Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Looking to satisfy a sweet-tooth? Start posting/searching here.

While looking for sticky rice flour recipes (thanks to Greer for posting Sticky Rice Flour Balls on another thread), I found a Yummly page on “Glutenous Rice Flour Desserts” with several recipes that could be adapted. Here is one, that should work if you replace the 4 tbsp. regular sugar with Splenda/Dextrose/FP sweetener of choice, and use coconut milk or lactose-free milk in place of regular milk:

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Turkish-Salep-530707?columns=5&position=1%2F53&columns=5&position=1%2F53

Jaeme
    Participant

Here is another that should work if you use Splenda/Dextrose for castor sugar and cream for evaporated milk:
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/19833/coconut-mochi.aspx

Greer
    Participant

I posted a Corsican (ricotta) cheese cake on Low FP Recipes 2 before I saw this thread – it is yum. (no glutinous rice flour in this one)

These sound great Jaeme – wish I could have coconut milk.

re the glutinous rice flour Norm pointed out (see on Low FP recipes 2 thread) that the FP may be higher for glutinous flour than for sticky rice – I guess until we are sure how we and others react that we should go slow on these especially if the food is cooled after cooking.

JI
    Participant

I can’t wait to try some of these recipes once I am done with the Whole30. I am on day 22 of 30. I look forward to making Norm’s cheesecake recipe from FT Digestion Heartburn again.

Greer
    Participant

Just a further post about the Ricotta cheese cake – have made it again with less lemon and some vanilla added – yumm! It is wonderful served with a dollop of good quality full cream unsweetened yogurt – can add some chopped strawberries too.

here is original recipe again
    Corsican Cheesecake
    • Serves: 8-10
    • Oven temperature: 180°C (160C fan forced) think that is 350°F /330°F
    • Cook time: 40 to 50 minutes
    • Pan: 20 cm springform cake tin
    Ingredients:
    500 g fresh ricotta cheese
    ¾ cup Dextrose (less would be fine too)(I do not like Splenda but worth trying with that if you like it)
    1 lemon, finely zested
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1-2 tablespoon of a flavoursome alcohol (such as Cointreau or Grappa)- I just use a generic low alcohol orange liquor
    5 large eggs

How To:
    – Preheat the oven. Butter a 20 cm springform cake tin.
    – In a bowl, combine the cheese with ¼ cup of dextrose and the lemon zest. Use an electric mixer and beat until well combined. Stir in the lemon juice and alcohol.
    – In another bowl, with electric mixer, whisk the eggs with the remaining sugar for about 5 minutes until thick, pale and foamy.
    – mix in the ricotta mix to obtain a creamy texture make sure well mixed – DO NOT over mix.
    – Pour the mixture in the cake tin and bake in the oven for around 40+ minutes longer better I think or it is very wet (I turn it to fan forced for 20 mins after the 40 mins) but keep checking it might be different in your oven.
    – ***(very runny mixture which might leak form your spring form pan – put pan of water underneath to catch drips – water stops it burning)
    – Allow to cool before turning out.
    – Chill

budgiemom
    Participant

I made these recently and they were too good to keep to myself. I realize that many of the ingredients would appear to have a problematic FP value (coconut flour, cocoa powder, etc), however if you make the full recipe and a yield of 18 cookies, according to my calculations, one cookie is only an FP of 5. And it’s certainly a decent enough sized cookie to satisfy a sweet tooth. So yummy. I wouldn’t exactly call them “chewy” though, as the name suggests. More of a soft than chewy cookie.

Enjoy!

Kelly
    Participant

Anybody looking for sweets or on-the-go snacks, have you heard of Larabars? http://www.larabar.com/products/larabar
    Most of them use dates as both binder and sweetener, and the rest of the ingredients are whole foods. At least some of the varieties must be low-FP.

It’s also possible to make them yourself, to save money and control the FP. http://eliminatinglimitations.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/frugal-folks-lara-bars/
    I wrote this recipe pre-FTD, so you’d want to sub dates for the raisins and maybe nuts for the coconut.

budgiemom
    Participant

Hi kcholman,

Have you calculated the FP of Larabars, by any chance? I love them and would love to work them back in if possible. The peanut butter cookie one is SO good! Can’t recall if it is sweetened with dates but I will check.

Thanks for the suggestion and recipe link.

Kelly
    Participant

No, I’ve always made my own. I bet that one would be low-FP because of the ingredients. But in order to calculate for sure, you’d either need the GI of the bar, or the amounts of the ingredients.

I just discovered FTD a few days ago, so I haven’t edited my recipe or done the calculations. Assuming this diet works for me, eventually all my recipes will include FP information, and I’ll be making up new ones too.

ronnie
    Participant

Hi again Norm, In your book you advocate for Splenda but not Stevia. First, I have a graduate degree in toxicology, and am not convinced the safety studies done on Splenda will be so benign in the future – a molecule with that much chlorine just doesn’t belong in the body, imho. Also – regarding Stevia – you pretty much swore it off as an alternative due to the presence of sugar alcohols (grrrr Cargill…), but I’ve found you can buy pure Stevia (on Amazon!) for a less than outrageous price. Fyi.

simply6daisies
    Participant

Mock Peanut Butter Pie

1 Phil cream cheese block
    1/2 cup Splenda
    1 cup organic sunflower seed butter
    1-1/4 pint heavy whipping cream
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 tbsp Splenda
    16 Nilla wafers crushed
    2 tbsp butter melted

Cream cream cheese with 1/2 cup Splenda. Add sunflower seed butter (peanut butter also fine but I’m allergic). Make Norm’s whipped cream recipe in separate bowl & fold into cream cheese mixture. Place Nilla wafer crumbs into pie plate & mix with melted butter to have crumb crust. If cream cheese mixture too thick then add a little more whipping cream. Pour in pie crust & freeze until set.

I have no idea how to figure FP on this, but tried to make proper FP changes. My grandmother used to make these for us & we loved it. Of course, her recipe included crunchy peanut butter, confectioner sugar, cool whip topping and store bought graham cracker crust.

Any FP feedback from the math whizz people would be great! ENJOY!

JI
    Participant

Hi simply6daisies,
    If I calculated correctly, the FP for that amount of peanut butter is 36.32, cream cheese 4, sweetener (Splenda or dextrose) 0, heavy cream 5, and vanilla wafers 9.66. I assume butter is 0 since it has no carbs, fiber, or sugar alcohols. The sum total is 54.88 FP. If you cut the pie into 10 pieces, the FP of each slice is 5.488. Remember to purchase peanut butter that does not have sugar or other ingredients added. That will raise the FP.

I could not find the GI for sunflower butter, so could not calculate the FP.

simply6daisies
    Participant

Thanks so much JI. I use plain sunflower seed butter (no sugar, salt or preservatives). I buy it from Swanson Health. The only sweetener is the Splenda. It was divine by the way. Also, I could eat it just as well without the crust. Just crumbling one Nilla wafer over a slice before serving would also work.

JI
    Participant

I used the GI for sunflower seeds. The sunflower butter is higher total FP than peanut butter, at 60.4. Cut into 10 slices, each slice would have an FP of about 7.9; 6.6 if you cut the pie into 12 pieces.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.