 🙂 Look for the article link in the post titled “New Research Says Norm is Correct!”

JI
    Participant

Good article, Jaeme! Oh, I remember the Red Green Show!:)

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good point Jaeme on not diluting your saliva. First chew well without drinking! I should add that clarification in the next edition.

Kelly
    Participant

My chiropractor just told me yesterday not to drink anything with meals, because it dilutes the stomach acid. But now that I think about it, pH is a logarithmic scale, so I think it would take a lot of water to make a difference.

I’ve also read in the past that if you’re drinking enough water throughout the day, you won’t need any drinks with meals. That’s been my experience — pouring a glass of something doesn’t even occur to me.

Another reason for me not to drink with meals is that it’s recommended for weight loss, to make you feel full faster. That’s the opposite of what I need.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.