Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Constipation Constipation Solutions and Challenges

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey all I really need some help. On week 3 and the constipation is getting worse and worse which is bringing back my gas, burping and bloating (UGH!). I do take magnesium but it is not helping much. Someone on this thread wrote that they are getting about 200 grams per day of fast track low FP carbs to help the constipation. I started looking up the carb count and that seems like a TON of veggies which would put one over the FP limit? I am really struggling with this. For example, 1 whole cup of raw beets has 13 grams of carbs. And Gie said they were eating 200 grams of carbs per day?? Did they mean to say calories?? What am I missing? I was trying to get a very low FP because I still had a little gas and burping so I cut out fruit and now I am really backed up. I am eating a lot of fat and drinking a lot of water??

Also I am thinking to take out the rice for now but don’t want to go into ketosis and not sure how to do this with low FP veggies? Thanks!

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Bearsmom- 3 weeks was about the time I struggled with constipation. I made sure to eat greens with every meal, drink lots of water, chew food to liquid and was at about 300-400 mg. Magnesium Citrate tablets at night (the Citrate form works best for drawing water into bowels), and a few times did resort to a suppository. The good news is this may be a sign of your gut flora switching over, but your bowel systems have not readjusted yet. After another week or two, my bowels caught up to the new eating plan, and now I am more regular than before the FTD diet (and almost no IBS either). Are you taking a probiotic or eating fermented foods like kimchi or kefir? Those seem to help me a lot. Hang in there!

ftder
    Participant

THANKS Jaeme! That is so exciting!! I would like to think that things are finally shifting for me! I took a bit more magnesium last night and woke up an hour earlier than usual and that combination seemed to help! I did not have ANY gas this morning which was really cool! I am being extra carefull about water and veggies so I hope that helps. I still have some burping? But it is minor so I will keep going. I had to take out all fruit to keep my FP really low, I hope I can add that back! Kind of miss my 1/2 cup of berries!! Thanks again for your perspective. It really helps!!

ftder
    Participant

CMC if you haven’t come across this website before, I think the author provides a lot of insight into constipation and how it becomes a lifelong issue and how we always use fiber as kind of a crutch. Interesting to read. http://gutsense.org/gutsense/constipation.html

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good conversation but tough topic. There may be a rational reason some people find that higher fermentable foods like oatmeal help with constipation. When fermentation occurs, the gas may help move the stools. But this is a double edges sword. More gas means other symptoms – bloating, reflux, cramps, etc. Also, many people have methane forming archea organisms present which convert hydrogen gas to methane, potentially making the problem worse. The other challenging aspect of constipation is that there are many other possible causes including, bowel dehydration, muscular and neurological issues as well as scarring or bowel obstructions.
    Assuming the absence of more serious issues, I think ensuring adequate hydration is the first thing to confirm. If your body does not have enough fluid it will take it from you stools. The second thing is doing what you can to limit the amount of hydrogen gas (eat low FP) which can potentially be converted to methane. After that, green veggies containing cellulose ensures any gas produced is in the large intestine – where is might be more helpful moving stools yet less likely to give rise to excess methane. The third thing is consuming lots of fats including olive oil.

ftder
    Participant

Norm, THANKS! That is very helpful! I hadn’t realized that cellulose was being broken down in the large intestine. I sometimes have minor gas during a bowel movement and hoping that means it is from all the veggies I am eating on my LOW FP plan!

cmcuk
    Participant

BTW, just wanted to thank bearsmom for your advice. Have looked at gutsense. am using my own version of the morning drink they sell (calcium citrate, magnesium citrate and potassium citrate) initially this really guaranteed a daily great quality BM. I have since been ill an d was having rather loose daily BMs, sometimes just with water and lemon juice and sometimes need this mix still.
    It seems to work. so Thanks.

smithsteven4005
    Participant

The causes of constipation are lifestyle changes, side effects of medications, consuming unhealthy food items, taking plenty of stress etc. To prevent this illness one should focus on healthy eating, follow a healthy lifestyle etc. There are several ways to treat constipation like home remedies, yoga, exercises and medications. One should try to get rid of this illness in a most natural way. For more information about health tips visit dazzlemeds.com

smithsteven4005
    Participant

dazzlemeds.com is the online pharmacy where you can get latest information about health.

49barefoot
    Participant

Just found this online article interesting, after doing some google searches about motility. http://www.livestrong.com/article/542804-spices-that-stimulate-peristalsis/

Jules
    Participant

I’ve had constipation issues for the last decade, more often than not going three days with nothing happening. Psyllium husks did not agree with me at all and this website has explained the reason for that – fibre is not the solution. I found olive oil and orange juice to be reasonably good but I was still not regular. However, from the very day I started juicing, around a month ago, I’ve been regular 98 per cent of the time. Before breakfast I would juice less than a half a cup and before lunch and dinner it would amount to about a generous one quarter of a cup. I use mixes of vegetables like carrot, beetroot, cabbage, cucumber, celery.

I might add that I’ve been on a very low carb diet since mid December 2014 while I wean myself off seven years of Nexium use so the positive response I’ve had could mean the groundwork was laid by the VLC diet and the introduction of juicing tipped the scales in the right direction. Otherwise I have no explanation for the dramatic change.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

You may be onto something Jules. Though not constipated, I tried just an ounce of juiced veggies and it loosened things – that didn’t need to be loosened – right up.

Jules
    Participant

Hi Norm
    Your response made me smile. It’s surprising that such a small amount of raw vegetable juice can provoke such a response. I still wonder whether the low carb diet, at least in my case, provides the platform for the juice to have such good effect but as I have never juiced in my pre low carb state I can’t be sure.

fasttracklady
    Participant

Thanks to bearsmom for sharing the website gutsense.org. I have been following the recommendations and it seems to be working well so far. I did order the product
    Hydro-C and expect things will get better after starting that.

Also thanks to Jules for sharing about the juicing. I have also been doing that.

So diet has worked to completely get rid of my symptoms of LPR, including cough, shortness of breath, and clearing of throat, and constipation is well on the way to improvement!

Jaeme
    Participant

Great to hear FT Lady!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.