Skip to main content

Deprived Colon Bacteria?

//Deprived Colon Bacteria?
Deprived Colon Bacteria?2015-08-10T00:01:54+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Deprived Colon Bacteria?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Norm,

I commend you on your insight to realise FP and create a diet around it.

I’ve suffered from IBS / SIBO and spend time reading as much as I can on digestive issues, especially on the subject of the microbiome.

Experts in this area (Sonnenburg – The Good Gut & Huffnagle – Probiotic Revolution, for example) tend to strongly emphasise the importance of high fibre, high resistant starch diets to maintain a healthy microbiota within the colon. Obviously they are not taking into account SIBO, as you have done.

My question is this. Given the Fast Tract Diet is designed to deprive SIBO causing bacteria in the small intestine of their required fuel, would this approach not also deprive the bacteria in the colon of the same fuel and lead to an unhealthy / unbalanced colonic microbiome?

If this is the case, then is the FTD intended more as a short term treatment for SIBO? And if so, can it really be expected to eradicate SIBO as Dr. Pimentel’s protocol does?

Best

Kei

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Kei,
    Good question and one I have thought about quite a bit. I think the answer is in two parts. The first part has to do with changes over the years in our microbiota. With rampant use of antibiotics and preservatives, there is no doubt the diversity of our gut microbes has been reduced. This change could make it more difficult to process huge amounts of fermentable and complex carbs as we may have once been able.

The second part has to do with how we count fermentable carbs. The strict definition focuses on dietary fiber in it’s various forms. But I think the definition should be expanded to include all carbohydrates that routinely escape digestion and absorption and are available for fermentation. Thus I created the FP formula to measure this. The number of fermentable carbs is also higher for people with various carbohydrate intolerances – lactose, fructose intolerance, etc. You can add fiber and resistant starch intolerance as well. In addition to fiber, other foods containing fructose, sucrose, lactose, resistant starch and sugar alcohols have many of the attributes of dietary fiber.

When you look at things in this way, we are not starving our gut microbes but more likely overfeeding them. The typical Western diet contains well over 100 grams of fermentable carbs per day. This is much higher than the 12 grams of dietary fiber per day cited by Sonnenburg and others. Over feeding our gut microbes can result in blooms of bacterial growth but a less diverse microbe population overall.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.