Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Does anyone have a GI value for corn starch? I’ve searched the forums, and I can see that it has been discussed before, but I could not find any value in previous posts (or online).

I typically use it to thicken the sauce in slow-cooked meat dishes, so I only use a spoonful in an entire pot of food – but it would still be nice to make sure that the FP contribution is not too large. Has anyone tried tapioca starch to thicken a sauce? (I see it used for baking all over the place, but not in a sauce…)

AndreaS
    Participant

You see, there is a basic problem with calculating FP values for individual ingredients such as corn starch or wheat flour: GI values are gained from controlled experiments where volunteers actually eat or drink the food to be tested. But you don’t find many volunteers that eat plain corn starch ^_^

Whereas cornflakes seem to be a favorite food for many. It’s been tested a lot. The values of the U of Sydney database range between 75 and 95. Personally, I assume an average of the GIs of cornflakes for corn starch, so 85%.

sivert
    Participant

Thanks, that’s a good approximation. I suppose it’s not super important since you only use a small amount in a sauce.

I’ll try to work up the courage to try tapioca in a sauce…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.