Skip to main content

Crohn's Disease and Diet

//Crohn's Disease and Diet
Crohn's Disease and Diet2014-02-03T18:20:12+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Crohn’s Disease Crohn's Disease and Diet

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Here is a place to discuss the connection between Crohn’s Disease and diet.

Dogwood31
    Participant

Hello, Norm! Thank you so much for continuing the research on this topic. I have Ulcerative Colitis, another Inflammatory Bowel Disease, but didn’t see a section on your forum to post for this topic, so I am linking it in with Crohn’s.

I had been following Elaine Gotschall’s recommended Specific Carbohydrate Diet until I read your book. I am now making changes to eliminate the high FP foods that she included. I would really like to include the foods that you say are safe, but have some questions about how to add them without aggravating my condition. When I am having a flare, I experience cramping and bleeding, and so hesistate to include foods that the medical world says irritate the lining of my colon- like nuts, raw vegetables, and fruits with seeds in them. Would you advise altering the early weeks of the low-FP diet to omit these foods for people with a badly-damaged gut lining, or is your diet safe to jump into? How can I help to heal the raw lining of my colon, as I also try to starve out the bad bacteria?

Thank you for your help!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Dogwood,
    I have done some research on UC. Unlike Crohn’s, UC is a condition that specifically affects the large intestine. though there are some anecdotal reports, I could not find convincing evidence that this type of diet helps with UC. I looked for publications focused on treating UC with elemental diets, SCD, low residue diets, low FODMAP diets etc. I can’t tell you with any confidence that the Fast Tract Diet will help with your situation.

On the other hand, there has been some exciting new findings suggesting that olive oil (Oleic acid) supplementation may dramatically improve UC.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/187397.php Have you heard about this or tried this approach?

Dogwood31
    Participant

Hello Norm! Dogwood31 here from almost 3 years back. Delighted to report that after 3 years on the SCD diet using the GAPS method of implementing the diet, I am off medication, symptom free (and have been for 2 years), and introducing a few starchy foods like potatoes, quinoa, and sourdough without difficulty. On the GAPS diet I used LOTS of pastured animal fats, meats, meat stock and bone broth, veggies, nuts, eggs, and fermented items made from raw milk and vegetables as the GAPS book suggests. And I did also use lots of olive oil as you mentioned- but unheated and cold-pressed.

I included my family (husband and three children) on this diet and have watched their more minor health problems and my own resolve- rashes, sensitivity to insect bites, stress-related fevers, joint pain, headaches, and Rosacea. We rarely get sick and when we do it is minor and resolves very quickly. We used to get frequent colds and fevers with complications like sinus infections that would keep us from recovering.

I so appreciate your work and the insights gained through reading your book- even if I went a different route in treatment. The microbiome in our bodies is incredible and can seriously affect health. I am so glad to have helpful resources to help correct imbalances.

Just thought you or others may like an update on a case of Ulcerative Colitis. Blessings!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update. I’m very happy to hear you are doing well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.