Skip to main content

Desiree Potatoes experiences?

//Desiree Potatoes experiences?
Desiree Potatoes experiences?2014-06-09T13:51:59+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Desiree Potatoes experiences?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was wondering what people’s experiences with Desiree potatoes were. The FP seems to be miraculously low (a 7th of Butternut squash for example) and I’m going to start trying them in my diet. But there’s no mention of them in this forum.
    The carbs count is still quite high (for me), so I’m interested how others have got on with them in relation to their symptoms.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Thanks for looking into this type of potato Danb. I’m not sure they are available in the states. Are you in Australia?

Jaeme
    Participant

There are specialty potato seed companies that sell Desiree starts you can grow at home, but not sure of any one sells these finished at retail. Best bet if you can’t/don’t want to grow your own would be local farmers’ markets.

danb1
    Participant

They are quite common in the major supermarkets in the UK. Commonly used for fluffy mashed pots 🙂 I was only drawn to them by their inclusion in the FT Heartburn book. I guess its their glycemic index that lead to a low FP, is that right Norm?
    I shall tentatively try them and report back.

cmcuk
    Participant

I have tried them. and they seemed ok (though I am very early days so still having some PR symptoms). The other types of potato mentioned just do not seem to be available in the uk! as someone who loves her chips and baked potatoes (usually massive ones about 300g I now realise..) this is going to be a real sacrifice (but worth it, I hope!)

cmcuk
    Participant

Oops LPR not PR!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Growing your own is a great idea Jaeme.

Yes danb1, they are low FP. Please do report back on well you tolerate them.

Jaeme
    Participant

I am growing my own Red Pontiacs in containers right now- hoping by harvest time I can tolerate them. Potatoes bothered me more than any other food so far, so I have not eaten any in three months.

danb1
    Participant

I will report back. Currently experiencing a return of my symptoms, so need to work out why that is first 🙁

hazymandolin
    Participant

Having recently had huge success with jasmine rice (over my previously consumed basmati), when I return to England in 10 days time I am going to give desiree potatoes a try. I will report back.

(Norm – I can’t thank you enough for the work you have done. I have read both of your books as I have both acid reflux and IBS and am seeing great improvement)

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I’m happy to hear about your success hazy!

Andeo23
    Participant

Would red potatoes be similar to the Desiree potatoes? They look very similar.

hazymandolin
    Participant

OK, so it took me a while to finally find some desiree potatoes, but I eventually did and ate them last night, mashed with a little (homemade) sour cream and eaten alongside some roasted lamb loin fillet. I can’t quite believe it but I am delighted to report that I have had no repercussions whatsoever – no IBS attack, no pain, no bloating, no gas, no nothing!

Mashed potato was always a major trigger for IBS for me, it would have me in agony within 20 minutes, and so I haven’t eaten it for over two years.

Norm, you have brought back mash potato to my life – I can’t thank you enough.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

That’s fantastic news. Hazy. Where did you find them?

hazymandolin
    Participant

They suddenly appeared in my local supermarket (Waitrose in the UK) – I have been looking for them for a while and then one day – Voila!

I had to buy a large 2kg bag, so it looks like I will be re-testing my system several times over 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.