Skip to main content

Desiree or Pontiac Potato???

//Desiree or Pontiac Potato???
Desiree or Pontiac Potato???2014-07-14T23:10:24+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Resistant Starch Friend or Foe? Desiree or Pontiac Potato???

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Norm,

I live in the US…what is the closest thing we have to these potatoes? Is your typical garden red potato similar in terms of FP? If not, what type of potato would you recommend for us US folks? Thanks!

cmcuk
    Participant

This prompted me to contact the potato council here in the UK. They have a list of potato varieties and have noted other smooth potatoes e.g. Mozart which I am now thinking might just be low in amylase too? (that variety is more regularly available in my local supermarket). Anyway asked them about this so will let you know if they reply. Is there some similar board in the US? C

AndreaS
    Participant

Apparently, the GI (and hence the FP) varies a lot for potatoes. I live in Austria, and unfortunately, I have no idea what potatoes are the ones with low FP. So far I couldn’t find any of the names of Norm’s table in our supermarkets 🙁
    Whatever potatoes I buy, at least I stick to baking them in order to lower the FP, hopefully.

JI
    Participant

In general, redskin, yukon gold, and fingerling potatoes will be lower in starch, therefore FP, than say russet potatoes. The lower FP potatoes hold up better when boiled (the kind you use for potato salads).

cmcuk
    Participant

the potato council have ignored my request – sorry folks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.