Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Constipation Constipation Solutions and Challenges

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What helps you with constipation and what hasn’t helped?

My constipation hasn’t responded to any medication or home remedies. Fiber like salad and lacto-probiotics make the constipation worse.
    Now I finally found some relief in taking broad spectrum digestive enzymes prior eating as gut motoric then seems to kick in about 1h after eating and I often have some bowel movement every 1-2 days now (before it was 1 time a week) . The funny thing is that it only works when I take the enzymes 20-30 minutes before meal. If I take them with meal or empty the capsules into the food directly it does not have the same effect.

Any logic why this may be case?
    Hope this may help someone else as well.

cmcuk
    Participant

can’t say this si coming from any place of expertise and have only just ordered broad spectrum enzymes, but was reading something talking about using proteolytic enzymes for biofilm (http://bodyecology.com/articles/biofilm-how-this-slimy-coating-is-causing-chronic-fatigue-fibromyalgia-irritable-bowel-and-more#.U5XspO8U-cw)[I hope its Ok to post another website on the forum – I have not posted before] and if I remember right they said to take them AWAY from food.
    In terms of SIBO, if you have biofilm in addition to imbalanced flora (and indeed presumably protecting the unhelpful bacteria), then the effects of the enzymes used in this way might relate to the difference you are finding, as I also understand that a large proportion of faeces is bacterial and the enzymes may then be disrupting the biofilm?

Just a few thoughts from someone who is no expert
    (and is alo still struggling with the constipation herself and interested to hear others reactions to my (tentative) thoughts).
    ps very pleased to hear about the beets (which I had assumed were out), as raw beets has been a staple fro my longstanding sluggish bowels…

Irina_RN
    Participant

hi,

I’ve been on the FTD protocol for about 2 weeks now. It has helped relieve me of about 80-90% of my symptoms (depending on the day), which is great considering I couldn’t even eat or drink prior to this diet. But, I find that I’m still constipated and can’t fully empty my bowels. I just finished my last dose of antibiotics (I had severe SIBO), I take 100 Billion probiotics every day (https://www.biokplus.com/en-ca/biok-probiotics/extra-strength-probiotic-capsules – recommended by my GI). I keep my daily FP total below 30 (usually around 20-25). Magnesium citrate, citracel, miralax, and all these similar types of laxatives only serve to make things worse. I can only have a bowel movement with stimulant laxatives (I have extremely poor motility and I do take prescription medication for that). I also stay away from FODMAP foods
    I’m wondering, is there something in the FTD protocol that I’m forgetting to follow?
    Or, is this an additional problem to the SIBO? Is it due to the antibiotics I was taking?
    Should I be concerned about leaky gut? (although if it is leaky gut, i’d have so many restrictions, I don’t know what I would be able to eat anymore)
    Do i just need to give this more time?
    I try to drink as much as I can, but with the constipation if I drink too much, I get really bloated. I can drink about 4-6 glasses a day at most.

Thanks,
    Irina

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Irina – Eating lots & lots of fresh mixed greens salads (shred up greens in my morning omelets, big salad 2-3 c. greens for lunch, and smaller side salad with dinner) seemed to help. Fermented foods such ad kimchi, sauerkraut, and kefir seemed to help. Are you able to tolerate any of those foods?

Irina_RN
    Participant

thanks for replying
    I’m also following the FODMAP diet and the fermented foods are not allowed so I haven’t tried to see if I can tolerate them (although I’m not sure if I need to follow the FODMAP – that’s the diet I was following before I found the FTD protocol).
    Also, that’s a LOT of food. Until I found the FTD protocol, I literally couldn’t eat for days at a time so my stomach isn’t used to that much food. It’s only because of the FTD procotol that I can even have 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. I’ve been aiming for 1 cup of greens a day and that’s been a lot for me. The past week or so I’ve been on a different brand of probiotics that’s about the time that I started getting slightly more constipated and bloated. I’m inclined to think that maybe these new probiotics are the culprit?
    Someone on this thread recommended these probiotics: http://www.iherb.com/Healthy-Origins-Probiotic-30-Billion-CFU-s-60-Vcaps/19518
    because they don’t have the strain of bacteria that are implicated in causing excess gas? I think I’ll switch to that brand for a bit and see how I do.
    Thoughts?

Irina

The Stig
    Participant

I just found this supplement, it says it doesn’t ferment so it wont cause gas or bloating will have to try this out. http://www.fibercon.com/ibs/help

Also Citrucel http://www.citrucel.com/Ch1_Gas.aspx

Irina_RN
    Participant

To The Stig: thanks for your reply. I’ve tried several types of fiber supplements (even those that say they wont cause bloating) and citracel (among others), and they all cause horrible bloating and constipation so I think I’ll stay away

cmcuk
    Participant

Just thought I would pop this down. tea made with fenugreek seeds seems to be helping me at the moment. I drink at might and in the morning. Its not a laxative in intself, but seems to keep things going enough that with everything else – magneiusm, water and exercise, I am not having to use actual senna.
    worth a try?
    I think it may form a mucilage – would this mean it has FP’s? hope not!

Irina_RN
    Participant

Hello All,

I hope I’m posting this in the right place. I had great success with the FTD diet after I switched my probiotics – I was even able to decrease the dosage of some of the medications I take (yay!). But after about 6 weeks of feeling awesome, my symptoms started coming back. I went to the trouble-shooting section of the book and I followed the suggestions to keep FP intake under 20 and total carbs under 20 and to decrease fibre intake. So I’ve done this for a week and I don’t really see any results (other than it might have stopped the progression of the symptoms from becoming worse). When I originally started the FTD protocol, it only took about 3 days to get results and my symptoms were much worse then so I’m really confused as to why this is happening. Do I need to restart antibiotics? (I don’t really want to but I will if I need to)
    I’ve even tried just eating protein and fat and that doesn’t seem to help either. Is this just stubborn symptoms that will go away on their own eventually? Or is this a sign that something else is going on?
    My symptoms are constipation and bloating.
    I’ve been focusing lately on good sources of carbs and fibre, but I’ve been keeping my daily totals of FP and carb at around 10 so I’m well below the limit for troubleshooting – is it too low?
    Can stress realistically cause a resurgence of symptoms? I’m in the midst of midterms right now. If so, what can I do? (I can’t stop studying for school…)

Any help would be super appreciated
    Irina

arutherf
    Participant

Hi,

This is my first post 🙂 I purchased the book about two weeks ago and was excited to try and add some carbs as I would like to gain some weight and am trying to get pregnant currently. I have SIBO with constipation but have taken antibiotics for it and am feeling significantly better (rifaximin and neomycin-was treated at NCNM clinic). I’m writing because I see that Buckwheat is listed as a “High” fermentable but Buckwheat pancakes are listed as a “Low” fermentable. Does someone know why this is? Has anyone with constipation or SIBO experimented with the Buckwheat pancakes and is there a specific pre-made flour mix for these pancakes that the table in the book is referring to? Has anyone experimented with Tapioca Flour? I am a little confused about FP with tapioca flour for baking.

In terms of what has helped me with my symptoms overall, I have noticed a lot of improvement through avoiding fruit-of all kind-probably because of the fructose aggravating SIBO. I also have found that so far I can eat puffed rice cakes which was quite exciting going from no grains 🙂 We’ll see about other things going forward.

Akavery
    Participant

Norm, I’ve read the study done that proved that constipation is supposed to actually be improved by a low- fiber diet. However, I’m just wondering why I’ve have gotten more constipation since starting the fast tract diet. To me it kinda makes sense because of the added dairy. I’m just trying to understand it all because when I used to take oatbran in my oatmeal every day I seemed to be fine. Now I’m having hard stools, straining and going less. What solution have you found for constipation? Being on the diet yourself and being its founder, what have you found that works? Eating more greens? Tons of water? Just wondering because I’ve relied on whole grains, fruit and veggies for the longest time and used to be fine in the constipation realm (minus the bloating of course!) Thanks so much for your insight!

ftder
    Participant

Akavery, have you tried magnesium oxide? (I use twinlab brand) I could not live without it. On this diet your body is changing its whole ecosystem and some of the stubborn bacteria that cause constipation can take a long time to go. Have you tried Bifidobacerum probiotic? (I use one by Natren that does well past the stomach acids) it is supposed to improve peristalsis. Also, digesta-lac by natren contains the probiotic that creates the lactase enzymes that help digest milk. You can read about it on their website. They are a very good company. Assuming you drink a big glass of VERY warm water in the morning and allow time to relax for a BM before leaving the house?

ftder
    Participant

Irena what is the probiotic you are taking? Some can REALLY stop you up and cause bloating for all kinds of reasons. If I were you, I would recommend stopping the probiotics and then starting again with single strains, such as found at Natren (NO LOL I don’t get any money for recommending them). I read on Amazon of people having good luck with the SBO probiotics, in particular Prescript Assist but my doctor does not use SBOs at this point. Just curious how you decided on the probiotic that you are using?

cmcuk
    Participant

Just looking at the discussion between yourself Norm & Jaeme in March this year – did so, as have just come across revital (https://www.revital.co.uk/-Allergy_Research_Cellulose_Powder)
    which claims not to feed unhealthy bacteria. I get all the stuff about low fibre may not be the problem we have been led to believe, but my own experience tells me that a bit more fibre is helpful (e.g. when I use the raw beets).

Just wondering about people’s thoughts on this?

Cmc

ftder
    Participant

This is interesting, thanks for sharing. I hope someone tries this and posts an update. I am too early in the diet to expiriment, LOL.

In my doctor’s clinical practice, she gets pretty good results when people make “poop soup” LOL. This is celery, cabbage, brocolli, small amount of onion, steamed and the pureed (hopefully with emersion blender), seasoned with favorite seasonings and butter or olive oil. This is basically a whole ton of cellulose. It actually makes a very nice soup for any meal of the day. I don’t know why, but cashews help too!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.