Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, I’m new here. I have lots of questions, but I’ll stick to dairy for now. I’m not lactose intolerant that I’m aware of; or, rather, I don’t get digestive issues when I eat dairy, and when I had allergy testing done last year, they told me I was not allergic to any foods. But I follow a Paleo-style diet and don’t eat dairy very frequently. In the last five months, I’ve had dairy about six times (yogurt, cheese, and milk chocolate), and five out of six times, I ended up with congestion, a cold, or a full-blown sinus infection within 24-48 hours. So now I’m pretty wary of dairy products. Frustrating, because I love cheese and plain yogurt!

Should I get tested again, specifically for lactose intolerance? Will lactase enzymes help me if I’m NOT lactose intolerant? A lot of the recipes in the book have light cream or yogurt in them…should I give light cream or heavy cream a try, or should I wait until my symptoms start improving before reintroducing any dairy?

BTW, I have LPR, asthma, and allergies. I am not currently on any meds, but I take Vitamin D and magnesium supplements.

49barefoot
    Participant

Search my other posts or google histamine intolerance/sensitivity– I’ve discovered that I have a histamine intolerance, and ALL cultured products are high in histamine. It greatly contributes to my reflux, and the list of symptoms is amazing. It’s a challenge to try to eat low fermentable carb and low histamine!

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi KellySensei – there is a big difference between food allergies, food intolerances, and food sensitivities. Other components in dairy can cause symptoms besides lactose, including casein protein. Your sinus symptoms sound like an intolerance or sensitivity, especially with the delayed reaction time.

kellysensei
    Participant

Sucks to be intolerant to both gluten AND dairy.This diet would be so easy if I could eat dairy…and nuts. In addition to my dairy problems, I break out in pimples almost every time I eat nuts. I’ve tested negative for those allergies, too. Any ideas why nuts would cause acne? 🙁

kellysensei
    Participant

I’m wondering if I’m overestimating my dairy sensitivity or if I’m wrongly attributing symptoms to dairy. I was thinking about it today, and I realized almost every time I’ve had dairy the past few months, I’ve also had grains, starches, or a bunch of sugar with it. For example, in October I had yogurt a couple times with a bunch of granola. I was congested within hours, but maybe I was reacting to sugar or oats? Perhaps unlikely, but possible…On Valentine’s Day, I had feta cheese as well as a milk chocolate dessert, but also a pile of French fries…maybe my mild/moderate congestion the next day was from them?

I guess I’ll continue to experiment, but I’m looking forward to trying heavy cream or plain yogurt again in a couple weeks – I’ll be sure to have no grains or sugar with it!

Jaeme
    Participant

Google Gluten & Sinus – lots of info about gluten sensitivity causing clogged sinus, etc. delayed reaction. For me it is all starchy carbs.

JI
    Participant

I recently discovered that I have a sensitivity to lactose. My Gastroenterologist advised that I give up lactose for a couple of weeks to see if it cut down on excessive gas/bloating. I noticed a great difference when eliminating milk, substituting with almond milk or lactose-free milk products. Hard cheeses are no problem since they have very little or no lactose. As we age, our body sometimes loses the ability to properly digest lactose. It’s pretty easy to eliminate lactose for a week or two to see if that is a problem for you. A couple of other family members have this problem as well. I don’t know if it is hereditary, or just very common.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.