Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Constipation Constipation Solutions and Challenges

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The powder Citrucel does have some maltodextrin, and sucrose listed towards the end of ingredients. It is listed with 17 g. of carbs per serving, and 2 g. fiber.

Citrucel does now come in a pill form that does not have the sucrose, and is listed as 0 carbs.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Funny how a fiber supplement has more sugar than fiber. Yes, the sugar free version for sure!

ydeetje
    Participant

I am taking green magma at this moment, because my constipation is not over yet ( sorry Norm :-() There is maltodextrin in it also and some grinded brown rice!
    Could this also cause problems?
    When I get up in the morning my eyes are very slimy and I have to use eyedrops to get a clear sight!

Jaeme
    Participant

Citrucel is the only “fiber” that advertises “no gas”, and that seems to mesh with methylcellulose having low fermentability.

What are your thoughts on marshmallow root and slippery elm for mucilage? Are these fermentable?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Marshmallow root is an herb and slippery elm is made from slippery elm tree back. I don’t think either would have much in the way of fermentable carbs and are OK in that regard. Of course, so many herbs and other supplements have not been rigorously tested so I would avoid taking high amounts just in case some side effects emerge.

Laura P.
    Participant

I have found that psyllium is helpful for diarrhea but not for constipation. The odd thing is that it is normally recommended for constipation, but it doesn’t work for me at all for constipation. I’m wondering, though, if psyllium is a good thing to be taking for diarrhea that is related to IBS or SIBO.

Jaeme
    Participant

Since the FT diet consists of foods that should be digested and not non-digestible fibers that bulk up the colon, there should be much less volume of stool correct? Would this alone give the impression of constipation, as there would be less bowel movements?

Jaeme
    Participant

Just read an interesting passage regarding constipation from the book “Protein Power” based on two different types of fatty acids (EPA from cold-water fish and AA from meat and particularly egg yolks):

“EPA tends to bring water into the colon, and AA tends to reduce water to the colon. If you are constipated, you probably need to more EPA. If you have diarrhea, you need less EPA. One bowel sign that indicates this EPA/AA balance is whether stools float or sink. Increased water in the colon produces stools that are less dense and tend to float.”

Laura P.
    Participant

I forgot to say what helps me the most with constipation. It is just plain water. I’m sure I just don’t drink enough water most days, but if I have a problem, I go drink a large glass and find that it helps in less than an hour. It might not work in every case, but it’s certainly worth a try.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I couldn’t agree more Laura. Water, water, water. We don’t tend to drink enough. Most headaches caused by the same.
    Jaeme, Thank for posting the Protein Power info – One of the best books ever. I got to know the Eades Drs when I lived in California. Two of the smartest people I know. Mike has a personal interest in heartburn and helped me really think things through on the gut connection.

SherryL
    Participant

I use Miralax daily to combat constipation…some days I have to resort to the Magnesium Citrate. I have discovered that the grape flavor (Mag citrate) is much more palatable than the lemon.

I, too, cannot tolerate increased fiber-makes things worse.

I regularly cook with coconut and olive oil and have tried the ACV in water and lemon juice/salt in warm water, but only the Miralax and Citrate work for me.

I do drink 1 gallon of water over the course of a day.

Question: how much maltodextrin per day is ok on fast tract? (seems to be in alot of things especially artificial sweeteners)

Anonymous

I’ve been battling constipation for a long time even doing the fast tract diet and lots of greens and water did not help, the only thing that helped was 1 tb of my organic whole husk psyllium. Knowing this could be a fermentation problem I knew I needed to find something else. I kept reading about magnesium on this site but knew my level was good 2.mg/d. All because of JL posting about whole 30, I went on their forum and found out about natural calm. It’s only ingredient is magnesium and I am having great results with only using 1/2 tsp at night before bed. Again thank you Norm for this forum and thank you JL.

Anonymous

I’ve been battling constipation for a long time.( That was the only good thing about being on PPI, aside from having to go about 4 times a day.) I’ve upped my water intake and lots of greens to no avail. The only thing that continued to work was my organic whole husk psyllium. realizing this could be a fermentation problem I knew I had to find something else that would work. Thanks to this site I learned about magnesium. The only thing was my levels were good 2.0 mg/dl. when JL posted about whole 30, I went on their site and their forum talks a lot about magnesium. They recommend a very natural product that only has magnesium as their ingredient. I’m doing the minimum dose 1/2 tsp at night with great results. Thank you Norm for this forum and thank you JL.

Anonymous

Thank you for your post the magnesium really is helping.

ashimlfc
    Participant

Since last 2-3 days i am having problem of stomach ache. I went to the medical and they prescribed me a medicine for gastritis but i still feel the pain and its unbearable. What should i do?

medical device design

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.